Quantcast

Thoughts on Ipswitch in Chesapeak

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So I thought I'd throw this out, just to see if anyone has ridden this trail. If you have, what are your thoughts?

I know this trail has had some issues, with it getting thrashed, etc. However, it is super close to where I am trying to buy a house, so it cannot be ignored for potential.

Someone give me a heads up, I am going to try to get out and ride it in some fashion this week. If its good, and you're around, anyone interested in some trail work? I love trail work, makes me feel like I did something that week.

Let me know...

Mar 29, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
It used to be an outlawed trail that was patrolled by cops and they'd take your bike if you were caught. There were a few murders there in the late 90's which made it that way. The city cleaned the area up a lot and renamed what we all know as Ipswich (it's the neighborhood on the trailhead) to Indian River Park. College Park (the area) wasn't the most saught after area of town, but it has cleaned up a lot. My buddy actually just got a sick place right on the east side of it. There are a few areas around there that are still sketch, but you'd figure that out if you see a guy with a shotgun on the front porch and a three-legged dog standing on a brokedown 1972 El Dorado.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i've lived here since 94 and dont ever remember hearing about any murders out there and i was riding xc hard and heavy at that place from about 94-98.

there was and still is a slight thug element to it, but that hasn't been bad for a while either.

it is DEFINITELY going through a renaissance (sp?)
the xc loop is being restored AND 26rs are FINALLY starting to show up in a few numbers to jump, whereas before it was exclusively the domain of the bmxrs

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I've been riding there most of the last week, just hanging out back. Some interesting individuals to be sure, but no worse then any of the places I've ridden in Texas or New Orleans.