Quantcast

thoughts on kink apex?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i got one few weeks ago. i'm loving it.
swapped the tires to khe park - and its at 22.6lbs - pretty darn light for a complete.

also since i snapped this picture i've swapped out the stem for a kink relief and threw on some Plegs. fun fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fit is one of the other companies I'm considering. But I used to live in rochester and rode from time to time with the guys who ran kink and got to ride their personal warehouse from time to time... call me weird but its kind of a personal connection to their brand.

its a good build for the price, i currently have a bike that is a total tank and i'm looking for something lighter... and this seems to fit the bill well. a few parts i'd swap out in the long run. Then again, i'm not a super aggresive bmx rider.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I completely understand you w/ having some history with Kink wanting to go that way. I did the same thing with Solid, hell I almost have a Solid complete.

My wife would say go with Kink, she loves Chris Doyle. I don't much care since he's such a dope azz rider

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
buy the frame you really want and buy my parts.

225 shipped.

animal grips
dirt harry lever
T1 Ruben bars
Primo Hi-Def stem
Thompson seat post
Odyssey SR seat
Odyssey evo brake
Primo front wheel
demolition - city light rim rear ( needs few spokes, still ridable and easily fixed)
extra 11 driver.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i have an apex too, and I love it. the one problem i've had is that the dropouts or so small and the chain has stretched out more than any chain i've ever seen. i had the real wheel slammed at first and the chain was tight. now its about a centimeter back and the chain is very loose. i haven't tried any tensioners yet, but most of them will not fit such small dropouts.

that is my only real complaint though. besides that the bike is killer, and blows any other complete away in terms of what you get for your money. its also my favorite looking complete, along with the eastern asesino. considering how cheap the kinks are on danscomp now, I would definitely go with the apex.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have an apex too, and I love it. the one problem i've had is that the dropouts or so small and the chain has stretched out more than any chain i've ever seen. i had the real wheel slammed at first and the chain was tight. now its about a centimeter back and the chain is very loose. i haven't tried any tensioners yet, but most of them will not fit such small dropouts.

that is my only real complaint though. besides that the bike is killer, and blows any other complete away in terms of what you get for your money. its also my favorite looking complete, along with the eastern asesino. considering how cheap the kinks are on danscomp now, I would definitely go with the apex.
yea i noticed when the kink guys were rolling around on these newer gen frames that the dropouts were mad short.

what chain are you running? I've tossed around running a half link chain on it to help compensate. I'm currently on a kmc z chain and haven't had a ton of chain growth other than the initial stretch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pulled the trigger and did it. Upgraded some parts from the get go too:
-odyssey elementary stem
-animal hamilton pedals
-animal delarosa grips (not installed yet)

there was an issue w/ UPS and some of my stuff went missing... currently waiting for UPS and dan's comp to get this figured out.

but i have a matching red tree sprocket coming, and a pair of kink light bar end caps.

And yes, I know I still have to cut my bars.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
looking nice - pull all the stickers - u'll like it more :)
i want to snap/post up some pics of mine since i threw kink relief + barends, animal stump, plegs and KHE's on.
big bars feel kind of nice. just a bit bizzare to get back on my 24" wide barred 24" bike after this one.

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Just came in today - WOW! Great bike, landing flat ground threes like it's nothing. Definitely a good buy considering the sale Dans is having right now.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i had been looking at one of those right before i got my stolen, but they were too expensive. the stolen was a bargain, but at a little over 28 lbs, it's a tank. i really want to take some weight out, i tried another guys 23-ish lb rig and it was far easier to 180 and just felt better. looking at how much replacement parts cost, it makes me wish i spent more at the outset.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i swapped the stock stem out for an odyssey elementary, and got hamilton pedals instead of those stock POS plastic pedals. I ordered a Tree lite sprocket as well, but some stuff went missing from my order while UPS had it, the sprocket being one of them. This issue is still pending, I called Dan's Comp literally 15 minutes after I got the order because I noticed the sprocket and a few other things are missing. They were all in the box when it left Dans Comp warehouse, but while UPS had it stuff went missing. Waiting to hear what the UPS investigation turns up.

I've got a set of odyssey 41Thermal cranks, are those lighter than the stock cranks on the bike?

Had no idea the stock tires are so heavy.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
haaa! those stock POS plastic pedals rule and i buy them for all my bikes. U should give them a chance. they are THE lightest option available and plenty strong. give them a chance man.

stock tires are about 20-21oz a pop - KHEs are 13.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
cranks, i'm not so sure about.
as far as pedal grinds and stalls - no worries. just give em a chance, for real. and use your hamiltons when your second pair of plastic pedals is on the way.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i'm probably just gonna take the crank arms and weigh them.
nice.. that would be cool. i'm also curious in that weight....

man, i looked at my kink this morning, and it had a random flat that just "happened" overnight for no reason... dont u just hate that!?!?!
maybe its the 110psi that did it....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

man, i looked at my kink this morning, and it had a random flat that just "happened" overnight for no reason... dont u just hate that!?!?!
yup. I was having that problem on my last bmx. after several thorough inspections, i discovered a VERY small portion of a single strand of braided cable poking through the tire. what a b*tch.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY

i think you just found the problem with khe tires. did you get the park or street?

iceman720

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
I was thinking about getting the specialized fuse 3 complete, but now I think I'm going to save up another 100 bucks and get me the apex. I'm not sure if it would be smart to wait until the apex 09 comes out cause there will probably be a price drop on the 08 right? or do you think danscomp will sell out of the kink apex 08 before the 09 comes?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i would definitely say save up the extra money for the apex. I used to work at a specialized dealer so we had all the fuses in stock. got a chance to ride around on a few of them and... let me just say that you'll be MUCH MUCH happier with the kink. Its absolutely worth an extra hundred bills.

edit: I just checked blackout's site (blackout is the sole distributor for kink) and the 2009's aren't shipping until may. The only difference between the 08 and 09 apex are the rims, paint job, and the frame is drilled for a gyro.