Quantcast

Thoughts on Norcos

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Looking at the A-Line Park....anyone have an opinion on either the brand or that bike specifically....I ride a big hit now, bike looks identical except for the seat tube tower....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
They aren't a bad brand. The only issues I have ever heard were the stays near the bb cracking, but that was about five years ago. I'd like to think they addressed that problem since then. I haven't been hearing about that problem lately.

I'm too lazy to look it up - what kind of parts spec?

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
sweet parts where it matters....888 with external R&C matched with a rocco, truvativ cranks, x9 shifters/deraileurs, sun MX rims I think...cheaper than a Demo 8 for sure and the exact same suspension...

Oh and Merry Christmass Andy...still smiling from our ride on the 21st, we need to get back out there soon!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Way to say what I said in three words, Ted!:rofl:

Merry Xmas to you and yours as well, Mike. Yeah, that was a blast last Friday fo-sho!!! Too bad you didn't stick around for the last two runs and the drive out where Scotty's car broke down. Luckily it didn't get dark until after we got out of there. Good times!

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Hey lets be honest they all roll off the same line in Taiwan (specialized, intense, diamondback, kona, norco, raleigh, etc....)

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I was eyeing the Norco Dh before I bought my Intense. Strong as hell and they finally started to get them lighter in the last few years. I'd rock one in a minute.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
they are good bikes. for the ching its not a bad option. its kinda hefty and a little slack h.a. but you could lower your fork and that would help take care of it. and some of the stuff on it is kinda hevy but its not a bad bike at all.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
no more hefty than a demo or the bighit I am running now I dont think....or am I off on that and it wil turn out to be a 55lb tank

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
The bighits aren't that heavy. In fact I was surprised that the bighit was almost a pound lighter than my m3 when I had them stripped down. The newer Norcos are in the same realm too. You can get them down in weight no problem.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
other stuff I was looking at to be honest was either a used demo...or getting the goldtec rear stays for the big hit to run a 26' rear wheel...I dont really like the feel of the VPP stuff so intense and santa Cruz are kinda out (ex the new bullit). maybe a Rocky but nat a real fan there.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
GHY Bikes in Renton has an A-line and all 3 of the new Shore models in stock.

They have a very solid looking line up for 08, the all new Shore's and Six's are spot on in the Geo, spec and looks deptartments if you want something that will pedal to the top. The DH and A-lines models benifited a lot from Shaums March's input when he was a leading there race team a couple of yrs ago. Whenever I am racing in CA, I end up talking with a Norco rider named Tim (timmigrant) who must hit up every race in BC. He's pretty honest and has awesome things to say about the DH model for whatever thats worth.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
dont forget about turner cant go wrong with a turner but if your trying to do the dh bike on a limited budget you should look at the transition blindside my friend really likes his but he also works for transition but he has a good sense in bikes too i would rock one of those before i rocked a norco and you know people that can help you get a new build kit for a reasonable deal.

Cavedood

Chimp
Dec 22, 2007
ThreeSixOhhh
All the new smaller Norcos are sick bikes. For the prices they come with solid parts, and now that they fixed the geometry and the weight issues the frame are much nicer now. I would definitly jump on a Norco before I get on another Transition, I had a rough few months riding a BottleRocket and Ill never go back.
The biggest problem I have with Norcos bigger bikes is how tall they are. The BB is so high that the bike feels off balance, and because the BB is tall, they have to raise the rest of the bike, resulting in a tall top tube giving you little standover.
Checking on the price and spec for that bike in particular though, Im not that impressed. $3800 can get you a lot of bike, Id also look at other options. (Ironhorse Sunday, Turner Highline, Intense Uzzi, Moorewood Shova, etc...)

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
Hey the Turner idea is not bad. I happened to have one that I am spamming you with right now. Check the for sale section!! I am selling the Turner in order to ride one of those new Shore 1's. It should be here any day.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Hey the Turner idea is not bad. I happened to have one that I am spamming you with right now. Check the for sale section!! I am selling the Turner in order to ride one of those new Shore 1's. It should be here any day.
Funny...Ted and I were discussing that you might still have that up for sale a couple of days ago. Thanks for confirming that notion! If I had the coin for that beast, you would have sold it by now.

I don't, though.:monkey:

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
never ridden one actually but I really like the specialized horst link...hence the norco. I will pm you in early jan about the rim ...

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The BB height on most of the Norcos is actually pretty low. I'm not sure where CaveDood is coming from on that one. The new shore is just a hair over 14 with big tires (2.5 nevegals are way taller than 2.5 maxxis). The Six measures a hair under 14, the Fluids are all mid 13s. Quite low actually, inline with IronHorse and Specialized. The DH is also super low, and the Aline seems big from the seatmast, but it's lower than most DH race bikes (low 14s).
Geo on the Norcos is great. Not following stupid fads like ultra short chainstay length. I always felt that my Demo was really sketchy at speed and put your weight way too far back because the stay was too short. 17 - 17.25 is great for a trailbike and 17.25-17.5 is great for a DH bike. They got sick builds for the price, the frames are real well put together this year. They did a good job.