Quantcast

thoughts on Swinger -vs- Float

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm comparing 2 Cannondales, the 03 Jekyll 600 and the 04 Jekyll 1000. There are some differences between the bikes, but the biggest differences are, 1) rear shock: Manitou Swinger -vs- Fox Float L, and 2) price: $1500 vs $2400.

For the way I ride, the swinger will be the most significant upgrade for the Jekyll 1000 (Other upgrades include better Lefty fork, hydraulic XT brakes vs mechanical Avids). But is it really worth it? Is the swinger (or any SPV shock) really the dominant shock for an all mountain/trail bike?

In a nut shell... how much better is an SPV shock (Swinger, 5th Element, etc.) compared to a good "traditional" Fox shock? Is it night and day, so to speak? Is it a once-you-ride-SPV-you'll-never-go-back kind of thing? Or is it just a good upgrade?

Thoughts?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well for one, i'd never own a Cannondale. but i would if it had a swinger front and rear.
i've ridden the 04 1000 and it does rock. i've also ridden about everything else that has a Swinger on it, or 5th air. they're amazing, very good investment