Quantcast

Thoughts on the Pink Mono Minis?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Im building up a bike for the g/f and we want to go a little overboard with it. Pink I9s are in the works currently so I have some time to get the rest of the parts....

Im a BIG fan of avids and shimanos, and am hesitant towards trying something else. Whats the general consensus on the Mono minis? How good is reliability?

thanks

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
A buddy of mine got a pair for his GF's Yeti. She has the pink King hubs, headset, etc. They match pretty well in color and she says they have tons of power, good modulation. They were easy to set up too from what I gather.
He ordered them from monkamoo.com and got a great deal.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Why is it that a girl's bike always has to have pink??

My girlfriend's dh bike has no pink on it whatsoever.

She's rocking pink zip ties on her little bike, but that's it.

There's got to better way to get women exicted about their bikes?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I wouldn't mind owning some (not pink though). But I'm very happy with my Magura Louises.

Has the price come down on the Minis? Speegoat's got them for $185/brake. I seem to remember them going for upwards of $250 each the last time I looked.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I wouldn't mind owning some (not pink though). But I'm very happy with my Magura Louises.

Has the price come down on the Minis? Speegoat's got them for $185/brake. I seem to remember them going for upwards of $250 each the last time I looked.
Nah...Hopes are pretty spendy. The cheapest I've seen for a set of the pink ones was for $399 on ebay. At least they come with the upgraded lines, I guess. The Mono Mini Pros are even pricier.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Brian HCm can hook you up. Our mutual friend bought them for his wife's nomad. It's already decked out with Pink Chris King, Hopey, Grips etc. Can't wait to see it on her ride.

Evidently there is a limited number.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Found a set, on the way... thanks guys.

And to answer the "why pink" question. Its the same reason I like flat black and skulls and beer. Im a dude, shes a girl... and I guess they like pink alot.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hopes are great when they actually work. The front one worked fine but I've had nothing but problems from the rear brake. I have spent more time working on that fvckin brake than actually riding it. I could never bleed all of the air out of the line. I've had several shop mechanics work on it to no avail. Every time I wanted to ride I would have to pull out the pads and burn off the contamination with an acetylene torch. Which makes my studio smell oh so good. I even sent it back to Hope, still no power. I replaced the pads and only got one ride before it leaked and contaminated the pads. I spent close to $30 on brake pads that I only got to use once. Because of the poor performance and even worse customer service I will probably never purchase another Hope product.

If aesthetics are your only concern then the Hopes are hard to beat. They are the most beautifully designed and machined brakes you can get, but they are also the most inconsistent performers out there. Looks, to me, just are not as important as function especially when descending some of Western NC's steepest and technical trails.

I've used Hayes, Maguras, Shimano and just recently bought a set of Avid Juicy 7's. Not counting the Avids(haven't installed them yet) the Maguras were the strongest and required little maintenance. However their price and parts availability made the Avids a better choice as I can get 2 Juicy 7's for the price of one Magura Gustov.