Quantcast

Thoughts on Ti spokes?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just got my Titus ML-1 frame in the mail last night. Now I Need to start building it up.

I have a bit of a Chris King "problem." They're the only hubs I like, so I want to use them again on this bike.

I want some colored spokes, ala Industry Nine style.

The only thing I've seen for colored spokes are the Ti spokes by Marwi. However, I am a "large mammal" and the idea of Ti makes me nervous.

Any thoughts? Any idea on where I can get colored spokes? Will I9 sell me some?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ti spokes suck. They just have too much flex to build a reliable mountain wheel. The weight savings isn't extreme either.
Either buck up and get the I9s or powdercoat some stainless spokes.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i like my marwis. they're the lightest conventional spoke i'm aware of (no idea how the i9's compare), and have been surprisingly problem free on my big bikes. i've got a front wheel from 2001 that's still on the same spokes (3 rim swaps) that i've been keeping alive out of curiosity of longevity. though i've had a couple rear spokes snap (back in the bad old hucking days) i've certainly broken more steel spokes over the same period. granted, i only weigh 160 & have a kickass wheelbuilder (me) to keep them in shape - though they do build a surprisingly stable, low maintenance wheel.

still, wouldn't recommend them for crushers, and they're silly expensive. they do look cool, though.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I have a few wheelsets (dh, all mountain, 29er) built with ti spokes like the ones pictured above. They have been very reliable. A ti spoke weighs about half what a steel 14g spoke weighs, so they save about 100g per wheel.
If you just want colored spokes, Atomlab has red and white spokes and Halo has white.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Stainless spokes take powdercoat well. Tape the threads, drop em off at the local PC'er, and you are set.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I9 spokes aren't any lighter than steel, just stiffer, and more brittle.
They are also a good deal thicker and therefore incompatible with your king wheels.

Count one more vote for powdercoated stainless spokes.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Ti spokes work well on rigid bikes because they give a certain amount of cush...other than that I wouldn't use em, too much flex

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I inherited an SS wheel with ti spokes and a King hub...I am also larger (5'8", 190...) and have yet to have any of the anticipated problems, yet. After over 3k miles, none. Yet.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I built a set of wheels a long time ago with DT ti spokes when they were still making them. never had any issues although I noticed the spokes stretched a little similar to triple-butted spokes...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ti spokes are great if you ride bike path XC and weigh less than 150lb. I had a set of ti-spoked cronometro wheels and they were terrible. i weighed 156 at the time. You could feel those wheels flex and they were straight pull, too.

I say rattle can your steel ones....no sense in powdercoating unless you really have too much money.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ti spokes are great if you ride bike path XC and weigh less than 150lb. I had a set of ti-spoked cronometro wheels and they were terrible. i weighed 156 at the time. You could feel those wheels flex and they were straight pull, too.

I say rattle can your steel ones....no sense in powdercoating unless you really have too much money.
Now there's a thought.

Buy some expensive ultra-lite wheels that have a weight limit.

You'll have an incentive to loose some flab. You know, like buying a skirt that is a size or two too small.