Quantcast

Thoughts on two-tube setup?

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
I was thinking about running two ultralite tubes this season and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. I'm between running diy tubeless and two tubes. A guy on Instructables did this with a commuter bike so this plan isn't to my credit. I'd drill another hole in the rim for another presta valve. One tube would be empty and the other inflated. In the event of a flat, simply hop off bike, finish deflating the flat tube and hook CO2 up to the spare. You'd never have to take the wheel off and could keep you in a race that would otherwise be lost. The drawbacks would be the weight of the extra tube, (I wonder if running the extralite tubes would cause much more frequent flats), and the cost of the light tubes. The hole would be negligible as trials bikes have drilled rims frequently and seem to be strong enough. I'd be racing XC in Southwest Virginia.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think a two-tube set up would be good if you just put one tube in the rear tire and one in the front. :biggrin:

Nice idea though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I was thinking about running two ultralite tubes this season and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. I'm between running diy tubeless and two tubes. A guy on Instructables did this with a commuter bike so this plan isn't to my credit. I'd drill another hole in the rim for another presta valve. One tube would be empty and the other inflated. In the event of a flat, simply hop off bike, finish deflating the flat tube and hook CO2 up to the spare. You'd never have to take the wheel off and could keep you in a race that would otherwise be lost. The drawbacks would be the weight of the extra tube, (I wonder if running the extralite tubes would cause much more frequent flats), and the cost of the light tubes. The hole would be negligible as trials bikes have drilled rims frequently and seem to be strong enough. I'd be racing XC in Southwest Virginia.
PM Westy where you live. He'll be over shortly to discuss this matter with you.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Rather than go through all that trouble, just get Stans.

My luck the deflated tube would have a flat when I go to fill it up.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
If you do try it, make sure you do it on a thrift store bike first. Run over some goat head thorns or something.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Rather than go through all that trouble, just get Stans.

My luck the deflated tube would have a flat when I go to fill it up.
:stupid:

Run enough pressure that you don't get pinchflats and stop worrying about it. The chances of a thorn popping one tube and not the other seem pretty slim. I'd run Stans or a Kevlar Belt on the outside of the tube before I ran two tubes. Both would be lighter and more reliable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wouldn't the fact that one of the tubes has to wrap around the other tube's valve stem significantly increase your chance of flatting?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
In the Old West, cowboys would kill rattlesnakes and stuff them in the tires when they got flats. (True story.) I think I'm cool cause I ride 2 miles into the woods. I ought to try riding across 50 miles of desert on a safety bicycle, in cowboy boots, on dead rattlesnakes.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. I am just diluting the knowledge with trivia.

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
Both good points, that's why I figured I'd ask for opinions before drilling any holes. I have to think about something like that for a while before performing irreversible work. I'm thinking the tubeless may be the better idea. Anyone use the system on the net which uses 20" BMX tubes and latex? Or should I bite the bullet and accept the fact that I'm gonna have to wait on shipping?

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
What's even funnier is that the guy who started this system never realized that if you're going to pinch an inflated tube, the uninflated one is much more likely to get pinched and split too.
Obviously, the guy using it has no problems for his uses. Whether it's acceptable for mtn biking and racing is a completely different matter.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Both good points, that's why I figured I'd ask for opinions before drilling any holes. I have to think about something like that for a while before performing irreversible work. I'm thinking the tubeless may be the better idea. Anyone use the system on the net which uses 20" BMX tubes and latex? Or should I bite the bullet and accept the fact that I'm gonna have to wait on shipping?
I've used it and it works well, though can be difficult to setup. It is also almost impossible to effectively change out your tires, hence the reason I've never considered it for the long run. But if you want tubeless and you have the time to set it up it is a very cheap DIY.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you are riding in the rocky area's I think you are I'd run a Stan's setup with real tubeless tires. The most likely cause of a flat will be pinchflat and having the sidewall torn open so you will want a sturdy tire.

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
Thanks Westy. I just don't want to spend a lot of time on the side of the trail in a race. I'll take your advice on the setup.

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
Why not try the original tubless system, before all these sealers, slimes, and UL tubeless tires came out?

I run a UST tire, A UST Rim/Rimstrip, and no tube or sealer.

I have never had a flat, and the tires are tough enough that most things can't puncture them. However, I have never ran less than 35 lbs of pressure and I only weigh 145.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Anyone use the system on the net which uses 20" BMX tubes and latex? QUOTE]

AKA, ghetto tubeless.

I've been running it for quite awhile. 3 seasons on 3 different wheel sets. My results are very positive. Don't bother with the latex. There was no money savings unless you can find someplace to sell you 5 gallons, and then you're stuck with 5 gallons. The stans works better too.
I just ordered some real stans rim strips to see if there is a benefit. At more than 10x the cost of a BMX tube, I think I'll be sticking with the ghetto. It's lighter too.
The disadvantage is that you need a new tube if you switch tires. You can get around this by not trimming the tube, but then you've got a 1/2" flap hanging out of your tire.

It's worth it. Buy a bottle of stans and 2 cheap tubes.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you're racing xc:

1. Run enough psi. so you don't get pinch flats.

2. Learn to ride smooth and or pick better lines.

3. You should be able to change a tube in under 2 minutes. If you can't, then practice.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
SO they say double bagging it is a bad idea due to "friction".... might this have the same probelmo... juusssttt a thought

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
Alright, just got off work. I figure I'll try the ghetto tubeless using Stan's and for curiosity sake, I may try running double tubes on some cheapo rims just to see what happens. I've got two months before first race so I can iron out any bugs. I'll definitely let everyone know what happens with the double tubes. Thanks for the input, that's what I was looking for and some people mentioned some drawbacks that I didn't even think of. Thanks again.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've done well with 20" tube ghetto tubeless. Just use the Stan's fluid, and 20" tubes with removable valve cores. That makes adding extra fluid way easier.