Quantcast

thoughts on yeti ASX

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just depends on what you want to use it for... you know?

For freeride/XC style stuff I'd throw a Fox 36 Talas on the front, some kid of dual-ring setup with a bash guard, lighter but still sturdy wheelset, gravity dropper post.

I've also seen them set up for full-on DH with a triple clamp up front (seen both Fox 40's and Marzocchi 888's on the front of these) with single ring, burly wheels, the works.

Some people have said the back end seems to flex a bit, and it is a single pivot bike. I've ridden them with a Progressive 5th Element shock on the back, which seemed to pedal well (for what it is) but I don't care for the feel of the 5th Element. They ship now-a-days with a Fox DHX, which should be a lot better for my tastes.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i used to ride one and loved it. i would say to run it i nthe 6 inch travel mode though for a lower bottom bracket and better headtube angle

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Great frame depending on how you set it up. Light DH, Freeride, or heavy trail.
I've set one up all three ways and they all had their strengths and weaknesses.
Light DH: 6" mode w/ 7" dorado, single ring (e.13), mid-weight wheel set (mavic 521). I liked it, but even in 7" the front end felt too high and it lifted the bb too much.
Freeride: 6" mode, fox 36, evil drs guide, mid-weight wheels. I like this mode the best. I think the bike can handle anything shy of a full-fledged DH course (see Deer Valley/Vermont) with ease. I ran a bolt on rear hub to keep the back end stiff, and the suspension forces you to ride smooth and smart. It's light, so it's nimble and easy to throw around. I also ran it with a single ring as a light-mid DH race bike.
Heavy trail:
6" mode, 5" talas, light wheels (mavic trail wheels) I had it down around 34# with a double as well. I felt it acceled as a trail bike, but was a bit to heavy for longer XC rides. I ran it in this setup most, although enjoyed the 6/6 the most.

I never ran it in 7" as it felt like crap. Too steep, too high.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
The Joker said:
Great frame depending on how you set it up. Light DH, Freeride, or heavy trail.
I've set one up all three ways and they all had their strengths and weaknesses.
Light DH: 6" mode w/ 7" dorado, single ring (e.13), mid-weight wheel set (mavic 521). I liked it, but even in 7" the front end felt too high and it lifted the bb too much.
Freeride: 6" mode, fox 36, evil drs guide, mid-weight wheels. I like this mode the best. I think the bike can handle anything shy of a full-fledged DH course (see Deer Valley/Vermont) with ease. I ran a bolt on rear hub to keep the back end stiff, and the suspension forces you to ride smooth and smart. It's light, so it's nimble and easy to throw around. I also ran it with a single ring as a light-mid DH race bike.
Heavy trail:
6" mode, 5" talas, light wheels (mavic trail wheels) I had it down around 34# with a double as well. I felt it acceled as a trail bike, but was a bit to heavy for longer XC rides. I ran it in this setup most, although enjoyed the 6/6 the most.

I never ran it in 7" as it felt like crap. Too steep, too high.
Listen to this man. He speaks wisdom. The ASX is the best all-around bike there is. I did a 4 hour XC ride on mine yesterday, and next weekend I'm shuttling some gnarly DH trails.

I went out of my way to dig up a 6" 2003 tpc sherman slider and the bike is perfect. I'm a retro-grouch and I don't trust long-travel single crowns.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
The Joker said:
I'm running mine a bit like this too: '05 AS-X with DHX5 in the 6" position, '05 66 RC in 6" mode, easton bars, hayes 8"/6" (fr/r), raceface cranks, singletracks on a hope bighun in the front and a XT in the back, single ring setup (e.13), 2.3 tires.

I like it so far, feels like a mini dh machine, small and "throwable", although I'm still waiting for the Doctor to give me an ok to ride without limitations.

The ability to raise the seatpost fairly high really extends its uses.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I ride mine with 7" in the rear and a 7" super T up front and dual ring with e13. It's been the perfect Whistler bike for me...the 7" is especially great when it hasn't rained in a while and the trails are all rutted out.

Haven't tried the 6" setting, but I'm not a smooth rider either.

I haven't ridden any other DH bikes so I can't compare to bikes with lower bb's etc.

Freerider697

Monkey
Jun 16, 2005
My AS-x is set up with an 888 and burly compenets mainly for DH. My freeride set up is with a sherman breakout plus in the 7 inch mode. Both have been great. The seven inch travel setting on the frame is O.K. but I'd rather run it in 6, as said by others. The slightly flexy rear end just feels tighter and smoother in 6. It runs great through the rough and can handle most technical and speedy DH runs with ease. Next season I'll be looking to by a new bike so I hope they change it a bit. Does anyone know what yeti is up to for 07 with this frame?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The 5th element shock on mine has been a real weak link, starting about 2 weeks after buying the frame the shock blew, then was good for about a year and never the same after 3 more rebuilds. The rear end is noticeably flexy with a QR rear axle. The suspension doesn't react well to square edge hits when pedalling hard in the small ring, at least with a 5th element shock. My '03 also seems to be suceptible to ovalizing the swing link mounting holes in the frame in both the known 6" travel setting and the 7" travel setting but this was supposedly resolved after the first production batch of the new style. I've always had a little bit of ghost shifting but I haven't been really diligent in finding the cause or eliminating it. The Avid Rollamajig helped a lot.

Other than that the geometry is great for freeriding and shuttles or light downhill but its still as easy to climb as any other bike with the same amount of travel and weight. The frame and swingarm seem to be pretty strong and the 1.5 headtube gives you a lot of fork and headset options.