Quantcast

Thoughts on Yeti SB6c?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Long story short, I can get a great deal on one of those, it would be replacing a Trek Slash and its on a very short list of ONE bike that Im interested in

Essentially, I need to hear why I shouldn't buy that bike or why you think its the greatest thing ever ...

I ride both local trails and park, I prefer longer travel trail bikes but it seems like the SB5 gets more love? Why is that ? Is it just as capable and more fun or definitely less aggressive and more "xc " oriented?

Im also slightly worried thay Yeti might release a new version soon-ish ( since the current design is over 3 years old) but I've never been a big Yeti follower and have to idea how frequently they come up with new or revised designs ?

Help me !

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Great deal = no brainer. Just pay attention to sizing. The frames are bigger than you might expect.

Their 5c and 6c are both really good bikes.

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
So. I had an sb6 then a slash. Then went back to the sb6

The slash (previous 27.5 gen) was an ok bike. It just felt dead and had zero personality. It felt the same no matter how hard or soft you pushed it. I felt like I found the limits of the bike pretty quickly. Some people might like that.

The sb6 likes to go fast. I still don't feel like I have found the upper limit of the bike. It's really stable and I love that. It's not a "flickable bro" type of bike but that's not how I like to ride. I like to ride fast like a big dumb ape smashing into things without a care. This bike is pretty sweet for that.

I had a following for a while too. Hated it. It was a flickable bro bike, great for easy/moderate trails but for my style when it got rough and steep it scared the shit out of me.

Not sure when yeti will update it. It just got boost and updated cable routing last year. My guess is they will update the 4.5 before the 6

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Great deal = no brainer. Just pay attention to sizing. The frames are bigger than you might expect.

Their 5c and 6c are both ready good bikes.
Im 5.9 , sat on a large and didn't think it was particularly all that big ( id get a medium for sure bir
So. I had an sb6 then a slash. Then went back to the sb6

The slash (previous 27.5 gen) was an ok bike. It just felt dead and had zero personality. It felt the same no matter how hard or soft you pushed it. I felt like I found the limits of the bike pretty quickly. Some people might like that.

The sb6 likes to go fast. I still don't feel like I have found the upper limit of the bike. It's really stable and I love that. It's not a "flickable bro" type of bike but that's not how I like to ride. I like to ride fast like a big dumb ape smashing into things without a care. This bike is pretty sweet for that.

I had a following for a while too. Hated it. It was a flickable bro bike, great for easy/moderate trails but for my style when it got rough and steep it scared the shit out of me.

Not sure when yeti will update it. It just got boost and updated cable routing last year. My guess is they will update the 4.5 before the 6

Dude , thank you so much for that, exactly what I was hoping to hear !

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC

Their 5c and 6c are both ready good bikes.
Im 5.9 , sat on a large and didn't think it was particularly all that big ( id get a medium for sure bir

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
It's a Yeti.

It means it's almost a given it will crack & you, despite being warranty will have an unholy battle to get it sorted out.

You will end up wanting to burn their office to the ground because of their stupidity & ineptitude.

Otherwise, crack on, so to speak.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm a big fan of my SB6c, more than the SB5c I rode last year. I'm not pro-level skilled, smooth, or fast... but I ride a ton and can get down most anything short of big ass jump lines. I've owned it ~12 months and my SB6c will hit 2,000 miles by the end of April, everything from Front Range local rides to Moab to high country epics to bike park. The only time I felt it wasn't enough bike was riding the gnarliest tracks at Angel Fire, but my sense is that had more to do with my regard for personal safety and the 2.25 Ardent on the rear than the bike.

My comparison of the SB5c and SB6c can be read here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb5c-vs-sb6c-925897-post12116228.html#post12116228

Full disclosure: I haven't owned a trail bike that didn't say Yeti on the frame since 2001. Yeah, call me a fanboi or whatever you want but shit man, they're nice bikes. I have also only crash-replaced one in that time... it was my 2013 SB66c and one of the collets that the pivot bolts thread into had de-bonded from it's place in the rear triangle. This was after 2 seasons and nearly 3K miles of similar riding as I do on the SB6c. I found it during a final check-through of the bike as I was selling it. I'm just one data point RE: cracked frames and whatnot. A friend who works part-time at a local shop that sells Yeti, SC, Pivot, Niner, and Rocky Mountain swears he sees more Yeti warranties than any of the others. He's also a bit of a hater so again... one data point.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I own a SB6c. well, its good. pedal great and all
but, when going downhill... the Capra is better. and cheaper ..
I did a few rides on my friend Capra... and realized how an Enduro bike should be. up and down the hill.