Quantcast

Thoughts please!

Which one??!!

• Total voters

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm looking at grabbing a cyclocross bike for commuting to and from work on a daily basis. I'm 6'7" and 270 (hence the slightly beefier frame choice...) and need something that will stand up to the test of time. I'd like to spend no more than 1800 bucks (complete / after tax) so I've come up with a couple choices.

Scott CX Team - $1499

Kona Jake the Snake - $1199

And please don't mention Giant....been there, done that, moved on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For a commuter, the Kona Dew is your best bet for what it's worth. Unless you plan on racing, I wouldn't give up discs.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Mike B. said:
Surley Cross Check should go on your list.
Gack...I like the steel concept but the parts spec on the Scott (for the money) appeals to me a lot more than the Tiagra stuff on the Surly....I've already built my DH and FR rigs from scratch so I'm looking for a complete bike with a decent part spec that will last a bit...then I can upgrade l8r....

Snacks said:
What about a Redline?
The Conquest Pro looks pretty decent for 1399.....I suppose I could be talked into that if the shop can get it in the same timeframe as the others...Bad part: Largest size is a 60.....damn....

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Jake the Snake.

Good spec and better value. Put the extra money back in your savings.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Secret Squirrel said:
*Cough* Exposure *Cough*
I wonder why :rolleyes:

on a more relevant topic - what about a Jamis steel frame? The nova has some 105 stuff, but also only hits 60cm in it's largest form.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Kona's are great. Have you looked at the PhD?

Lots of Jake The Snakes have been on Ebay recently. Also, it's a great bike because no one will ever hit you with that bright orange. Next year's is bright green.

batty_110

Chimp
Jun 15, 2006
Minnesota
Thought of a ss? You can build up a Redline frame or IRO frame pretty cheap. And they're pretty close to indestructible. Just a thought. The Scott does seem like a good pick though.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
How long is your commute?
'round bout 20-25 miles each way, slight up hill at the end of both legs, good cardio sprint burn opportunity!!...otherwise, it's pretty flat, which I like (it's mostly paved bike trail until 3 miles from downtown, so I can't get a good handle on the distance until I actually do it....). Awhile back I was doing a 34 mile round trip to school on an old Giant rigid (my first mountain bike...circa '97). That was a 28 lbs. beast with lots 'o rolling resistance. I think that I'll be able to pull off the morning commute in around 1:15 to start with.

BTW, I already pulled the trigger on the Scott...the shop went and put it on sale...couldn't pass that up. Specially after looking into building another custom on top of my DH and Trail rigs... :dead: My bank account already is nuked...didn't need it any farther down the hole on the atoll.... We'll see how this works. Should be picking it up today or tomorrow.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Picked up the Xtra-Large (a.k.a. My Size...) Scott CX Team on the 15th....boy is it a kick in the pants. The geo is spot on for me, it accelerates like I've never known, and it's a solid feel under me (doesn't feel like I'm going to snap anything when I lay the power down...)

Now I know what I have been missing!! 20 miles (with a 6% hill at the end :dead: ) felt like nothing. It gave me a workout, but I never got to my cardio range...I was a bit sore the next day (upper body), but I attribute that to just working a different set of muscles. So, I went out and did another 30!!! w00t!!

I don't think I'll be doing any actual cyclocross racing with it, but I've been out on the local paved trails (they're actually pretty riddled with roots causing heaving in the asphalt...) and it is such a solid ride. Haven't weighed it yet, but it's certainly lighter than my 37 lbs. Turner RFX....

The one gripe I have is that the seat tube wasn't cleaned/reamed very well....cause when I went to pull the post out to get the saddle height right, the seat tube put a nice scratch in the carbon post...That pissed me off. I'll have to see if the shop will remedy this for me...otherwise I'll live with the scratch...I guess.

Oh well. This coming weekend will be another 20 miler followed by a visit to the brewery 2 miles from home....:banana:

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
a guy at the shop just bought a '07 raleigh route 1.0...it's pretty sweet...took off all the tiagra stuff and replaced it with campy....plus the white carbon fork looks sweet