Quantcast

Three California Giant Berry Farms/Specialized Riders To Race At Cyclocross World Cha

Oct 20, 2009
<p>The California Giant Berry Farms/Specialized Elite Cyclocross Team could not be more proud or excited to have three riders selected to race at the 2013 UCI Cyclocross World Championships which will be held on Feb. 2-3, in Louisville, Ky. Meredith Miller and Tobin Ortenblad will be racing as part of the United States National Team while Yannick Eckmann will be starting for the German National Team.</p><p>
</p><p>
‘We are very proud that three of our riders will be competing in the 2013 Worlds Cyclocross</p><p>
Championships. Even more exciting is the honor of having both domestic and international</p><p>
representation in the event,” said Bill Moncovich, President and CEO of California Giant. “We wish Tobin, Meredith and Yannick best of luck in Louisville” added Moncovich.</p><p>
</p><p>
As a grower-shipper of fresh berries, California Giant Berry Farms has sponsored a cycling team for twelve years as part of a commitment to send positive messages about the importance of combining diet and exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle. What better way to deliver that message than to have three of their athletes competing on a world stage. The company is extremely proud of the continued success of all of the athletes they sponsor while contributing to the health of American consumers by providing an abundant, healthy and delicious product.</p><p>
</p><p>
“Since the announcement was made that Louisville would host the 2013 Cyclocross World Championships, all the choices I have made regarding training, racing and traveling have been for one reason - to stand on the start line in Louisville as a member of the United States National Team. Wearing the stars and stripes at any race is a privilege. Wearing the stars and stripes on home soil is a true honor.” Miller commented.</p><p>
</p><p>
For the first time in its 63-year history, the World Cyclocross Championships will be held outside of Europe, a historic first in the sport. As part of a very strong American elite women's squad, Miller will be starting her fourth cyclocross world championships. “The United States has an extremely talented group of women who will toe the line on race day. I want to show the rest of the world that the United States is serious about cyclocross; that we have the talent and we mean business. Personally, nothing less than a top ten will be satisfactory.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Newly crowned American Under-23 Champion Eckmann, who just obtained his dual citizenship, is thrilled to be able to race in front of friends and family. “It means a lot for me to go to worlds this year because it is in the United States and almost home ground, and having raced on part of the course should make a big difference as well.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Also racing in his fourth world championships, Eckmann’s goal is to finish in the top 10. “I'm super excited to represent the USA for my second time at the World Championships.” Ortenblad stated. “Not many get to race against the world's best over in Europe, even fewer get to race the World Championships for their home country. It’s truly an honor to be selected to this team and I’m so very thankful for this opportunity, especially this year with Worlds being in Louisville!”</p><p>
</p><p>
Ortenblad and Eckmann will race in the men under-23 race on Saturday February 2, 2013 at</p><p>
2:30 p.m. EST. Miller will race the following day, February 3, also at 2:30 p.m. EST. Both races will be streamed live on the UCI YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel).</p>

More...