Quantcast

Thrilla in the Milla (My first cx race)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow - what a race!

Webcyclery put on a great event here in Bend, and there were TONS of people there! I was amazed at the number of women! It started with a grassy loop and then we headed up a pretty steep paved hill, across a sandy lot, down a section of sidewalk and along a grassy hill. Then there was singletrack with a log drop off and two tall barriers. Then immediately after the barriers there was a steep sandy hike-a-bike and a loose downhill corner followed by hardpacked BUMPY stuff and 3 log barriers.

I got a great start and held second place the entire race. I was able to do that well based on fitness alone, cuz I AIN'T GOT NO SKILLS. I was on my mountain bike so all the grass and paved sections were extremely hard on my wide knobby tires. :angry: Second time into the tall barriers I hit my front tire and almost went down on the second one. :mumble: Then a few laps later I failed to get unclipped fast enough, and almost biffed it on the logs. I have a few deep bruises on my right elbow from hitting it on the bike while carrying it over stuff.

I definitely have the fitness to go hard the 60 minutes of the race, but I would lose at least 10 seconds every remount. I just can't do the jumping remount smoothly enough. Seems like I almost come to a standstill unless it's flat. I will just have to practice though. I know the theory of HOW to do it, now I just have to do it. ;)

I got passed by Steve Larsen!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
that's ****in awesome heidi! i had no clue though that you'd actually moved, hadnt' talked to you in a while though so i guess that's why i'm out of the loop. you'll get the dismount and remount after some practicing. don't stutter step when you go to remount just literally run along side the bike and hop.

oh as for the tires, hutchinson makes a cx tire that is mtn bike compatible. it basically boils down to a 26 x 35cm tire, making it uci legal :)

good luck this year!!! go rip it up

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I TOLD you!!! Your fitness is the most important part, the skills will come with practice. :)

Great job, and I hope you had a great time. :)

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Heidi said:
Oh, I had a blast! I'll be back out there next Tuesday night for a more abuse.

Isn't CX just insanely fun. I mostly race XC, but XC is just a boring suffer fest. CX is where it's at. This sunday I'm doing my first CX race in 3 years.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
mattv2099 said:
Isn't CX just insanely fun. I mostly race XC, but XC is just a boring suffer fest. CX is where it's at. This sunday I'm doing my first CX race in 3 years.
I've done some amazingly fun and challenging XC courses this year so I can't complain. CX is just a nice change of pace.

I went back out last night...got second again. The big ol' Conti mtb tires on my mtb killed me in the long grassy sections but that's ok. I had a blast again and am getting way better at the remounts.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Im doing my first "practice" cx race tonight at the MEad Track then its off to my very first real CX race on Saturday in Breck.

Wish me luck.

I really suck at the dismounts!! :mumble:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
JOJO said:
Im doing my first "practice" cx race tonight at the MEad Track then its off to my very first real CX race on Saturday in Breck.

Wish me luck.

I really suck at the dismounts!! :mumble:

Woohoo - good luck JO! Dismounts in mud are even harder because you go to put that foot down and woooooooooo!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Heidi said:
Woohoo - good luck JO! Dismounts in mud are even harder because you go to put that foot down and woooooooooo!

DON"T PLANT YOUR FOOT!!!! skip ladies, c'mon you should be a graceful swan :)

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Awesome news Heidi! I am sure you will get those barriers down in no time. I agree, that fitness is the most important. I race DH and just did my first CX race on my HT MTB...i was game for the first 3/4 lap and then I died. :nopity:

I did finish the race...and bought a CX frame! :) I now have more motivation to put some miles on to build a base...what do DH'er know about base? :)