Quantcast

Thru axle adapter for truing stand

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have an extra ghetto one I made from an old 10mm axle and two nuts with a round flange. It works fine. It's literally just a regular threaded axle for a loose ball hub, with two nuts threaded onto it. See if you can cobble something together along those lines.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
if you feel like forking out for an adapter it's a nice little investment.. Helps to keep the wheel steady in the stand so you get it true and round..

IF you don't know anyone with a lathe :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
gonefirefightin and I are both terribly sorry for offering up ways that you could avoid having to buy an adapter. :rolleyes:

If you want to buy one, go for it. They're all the same damn thing. Just a metal rod.

Another thing you can do, if you've got a hub on hand that can be converted between a 20mm TA and a standard QR (Hope, Dimension, some Mavics, etc), is to take the QR end caps for such a hub, and stick them in the hub you want to mount in the truing stand. That's exactly what the adapter is anyway.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
gonefirefightin and I are both terribly sorry for offering up ways that you could avoid having to buy an adapter. :rolleyes:

If you want to buy one, go for it. They're all the same damn thing. Just a metal rod.

Another thing you can do, if you've got a hub on hand that can be converted between a 20mm TA and a standard QR (Hope, Dimension, some Mavics, etc), is to take the QR end caps for such a hub, and stick them in the hub you want to mount in the truing stand. That's exactly what the adapter is anyway.
That method may or may not work properly. A QR front hub is 100mm wide, a 20mm is 110mm wide. Generally the hub qr to 20mm adapters are not the same (one wider than the other) so if you swap the QR guts into the hub and true/dish/etc....you will most likely end up with a wheel that is dished incorrectly for the 110mm/20mm application.

I think I have a set of the plastic magura ones around... if I can find them, and you need them, they are yours...

If you are going to buy a set, look for the 'problem solvers' brand ones. THey are aluminum and fit better than the plastic guys...they are ~ $14.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
You can also just use your fork's 20mm axle and forego the adapters. Just slide the TA into the hub and rest the ends in the forks of the truing stand. It is sometimes better to go this way if your hub design allows the hub (and spokes and rim) to flop around a bit if unsupported.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That method may or may not work properly. A QR front hub is 100mm wide, a 20mm is 110mm wide. Generally the hub qr to 20mm adapters are not the same (one wider than the other) so if you swap the QR guts into the hub and true/dish/etc....you will most likely end up with a wheel that is dished incorrectly for the 110mm/20mm application.

I think I have a set of the plastic magura ones around... if I can find them, and you need them, they are yours...
That's true, if the adapters are indeed different, but I disagree with your statement that "most" are asymetrical.

BrooklynMachine- I think IAB has a 36 on his bike, and the 36 has a stepped axle, so the ends are different diameters. That technique dosn't work there.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Just throw a qr through there and clamp it down. The wide ends of the 20mm hub will sit flush against the jaws of the truing stand with a little bit of pressure. It's always worked OK for me. Besides, it's a disc wheel. How true does it need to be?