Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Yakima Highroller

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I need to buy a roof rack. Which do you prefer, the Thule Sidearm or the Yakima Highroller? Id like to hear from people that have used both.

Last edited:

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Sidearm is pretty much the standard at the local shuttle spots (aside from trucks). Show up with a Yakima and the whole operation really slows down.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
as somebody with a low car, hitch racks can be a pita. I like my t2 and all, but if you have a low car then get the roof. just make sure you don't drive into your garage with your bikes on top. Happened to 2-3 customers a year at our old shop. Get home from a long ride, super tired, and drive right into your garage with a big crunch. Seen a couple ruined ~$6K road bikes from that.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I need to buy a rook rack. Which do you prefer, the Thule Sidearm or the Yakima Highroller? Id like to hear from people that have used both.
I work at probably the biggest thule and yakima dealers in the country. We get highrollers back on a weekly basis because people find swinging the rear arm up, holding the bike, and turning the dial can be a pain. We never get side arms back (that I have seent at least)

That being said, if you are in need of the towers and bars, I would go with yakima. They do allot more testing on their fit kits than thule does. Just get yakima towers and bars, throw the side arm on that (they are compatible)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have used the yakima hold up hitch rack, the similar thule one, I think the thule was more secure.

That said, for roof racks I have only used yakima products. I have king cobras, not the high roller.

I like the king cobras, they are pretty secure and I have used them in some pretty bumpy shuttle road conditions and been satisfied.

Look through the "marquette-ness" album on my facebook page for a few pics, I have 3 of the king cobras...no complaints other than the knob to tighten the front wheel in place can be a bit slow (lots of turns to really crank it down)

*edit* Found the picture so you don't have to go looking for it, doesn't really show you much I guess, but with the three bikes on the king cobras they shuttled around on a lot of backroads just fine

Last edited:

crisps

Chimp
Dec 18, 2007
Aaahlington, MA
How about the 1up USA rack? I don't (yet) have one but will probably get one in the next few months so take this for what it's worth. However, those that have this rack swear by it and don't want to go back to Yakima or Thule. I sent an email to them asking about weight ratings and the response was that it can hold onto a 50 lb. bike; so it will work with DH bikes with up to 3-1/4" tires. And it's aluminum so it won't rust to **** like my T2. The down side is that it's definitely on the pricey side.

http://1upusa.com/rooftray.htm

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Now that I think about it, the new Yakima system is kind of a PITA compared to the old system.

I had King Cobras (Yakima), and those were way easy to load. The new system kind of keeps you in an awkward position of trying to hold the bike in place while you turn the knob forever. The King Cobra just let you roll the bike into place in one big motion.

I had some roof mount sidearms for a week as well. They also kept you struggling with a bike precariously teetering on the roof for a few seconds while trying to get the "arm" to engage properly.

Maybe it just takes practice with the newer system.

I got a T2 on a hitch rack and still think they're the only way to go.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hitch mount. But if you're set on a top mount, I can't really help you. Except to say that the locking mechanism on the sidearm is pretty cheezy, if that matters to you. I used to have one, and a firm grasp on the part of the sidearm that cradles the wheel, and a good strong yank is all you need to overcome the ratchet mechanism that holds it down, even when locked. Other than that, it was the easiest rack I've ever used.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hitch mount. But if you're set on a top mount, I can't really help you. Except to say that the locking mechanism on the sidearm is pretty cheezy, if that matters to you. I used to have one, and a firm grasp on the part of the sidearm that cradles the wheel, and a good strong yank is all you need to overcome the ratchet mechanism that holds it down, even when locked. Other than that, it was the easiest rack I've ever used.
Or deflate the tire...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So the Thule is quicker. Has anyone had problems with the sidearm scratching up the fork?

Has anyone had problems with Highroller red knob braking?

Any info on both would be appreciated.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
So the Thule is quicker. Has anyone had problems with the sidearm scratching up the fork?

Not "quicker," I think less awkward would be the better term. It's the fumbling around wishing you had an extra half a hand with the yakima, not how long it takes.

The side arm will eventually take a bit of paint of your lowers

Never seent a knob brake.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I've never had an issue with fork rub with my T2. But I have an '08 Boxxer with skinny stancions. I don't recall fox 40s being a problem with any of my friends' bikes.

As for the knob breaking, does that even happen when the rack is being used properly?

Bring your bike to a rack shop and try it out.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
I have been debating between the same 2 racks. I just sold my CRV and got a 4 door car so my hitch rack is now useless. After reading tons of reviews Ive decided not to get either one. Check out 1upusa's roof rack. Thats what I'm going with.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have been debating between the same 2 racks. I just sold my CRV and got a 4 door car so my hitch rack is now useless. After reading tons of reviews Ive decided not to get either one. Check out 1upusa's roof rack. Thats what I'm going with.
Not sure I understand why having a 4 dr car makes a hitch rack useless...

Not mine, but seems to work:

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
I would have to buy a hitch, then a 2 inch adapter because they don't make a 2 inch hitch for my car. I would feel safer with my bikes on top of the car rather than having a bike rack dangling extra far off the rear because of the adapter. The rack is too heavy for the car too, it's a saris cycle on pro with the two bike adapter.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not to derail, but most sedans do fine. Buy a $100 Curt hitch and have any local weld shop stick a 2" reciever on it. Sedans actualy do better than wagons because they are lighter and have a stronger front mount. On a wagon, the front mount can collapse the spare tire shell.
My wagon is too low and drags on every driveway, but it has a big ass.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The rack does come into contact with the side of a 40, however I haven't noticed any wear from it on my roof rack. I have experienced a lot of wear in a hitch mount version because the bike tends to move back and forth a lot more then when it's on the roof.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
No red knob failures on my 3 king cobras (all purchased used), no experience with the high roller.

No fork wear.

No contact with my bike anywhere other than the wheels.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How the F is that thing worth $529? The economics of racks is beyond my comprehension.
Beyond your reading comprehension?

1 up USA Aluminum Quik-Rack one Bicycle Roof Tray

In stock and will ship the same or next business day of order

Price: $189 FREE UPS Ground Shipping (US Only. Excluding AK&HI)

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But still $189 for a tray?
Their hitch racks are designed and made far better than Thule and Yakima's offerings. I've never seen the roof rack version but I imagine its the same.

Some people are fine with Huffy/Murray/Pacific bikes too - thousands of dollars for a bike?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't think you can draw a direct correlation between the price of a bike to the price of a bike rack. A bike has lots of small pieces with much tighter tolerances. Think about hydraulic brakes for example. They are just one part of a bike and the level of complexity is far above what is essentially a stationary tray with some sort of arm.

I do, however, think you can draw a correlation between what bikers will pay for a bike rack based on what they pay for bikes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I agree... almost $1000 to hold 4 bikes is a bit much. A North Shore rack or a T2 is a lot cheaper.
I agree there is no worthwhile advantage on the roof rack mount they sell but their hitch rack system is worth the money - its lighter, better made, and its the only hitch rack that folds up easily to fit in the trunk of even a 2-door coupe.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
and for that kind of coin, id want something besides a ratchet strap to secure my bikes
We made my rack for $60 and it holds 3 bikes with ratchet ropes. The car only cost me $500 and its lasted 4 years and 50k miles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
as somebody with a low car, hitch racks can be a pita. I like my t2 and all, but if you have a low car then get the roof. just make sure you don't drive into your garage with your bikes on top. Happened to 2-3 customers a year at our old shop. Get home from a long ride, super tired, and drive right into your garage with a big crunch. Seen a couple ruined ~$6K road bikes from that.
As someone that's had hitch racks on two low cars now, I gotta say this is pretty much a non-issue. Unless we are talking Lambo-low or you have some crazy hidden hitch that ends up only 2" off the ground, most systems are designed to avoid this and the racks incorporate designs that are further up the further they are from the vehicle, thereby preserving approach angle for the most part.

I agree that a 1up is bloody expensive. If I can get 90% of the performance at 1/2 the cost, then that's what I'm likely to do :)

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I have two highrollers on my scooby and love them...have never felt them to be awkward to use...that said the first day I had them I started cranking down the tension dial thinking there would be a safety for over tightening, there wasn't and I broke the dial. Yakima took care of me thoughand I now couldn't be happier. Also I have never used the Thule so I can't compare.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have two highrollers on my scooby and love them...have never felt them to be awkward to use...that said the first day I had them I started cranking down the tension dial thinking there would be a safety for over tightening, there wasn't and I broke the dial. Yakima took care of me thoughand I now couldn't be happier. Also I have never used the Thule so I can't compare.
This is good to know. I've heard of a few others breaking too.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I am also more of the 'hitch rack even though it is a car' guy. Probably more for the gas mileage than anything. That being said, my vote is Thule as well. The arm will bump fork lowers but I wrapped the top of the swinging part with an old DH tube and held with a zip tie. It eliminated that completely. To add testament to the holding ability, I watched a sometimes derp friend of mine forget about a cattle guard coming down he hill with the Thule roof rack holding his VP Free. He literally caught air in his Pontiac Grand Am and the bike was held. I was watching this in my rearview mirror hoping exactly what did happen would as I knew it would be as funny as it was. I call his car the "purple nurple" and it came crashing to earth, front end bounced twice before settling. Pulled over to check to make sure it was still driveable and will never let him live it down.

Last edited: