Quantcast

Thule SideArm for fat tires

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Author Unknown, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Author Unknown

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I just bought a Thule sidearm and, contrary to what the folks at the shop said, the tray does not seem to accomodate a 2.7 tire. I know, if I had done my homework, I would have read on the Thule website that the tray accommodates tires up to 2.6... well I have a 2.5 (both Nevegals) on the back and the rear tire still does not fit soundly in the tray. The knobs have to hang over the side a bit. Is this a major problem? I haven't mounted it yet to test its stability in use, because I may want to take it back. Does anyone out there have any experience with a Thule Sidearm tray and fat tires? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm stuck with the Thule Crossroad rack, so my only other option would be a Yakima HighRoller attached to my Thule crossbars.

Thanks for any tips.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Old_Sckool

Old_Sckool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I hauled by Brooklyn Race Link all of Colorado last season with a 2.8 Michelin on it. Zero problems. We did the entire MSC series and must have logged over 3500 miles with the bike on the roof.

3. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The sidearm is the same as the Sportworks (now Thule) hitch rack. Seeing as how that is the standard DH bike rack, I can't imagine it wouldn't work.
    Don't worry if the knobs hang over. If you're really stressed about it, use a toe clip strap to give yourself some extra piece of mind.

The Yakima Highroller is a piece. I have one and I don't really trust it with DH bikes and it takes for ever to load/unload. I've switched to fork-ups for the roof.

4. Author Unknown

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    thanks for the knowledge. helps a ton.

5. DFoxracing

DFoxracing Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    i had this problem with a yakima rack i used to have. i simply had to deflate the tires some to have them nestle down. worked great, just kind of a pain to have to bring a pump every time.