Quantcast

thule vs yakima vs...

Dec 13, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have a 2002 Ford Focus 5 dr hatchback. I'd like to get roof racks to transport my mtn bikes but have never owned or used roof racks before. I have a Saris Bones trunk rack that holds three bikes, but I hate the pain of having to take it off to get into the back of the car.

I have two hard tails and a road bike, and plan to get a XC or all mtn full suspension bike at some point. I'm a grad student so I'd like to spend the least amount possible.

Yakima vs. Thule?
What about other brands I don't know about?
fork rack vs. upright (w/ fr wheel on) vs. the ones that clamp to your downtube
What is reliable? Secure? What is easiest to use?

Thanks

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Have you checked out http://www.rackattack.com/ ? Very helpful site.

I used to drive a two door Acura Integra with hatchback. I had a Yakima roof rack and loved it. It easily held four bikes. I had to install the rack backwards though or I couldn't open the hatchback all the way.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, give the n00b a break. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, and we're a discussion board, not an online encyclopedia. Besides, it's rare bike material in the Lounge.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I like Yakima for everything but their wheel fork holders if you want to run a fork mount tray with the wheels outside of the car. Their up rights are great as are their fork mounts. If you are looking to save a few bucks run RockyMounts trays. Good stuff. Otherwise I pick Yakima over Thule.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hey, give the n00b a break. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, and we're a discussion board, not an online encyclopedia. Besides, it's rare bike material in the Lounge.
all I did was tell him to search...did you see his post? I can't remember it word for word but "screw you guys I'm never posting here" was part of it....a bit over dramatic...D

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
yakima rack/bars and rocky mount trays... thule is gay and their square bars end up bending. If you want a good deal check out REI's website frequent b/c they run a 20% off all yakima sales twice a year.