Quantcast

Thunder mountain

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Tell us about the new trails.
Juggernaut is like Schist and Winetree had a baby. I rode it on the first day it opened, so it was raw and fun. I bet it gets better as its worn in. I saw a video of a trail called Trillium that they had started that looked really nice. I'm hoping it's open Sunday.

Feb 3, 2016
Massachusetts
Juggernaut is like Schist and Winetree had a baby. I rode it on the first day it opened, so it was raw and fun. I bet it gets better as its worn in. I saw a video of a trail called Trillium that they had started that looked really nice. I'm hoping it's open Sunday.
Trillium won't be "open", an excavator is working it's way down berm to berm, he won't be out of there for another week or more. There may be some tire tracks made though...

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
My wife and I would like to try Thunder mountain in July. We would try to ride on a friday and a saturday.

I'm concerned there is essentially 1 green trail, and that my wife won't have fun if people are routinely catching up and overtaking her on it.

Can you guys comment on what the scene on the green trail might be like? Does it see heavy use? Weekdays better than weekends?

Thanks for input.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My wife and I would like to try Thunder mountain in July. We would try to ride on a friday and a saturday.

I'm concerned there is essentially 1 green trail, and that my wife won't have fun if people are routinely catching up and overtaking her on it.

Can you guys comment on what the scene on the green trail might be like? Does it see heavy use? Weekdays better than weekends?

Thanks for input.
The green line is like a miles long pumptrack. It is not fast at all, it requires some pedaling, she'll be fine.

Feb 3, 2016
Massachusetts

Thanks for input.
Lobster, Yes there is really one Green Trail, but it is nearly 4 miles long. Pretty much only ridden by beginners, families, and those needing a break. It is long, leisurely, mellow, wide and non-confrontational. There may be some over-takers, but it is wide enough that I'm sure your wife will be ok with the occasional friendly encounter with other riders.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
What's your lift policy with the wind? I'm seeing on one weather site that gusts up to 53 mph are possible Sunday. I was planning on heading out and don't want to waste a trip.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you'll be fine on sugarline for fast and wide open, harold's blend for easy singletrack, and you can make your way down gronk but expect to be overtaken. Wine tree is relatively shallow with lots of technical sections, so you MAY be able to do that depending on skill level. It's pretty slow so other riders shouldn't be a problem.

I would consider taking a 5 year old down sugarline. It's very wide open and very smooth. Easier than meadow's end or whatever at highland, less rocks and less knuckleheads on it.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks Stihacka good to know,

I've got a Jedi, and prefer the rougher stuff, but the enduro is good for the wife on her Nomad and me to practice jumping.

Thanks also Sandwich. the wife is new to mountain biking since we got married 4 years ago. She is doing great trail riding, and does better than most women at the group rides we have done, but I loved how much her skills progressed when we did DH last year.

I feel like she gained more from a week doing DH, than she would in a season doing our usual trails.

I appreciate your detailed notes. I will print them out and take them with us when we go.

Feb 3, 2016
Massachusetts
What's your lift policy with the wind? I'm seeing on one weather site that gusts up to 53 mph are possible Sunday. I was planning on heading out and don't want to waste a trip.
Wind is tough. We generally don't have many wind holds because of the direction of the prevailing winds,at your back on the way up. Gusting crosswinds at 50 plus could be an issue, if the chairs start swinging, we'd go on hold. Safety is important, but this is a heavy, well positioned and protected lift. Come ride!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dh bike. Enduro bike is great for wine tree the blue square and gronk, but a dh bike is worth bringing. Schist is the real deal

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Dh bike. Enduro bike is great for wine tree the blue square and gone, but a dh bike is worth bringing. Schist is the real deal
I say the opposite. 6" bike with DH tires and big brakes is the bike for thunder. Ultimately doesn't matter, great place to ride.

Feb 3, 2016
Massachusetts
anything 6 or more and you'll be happy all day. I split time between a Spec Enduro and Trek Session. Both are a hoot, the smaller bike slightly better on the blues, bigger slightly better on the blacks.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Rode Juggernaut again today. It definitely would be better on a trail bike. Lots of side hilling across super steep terrain with really tight turns on each end. Lots of pedaling too. I'd love to see more natural trails on the Billy Badger side, where there's less pitch so you can actually open it up.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
What a blast!! I had so much fun, our crew was mostly on DH, funny how you could see the spots they were slower and faster than enduro. Next time I will be certain to have both bikes with me, I stayed off the 2 steeper trails and could have spent all day on any of the trails there.
Everything is spot on! I didnt find the lift to be slow and looks like some great things are being built. Already cant wait to go back!!