Quantcast

Thunder mountain

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Mrs. Lobster and I will be at thunder mountain riding friday and saturday and maybe tomorrow if any monkeys are riding and would like to say hi.

She has a very pink and blue nomad with a hammerschmidt and a dvo diamond. I've got a black canfield with blue suspension linkages and a silver easton 1.5 bar.

Fingers crossed on weather.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Great day there today. They opened up a new trail, Trillium, at the end of the day. Through the woods top to bottom. Not super tech, but fast loamy terrain in between unreal man made berms.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Great day there today. They opened up a new trail, Trillium, at the end of the day. Through the woods top to bottom. Not super tech, but fast loamy terrain in between unreal man made berms.
aww sheeet that sounds awesome

will try to go again this saturday but mates bachelor party is coming up so i need to save some $$

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Jess Thunder 1.jpg

Here is Mrs. Lobster on her nomad at Thunder Mountain. We were up Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings. We both had a great time and really liked the park.

Mrs. Lobster found the green trail easy but fun, and felt the blues (with the exception of gronk) were really well suited for her. I was really proud of the progression she has made since our trip to killington last year. She has been riding regularly with a lady's group in addition to our family rides. She is starting to carry much more speed on the downhills, and starting to learn about riding off things at speed. She had some good practice popping off the end of one of the wood bridges, and the trick of getting weight back and pushing the bars forward has clicked for her.

I didn't get a chance at wine tree or juggernaugt, which I was sorry to have missed. I picked my way down schist, but not with any grace or speed. I crashed lightly on the rock garden in Thunder cliffs. Badger was well in my skill set and a nice change of pace from the blue trails. Gronk was scary, but good practice. It has so many jumps, it got me out of my head, and in the moment. 3rd try on it was much better than first. You guys on Hawleywood are way above my level.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
A few weeks back a patroller let us duck the tape for a run on that. Barely raked between the berms. We put maybe a dozen runs down it that day. I'm guessing that will get pretty rough once ridden in well, like how badger has.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have not been this year yet but Back of the bong shed -> Blue Pulaski -> Gronk | Billy Badger were awesome combos last fall. Damn I miss the place so much!!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I have not been this year yet but Back of the bong shed -> Blue Pulaski -> Gronk | Billy Badger were awesome combos last fall. Damn I miss the place so much!!
If you like Badger, you'll love Trillium. Think Badger with many big berms. It makes its way down through a glade skiing area. Hawleywood is great too. The jumps are so well made. Word from one of the Gravity Logic guys, is a new trail to the right of Badger is next. Lots of hip jumps and wooden features is how he explained it.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
If you like Badger, you'll love Trillium. Think Badger with many big berms. It makes its way down through a glade skiing area. Hawleywood is great too. The jumps are so well made. Word from one of the Gravity Logic guys, is a new trail to the right of Badger is next. Lots of hip jumps and wooden features is how he explained it.
this place is kicking ass

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Finally a dry day at Thunder!..everything was running nice and fast.. Trillium was so much fun. incredible to see such a long trail hidden underneath the thick trees.
switchbackX30+ off camber loam= trillium

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Shit. I wish I knew you were there. I was there yesterday too. The lines were moving unbelievably quick with race practice going on. I expected much longer lines. Now that they have a bike holder in every other chair, things move quite nicely. Yes, Trillium is burning in so good. Gave Juggernaut another go. Getting better. Hawleywood is just stupid fun.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Shit. I wish I knew you were there. I was there yesterday too. The lines were moving unbelievably quick with race practice going on. I expected much longer lines. Now that they have a bike holder in every other chair, things move quite nicely. Yes, Trillium is burning in so good. Gave Juggernaut another go. Getting better. Hawleywood is just stupid fun.

yeah it was a last minute decision cause we thought the race would clog up the lines, but that def was not the case thankfully

were you in the crew of ns fuzz's? i was with my silver dhr, orange tr500, and black kona entourage.

where is Juggernaut?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've found that when I'm freeriding at races or even after racing, the lines are usually very short no matter where you are. Except maybe plattekill.

I've got to get up there soon. Maybe another friday off sometime soon if anybody is around.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
yeah it was a last minute decision cause we thought the race would clog up the lines, but that def was not the case thankfully

were you in the crew of ns fuzz's? i was with my silver dhr, orange tr500, and black kona entourage.

where is Juggernaut?
Yes. I have the flat black one. Juggernaut is to the right of Schist. Start down winetree, and it branches off to the left after you cross the first open slope.

Sammich, I could definitely do a Friday at some point. Let me know if you can sneak free.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That would be awesome dude! With an injured wife, a toddler, and a ton of vacation time, my best bets are weekdays rather than weekends. Most normal people actually spend their weekends having fun, so it makes it a challenge for me.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Anyone up tomorrow? May come up and ride with Mary Elges and check out the new stuff.

Bicycle!

ADD: 6'7" resembling a small birch tree riding an enormous B&W V10cc hanging with superfast little pro lady on a Nomad.

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I'm pretty excited to ride thunder. We're heading there Monday on the final stop of a 4 day dh weekend. Hopefully my recently sewn together knee flesh doesn't get jungle rot from wearing pads and I can survive this trip until Monday.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Anyone up tomorrow? May come up and ride with Mary Elges and check out the new stuff.

Bicycle!

ADD: 6'7" resembling a small birch tree riding an enormous B&W V10cc hanging with superfast little pro lady on a Nomad.
I'd really like to feel how big the XXL is. I'm 6'2" but I like my bikes enormous (trail bikes anyway) my favorite bike has a 19.5" reach

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I guess there's a Transition demo day going on there today according to their Facebook page. It's says "surprise". I wish I had more notice. I would love to have done a few laps on a TR500 and a Patrol.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'd really like to feel how big the XXL is. I'm 6'2" but I like my bikes enormous (trail bikes anyway) my favorite bike has a 19.5" reach
This is stated 18.7. Its the biggest DH bike Ive ridden. SC has a 19.7 reach on the XXL TBc, but Im not into niners (had an XXL TBc for a bit that I got used but it didn't win me over....)

Probably getting an XL Bronson for next trail bike - 18.7 and Ive ridden one and really liked it (Highland Enduro trails, and some DH.) - def better than my Blur LT2 which is ~17"

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
We rode thunder today. I'm blown away. Most fun on a bike in a while, and I have a lot of fun on bikes.
Lift is slow, could probably improve on the loading zone to allow a faster lift speed. I'd start the load zone as soon as the chairs enter the platform to give riders more time and not have to start loading in the turn.
Trails were dope, not a single complaint there. This place is gonna blow up!

9.5/10 will bang again, soon

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Pretty sure lift running at max speed for nondetachable, but agree on loading zone idea. I don't mind the speed, with zero lines it's just enough of a break to bang out nonstop runs all day.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Did they ever add a singles line or have a lift attendant making sure every rack has 3 bikes?

I was there last year late season the lift line was long and I barely saw a rack with 3 bikes in it

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Did they ever add a singles line or have a lift attendant making sure every rack has 3 bikes?

I was there last year late season the lift line was long and I barely saw a rack with 3 bikes in it
They do a better job with that now. And with every other chair a bike carrier now, the lines have been almost non existent this year. Even on the race weekend a few weeks back, lines were never more than a few minutes long. They were doing work to the lift that will put you at the top of Gronk and Hawleywood last time I was there. I know their plan is to open that one too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah it's something about the laws in MA dictating how fast the fixed lifts can go. having more chairs should help speed to the top. I definitely prefer detachables for that reason but it's tolerable without the line. it gets loooong when it was 20 people deep last year, doesn't sound like it should be a problem anymore.

i'm dying to get out there with my bike so dialed.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Every other chair had a bike carrier. Everyone was doing a good job of doing 2-3 per carrier all day. There was no line all day, but keep in mind it was Monday.
I can't stop thinking about going back, 5+ hrs for me but at this point I don't even care