Quantcast

Thunder mountain

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My wife and I were there on Saturday and again, both had a lot of fun.

Waiting in the lift line, for first run of the day, a guy with a Jedi came over to talk to me and asked if he could share a chair with the two of us for the ride up. I figured he just wanted to talk about the Jedi, as I was also riding one. Turned out to be Lance Canfield. I got the chance to ask him about his rear shock settings, rampage competition, etc. It really made a nice touch on a fun day. Super nice guy, that confirmed my already very positive view of the Canfield operation.
he's been floating around the EC the last few weeks from what i can gather. never met him, but have always heard nothing but good about him.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Wait never mind, blow off your real friends and come hang out with some internet people who shout things about cheap dh forks from chairlifts

hahah will never forget " should have bought a rux!" from the chairlift at highland.. cracked me up

Waiting in the lift line, for first run of the day, a guy with a Jedi came over to talk to me and asked if he could share a chair with the two of us for the ride up. I figured he just wanted to talk about the Jedi, as I was also riding one. Turned out to be Lance Canfield. I got the chance to ask him about his rear shock settings, rampage competition, etc. It really made a nice touch on a fun day. Super nice guy, that confirmed my already very positive view of the Canfield operation.
thats awesome! he was also at mount snow testing a new trail they are building

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I was there yesterday, and thought that was him. Seems like the Gravity Logic guys are spending most of their time up at Killington now. I'm wondering if they're done for the year at Thunder. I heard of another trail going in next to Badger. I was hoping that would be this year. The new table and step up at the end of Hawleywood are open and fun as shit. You come into the step up at Mach speed, and can send it as far as you like as the landing is loooooong and smooth. Hat tip to GL on that one.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I hope you told him his bikes are completely unrideabru.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
nah, I like the look of the balance, but I want a trail bike that I don't have to let up on the pedals to let the suspension operate. The jedi, with the idler and no pedal kickback, is the best I've personally felt for that.

So, I begged him to build me an idler trail bike. 160-170mm travel. I told him i would prefer carbon, but I get that it would be a niche bike, and I'd still pay him lots of money for it in aluminum.

He said no way. The people, they have spoken, and they fear the idler. 100 bike production run and sales to make it worthwhile, and he didn't see that demand realistically in a year.

*as a side note, the idler on the Jedi is really smooth under heavy load. I'm quite impressed with the bearing. The owner's manual says don't replace the bearing with an inferior unit, and I believe them.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well since our Platty plans got screwed for the 25th since theyre closing surprisingly early (and reopening for one race weekend in October) we're headed to Thunder instead. cant wait to ride it!

do they allow camping?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
well since our Platty plans got screwed for the 25th since theyre closing surprisingly early (and reopening for one race weekend in October) we're headed to Thunder instead. cant wait to ride it!

do they allow camping?
They don't have a campsite. You'll see the place is way more groomed for family entertainment than Highland, having all the zip lines and a mountain roller coaster and all.

There is a campground nearby but I don't have any experience with it: https://www.yelp.com/biz/mohawk-park-family-campground-and-pub-charlemont?osq=tent+camping

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Rumor had it they allowed camping but no fires on site. Not sure if that was race weekend specific, or low key, or regular.

When is platty closing? Have been dying to get back there, might make it this weekend, but probably won't be able to bring the bike.

Enjoy thunder. It's NOTHING like plattekill.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they close Sept 18 and will reopen for one race weekend in October Oct 8-9.

from what my friends have said, platty took a nose dive in trail work this year so thunder's gravity logic work will be a nice surprise.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
The Get Loose Racing guys have done a great job of keeping platty clean this summer...
Where does it say they are closed until ESC Finals?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The Get Loose Racing guys have done a great job of keeping platty clean this summer...
Where does it say they are closed until ESC Finals?
sorry, didnt mean to offend you but more than a few people have said that.
-their last email they just sent said that:
Plattekill's Bike Park will be open through Sunday September 18

for mountain biking, bike rentals and bike packages.

Park will reopen Columbus Weekend for one additional weekend in conjunction with the ESC Mountain Bike Race Finals.
-they just replied to me on their FB page
Plattekill Bike Park ...yes we are open the next 3 weekends and then will reopen for Oct 8-9 ESC finals weekend

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Damn ! Maybe Lazlo will build his "flow trail" then and keep joey happy. thanks for the leg work on that

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Honestly, non existent. I've been up 10-12 times this year and really haven't waited in line more than 5-6 minutes. Usually, it's ride down, jump on the lift. Having the carriers on every other chair is great, but honestly, I haven't seen a huge crowd there besides the race weekend, and even then the lines were fine.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well the hype is real. the place is awesome to ride and is a ton of fun! its a bit of a hike for me (6 and 7.5hrs it took) but its definitely worth it and makes not going to Highland worth it and almost made me forget about missing Platty this year. we all camped out friday and saturday and everyone else camping there all had fires as well. the place was packed both days but the lift line moved fast thankfully
being only my 3 and 4th time riding this year, i was totally shot by sunday morning. A++ would recommend.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
@cecil Its in great shape. Some small muddy spots, nothing that can't be avoided. The jump trails are running a little slow, the dirt on those trails are soft from the freeze/thaw effect going on this time of year. I had to split early, but they were running faster as the day went on. Badger is running better than it has all year. Tacky and fast as fuck. Definitely worth the trip. I'll be back this Friday.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
@cecil Its in great shape. Some small muddy spots, nothing that can't be avoided. The jump trails are running a little slow, the dirt on those trails are soft from the freeze/thaw effect going on this time of year. I had to split early, but they were running faster as the day went on. Badger is running better than it has all year. Tacky and fast as fuck. Definitely worth the trip. I'll be back this Friday.
No you won't. No more Fridays after 11/4 IIRC.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
how was the lift line? was at highland on saturday and the line went all the way to the back porch.. singles line and double line included

will try to shoot for thunder this weekend

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Conditions for last day were unreal. Probably the best conditions all year. Lift lines were long, as to be expected since it was the only place open, and the weather was mint. Kudos to Thunder for a great season :cheers:

And to the douchebags throwing PBR cans off the lift onto the trails, a big fuck you.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Conditions for last day were unreal. Probably the best conditions all year. Lift lines were long, as to be expected since it was the only place open, and the weather was mint. Kudos to Thunder for a great season :cheers:

And to the douchebags throwing PBR cans off the lift onto the trails, a big fuck you.
Such ass clowns

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Planning on it. Rode there this past Sunday, pretty slick on Juggernaut etc, But Billy Badger, Gronk etc where running great.!

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Agreed. I was thinking of racing the enduro next weekend, but with rain in the forecast and my crappy skills on of steep off camber roots- I think I might just ride local!