Quantcast

Thunder or Mountain Creek?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
What's the likelihood mountain creek being open this weekend? Will they possibly cancel the race? I'm going to be a mechanic for a friend in the race. Not even sure if I should bring my bike with the weather.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Right or wrong, race or not, rain or shine, I'm heading there this morning to experience the million-dollar, world-class braking bumps everyone is so hyped on

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Right or wrong, race or not, rain or shine, I'm heading there this morning to experience the million-dollar, world-class braking bumps everyone is so hyped on
UPDATE: Fuck that shit. Thunderhailed out

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So, Thunder rocks.
My arms are noodles, :rofl: so am taking 15 and thought I would throw in an update . Blue Pulaski rocks. Gronk is really quite lippy, a lot of bitching about bucking and especially overshooting. You can see where they built it up from last year. Consensus seems to be they should have left it alone. So far Billy Badger is my favorite. :rockout: Trillium is good, but needs to be steeper. Think I have one good run left in me. so going to see if arms survive a trip down Juggernaught. :panic:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, Thunder rocks.
My arms are noodles, :rofl: so am taking 15 and thought I would throw in an update . Blue Pulaski rocks. Gronk is really quite lippy, a lot of bitching about bucking and especially overshooting. You can see where they built it up from last year. Consensus seems to be they should have left it alone. So far Billy Badger is my favorite. :rockout: Trillium is good, but needs to be steeper. Think I have one good run left in me. so going to see if arms survive a trip down Juggernaught. :panic:
Have you done Back of the bong shed yet? :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have you done Back of the bong shed yet? :D
Yup. I likey. But not Thundercliffs. Buddy ran it and ended up blowing under the catchfence. :rofl: what is the little connector trail off of Blue Pulaski that goes to the Gronk / Billy Badger hub. That I like. This place has so many lines, fucking awesome.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Juggernaught was a shitshow :rofl: Between my legs deciding to go on vacation, and my front brake pulling to the bar, then my arms giving out in a hole and me colapsing over the front of the bike to take (a luckily slow) dirt sample, I'm fucking done. Been an awesome couple days
Did I say this place fucking rocks? 8 hours in a car with a head that does not appreciate the drive - so FUCKING WORTH IT!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Juggernaught was a shitshow :rofl: Between my legs deciding to go on vacation, and my front brake pulling to the bar, then my arms giving out in a hole and me colapsing over the front of the bike to take (a luckily slow) dirt sample, I'm fucking done. Been an awesome couple days
Did I say this place fucking rocks? 8 hours in a car with a head that does not appreciate the drive - so FUCKING WORTH IT!
Are you going to be there tomorrow?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Are you going to be there tomorrow?
Sorry, missed this one.

Nope.
We left Canukistan at 2am Friday, arrived at the park just after opening and closed it, airbnb, back for opening, then closed it again. I'm pretty much Gumby, and really don't think I could hold on for another day. Head played nice, so am quite pleased, and not in a hurry to do anything to piss it off.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
OK, looks like we are heading back to Thunder Sept 9-11
Local bnb accommodations are a bit pricey this go round so looking at camping options.

Where are the campsites at the park and what are they like?
I'm assuming an open group type area with no showers and a porta-potty...

Any suggestions?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Mohawk Trail state forest is about 10 minutes down the road. I know it fills up months ahead of time, but it might be worth checking availability if someone cancelled. Country Aire is 10 minutes in the other direction. Not sure how it is. Foolhardy Hill is over by Mohawk State park. I haven’t stayed in any of them, just FYI. I’ll probably be there on the 11th riding. No can do on the 10th.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
They also have camping right at the base of the mountain, actually.
Called Country Aire about one of the Cabins, and tent sites. No answer, left msg, will try again later. Gonna call Thunder as well to get the full lowdown. From what I have read, it seems ther are a few sites arouind the base, and overflow in the parking lot, No idea of any facilities past a probable porta-potty. Will post up what they say.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
working on being there the 9th/10th...
I'm 50/50 at the moment.
Just came back from a canoe trip and I aggravated an old thumb injury.
Not sure if I can hold on, so test ride tomorrow will tell.
If I am able to make it, look for a decrepit old guy on a raw Knolly Podium.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I'm 50/50 at the moment.
Just came back from a canoe trip and I aggravated an old thumb injury.
Not sure if I can hold on, so test ride tomorrow will tell.
If I am able to make it, look for a decrepit old guy on a raw Knolly Podium.
No worries! Life and plans happen and change. Am able to swing Saturday the 10th for a day trip.

I am also old, full of aches and pains, and like to ride bikes with fun people.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, we were planning on hitting Thunder this weekend.
Leaving Thursday night, driving thru the night, then riding Fri and Sat then driving back Sunday.

Weather is not looking very good. At this point 100%d chance of rain or thunder both days.

What is their rain policy and how does it ride when wet, trail closures, etc.

Basically what should we expect if the weather clears a bit and we pull the trigger and do the drive?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Hopefully the weather changes. I was there yesterday and one day the prior 3 weekends. It’s been running so goddamn good. Rain during the week and dry sunny weekend days. At least the days I’ve been. Everything is open now, except upper Hawleywood, Too Easy and the lower half of Fort Hill. They were working on upper Hawleywood yesterday though. They’ll close if it’s thunder and lightning or torrential rain. Otherwise they’ll stay open. Typically they’ll close the jump lines if the dirt is saturated. Everything else will be open. I’m hoping to get there Sunday myself.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
lol how the heck is Too Easy not open? We literally built it with a leaf blower and loppers. Nothing to maintain, maybe they just don’t have any downhillers on the trailcrew any more?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
lol how the heck is Too Easy not open? We literally built it with a leaf blower and loppers. Nothing to maintain, maybe they just don’t have any downhillers on the trailcrew any more?
Not sure. There’s a bunch of ski trail work going on at the exit of it. Maybe that’s why. I remember riding that trail the weekend it opened. Holy shit. Pure raw, steep fun.

They’re also putting in a detachable quad to the summit off to the right of the main lift.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, the trip got blown out due to the weather.
Now trying to re-schedule to the end of August.

My buddy is saying the AirBnB fees for cancellation are brutal, and even though the hosts are into a re-schedule, AirBnB are being dicks. Looks like we are going to eat about 75% of what we would have spent if we made it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, the trip got blown out due to the weather.
Now trying to re-schedule to the end of August.

My buddy is saying the AirBnB fees for cancellation are brutal, and even though the hosts are into a re-schedule, AirBnB are being dicks. Looks like we are going to eat about 75% of what we would have spent if we made it.
I would have just went :p

Blows about AirBnB. It changes if you have a group of people, but when the girlfriend and I travel we no longer even consider them. Hotels are so much more convenient and don't bend you over with cleaning fees or stupid ratings.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I would have just went :p

Blows about AirBnB. It changes if you have a group of people, but when the girlfriend and I travel we no longer even consider them. Hotels are so much more convenient and don't bend you over with cleaning fees or stupid ratings.
Ya, AirBnb cause a group, otherwise fuck them.
It came down to finances. I can get in one good trip this summer.
With 80 and 90% chance of rain/thunder, it was not worth the 8 hour drive to end watching puddles form. Now looking at Aug 24-26 or mid September...

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I'll be there 8/31-9/1 because my wife is doing the ladies allride there. Looking forward to it. We're in some weird Air BnB where the bathroom is like down a path from the apartment, but its like an actual bathroom and not an outhouse, it was pretty cheap though.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'll be there 8/31-9/1 because my wife is doing the ladies allride there. Looking forward to it. We're in some weird Air BnB where the bathroom is like down a path from the apartment, but its like an actual bathroom and not an outhouse, it was pretty cheap though.
It is still an outhouse if ya gotta go outside, no matter how swanky. :bonk:

Aug 25 and 26 is the one so far that seems to work for almost everybody.
I don't think anybody has even looked at an AirBnB yet. Half of me want to just say fuck-it and camp, but not sure I can hang with the after party. Add to that I am just getting back from a week long canoe trip a few days before, so not sure how hot I will be about more sleeping on the ground, especially after getting beat up by my bike. :fie:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Damn you thunder mountain regulars must have some tough hands. I’ve never gotten blisters on my hands from mountain biking before.