Quantcast

thursday gfmt

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
younger brother/wife fly in from colorado today.

they will be disappointed in the weather.

there is one river near the parents that looks like it could use a mowing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't think you catch shingles, it is a flare up of the chicken pox virus that stays with you for life.
Huh, I guess I was making it up? I wonder what the doc is talking about... said the shingles is a result of the vaccines Lil heathen had last week.
maybe you're both right? Possibly your wife never had chicken pox? and so caught it from your daughter and the first flare-up exhibits like shingles?

All I know is that it's pretty friggin painful apparently. sux to be your wife.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just fixed a big issue with a report here at work (which was created well before my time). This issue has apparently been going on for years. I was fully expecting to have to get outside help, but upon digging into the query behind the report, I discovered that the word "terminated" was spelled "terminiated".

Yep, problem solved. I am going to take full credit for this one and play it up. Ugh... :banghead:

because I came in last night, I may be able to get out for a ride tonight. fingers crossed. must spend less time on the monkey....

anyones of youz have experience with induction cooktops? My addition/kitchen reno started this week, so this weekend we have to decide on appliances. I had originally been thinking gas (we already have it coming to the house for the hot water heater and furnace, so it would only require some additional lines within the house, not bringing in a gas line). But the more I read about induction, the more it seems appealing: quicker to boil, better simmering, low chance of the kids burning themselves on a hot element. Our pots will work with it, I've checked.... Electricity is pretty constant here, we rarely ever get service outages, and they are usually resolved in less than an hour... Electricity is also produced pretty "clean" here, no more coal, lots of hydro, some nuclear, so the emissions profile is pretty decent. I think that by not having to run a new gas line in the house, the price of induction is pretty even with gas. I don't see a downside.

Another question: solid hardwood floor in kitchen/living room/dining room (it will be one big massive open space), or engineered hardwood? I read on-line that solid hardwood ain't so great in a kitchen. But I'm willing to buy it unfinished and have it finished in-situ if that helps. But it seems "why bother"? If engineered hardwood looks as nice, is as durable, and less susceptible to water damage / humidity fluctuations (we get a lot of that here), then the only consideration is off-gassing from the glues and resins. but if I get the hardwood finished in the house, I'll have the same problem, plus the headache of not being able to circulate on the ground floor for a few days (big problem...)

Any advice/thoughts?
Gas, gas, or gas. Screw any kind of electric heating for the purpose of cooking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just fixed a big issue with a report here at work (which was created well before my time). This issue has apparently been going on for years. I was fully expecting to have to get outside help, but upon digging into the query behind the report, I discovered that the word "terminated" was spelled "terminiated".

Yep, problem solved. I am going to take full credit for this one and play it up. Ugh... :banghead:
Congratulations! You are now spell check! Press F7 to continue!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got a KOM with the dork-logger tonight, in the dark.

Twas a very very fun ride. Almost ran over a fatttttasssss raccoon that could barely waddle out of the way. Its getting pretty cool at night though!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Truck be fixed. All it took was some daylight to discover that one of the two batteries has a cracked case and the acid was leaking out. two dead cells, other battery was going bad as a result of the one with the cracked case. I replaced them both with group 65 AGM batteries. Truck fired right up and seems to be doing just fine