Quantcast

thursday gfmt

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello. Unplanned day off from work so the window guys can replace the bay window on the front of the house....the last step in completing the siding project. They called last night to say the window is in and they want to install today. Heck yes we can be home!

2000 yard swim done early this morning with the masters group. I improved on my 100 test (1:46) and 200 test (3:53). I mean, it's not jonkranked or stoney speed, but it's steady improvement. Bikey later!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
down to 224 so I have lost 51 pounds. Been really working hard to get my old ass back in shape doing cardio and weight training. Waist is down to a 34.

another day on the short bus, weekend plan is a ride and a hike on Saturday then a long Kayak on the lake Sunday

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Took advantage of the partial snow day yesterday to watch a special on krokodil. Man that was nasty. The wife and I were recoiling at the people just melting themselves into oblivion. Drugs are bad m'kay?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Howdy yall.

Today is going to be an absolute shitshow. It snowed over night and now it is freezing rain. There is a nice layer of ice on EVERYTHING.

I also remembered to do up the zipper on my pants today, unlike yesterday.

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Mornin!

Took advantage of the partial snow day yesterday to watch a special on krokodil. Man that was nasty. The wife and I were recoiling at the people just melting themselves into oblivion. Drugs are bad m'kay?
I saw that also it's beyond comprehension why someone would try that stuff, exposed bones and they keep doing it

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made my way back into the woods yesterday to take some pictures. This was pretty hard to find again.

Frank Beck
Company F
13th Virginia Infantry
CSA

13th Virginia was an all Volunteer unit formed in 1861. Records show Beck died in 1861. No battle listed, I am guessing this may be because the cause was disease. Knowing that folks didn't bury their dead in the middle of nowhere there probably was a homesite nearby. It was under my nose.

Not much left except for what was probably the ruins of the hearth/chimney.

Cabin probably wasn't much bigger than my bong shed. Could still see furrows in the ground from what I suspect was the last garden planted.

Some unmarked graves not too far away. These are right next to an old dirt road and easy to spot, looks like someone cleared the leaves off recently.

Big unnatural hole in the ground, still site?

Elsewhere I found the collapsed remains of what was probably a bong shed or chicken coupe. Someone left their bike.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
11 hours of sleep last night, I earned it with an exceptionally good 45 minute cardio workout. They use METS to measure intensity and I still have to stay under 6, previously I was kept in the 3 to 4 range.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Made it in today but definitely went offroading to get out of the driveway. The whopping 4" of ground clearance I have was not the best when driving in today. Still made it in though.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have to give a presentation to the vice president in an hour. Currently integrating emoticons, transitions, and stuff flying in and out of the slide. Hopefully he has a sense of humor.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Made my way back into the woods yesterday to take some pictures. This was pretty hard to find again.

Frank Beck
Company F
13th Virginia Infantry
CSA

13th Virginia was an all Volunteer unit formed in 1861. Records show Beck died in 1861. No battle listed, I am guessing this may be because the cause was disease. Knowing that folks didn't bury their dead in the middle of nowhere there probably was a homesite nearby. It was under my nose.

Not much left except for what was probably the ruins of the hearth/chimney.

Cabin probably wasn't much bigger than my bong shed. Could still see furrows in the ground from what I suspect was the last garden planted.

Some unmarked graves not too far away. These are right next to an old dirt road and easy to spot, looks like someone cleared the leaves off recently.

Big unnatural hole in the ground, still site?

Elsewhere I found the collapsed remains of what was probably a bong shed or chicken coupe. Someone left their bike.

Finding stuff like that is awesome. Is there a lot of that in the South? I've never found a grave site or anything like that, mostly just old rock walls and foundations of buildings built out of rock.

Finding cars out in the middle of no where is always interesting, too.

I have to give a presentation to the vice president in an hour. Currently integrating emoticons, transitions, and stuff flying in and out of the slide. Hopefully he has a sense of humor.
Don' forget to toss in a few star wipe transitions and maybe a little comic sans?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Finding stuff like that is awesome. Is there a lot of that in the South? I've never found a grave site or anything like that, mostly just old rock walls and foundations of buildings built out of rock.

I ain't from around here, but it seems to be tradition with poor country folk to bury family very close to home. There are a lot of little small family grave sites all over the place. It isn't an uncommon site to still see someone getting buried in a front yard just a few feet from the road. So of course any abandoned homes are going to have old graves.

In this particular case I could definitely see how a family would want to bury a dead soldier close to home and possibly a little hidden in the woods. This was a warzone then and heavily contested ground. One could easily expect to be occupied at any time.

Last edited:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Liking the after work light! Last night I felt like getting some hill climbs in cuz I've had my eye on a Portland ride that is 50 miles with 7,350' of climbing. I don't know if my back or knees can handle that so instead, last night I rode 6 miles with 1,936 of climbing. It wasn't a "ride" really, just a few hills by my house. I feel no effect today. SWEET

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Made it in today but definitely went offroading to get out of the driveway. The whopping 4" of ground clearance I have was not the best when driving in today. Still made it in though.
I miss my days in my little Honda civic. I called it the power sled. So much awesome rallying in the snow. Roundabouts here are the best because they ice over and become impossible to negotiate in anything but a crazed racecar driver fashion.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Every time I come back from one of my longer trips I find myself in a disconnected state, not particularly linked into routine tasks and schedules which had come to seem important due to habit. It's rather nice.
Given your whole awesome retirement situation, why return? Just go on a permanent trip. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It's Friday of a four-day long weekend. Work is crazy. I'm looking forward tot he time away. I only wish I could recreate properly, but it looks like everything will suck this weekend: skiing and biking. :thumbsdown:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Does an electric shock get emitted to your nuts if you go over 6?
The nurse and her assistant magically appear by your side take your blood pressure and give you a brief but stern lecture on "just because you can doesn't mean you should". I have stress test next Thursday; if the results are good I will be free to exceed 6 after my 12th session, if the results are excellent I may be able to workout strenuously the following day.

Caradio Rehab can best be described as an abundance of caution. :) A nut shock once in awhile would be good...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
:popcorn:
In my experience, very few deck-heads can take jokes in or about their beloved slide decks. You are attacking professional egos.
I spent 90 minutes yesterday reviewing several hundred slides on 12 decks that took an average of 2 or 3 minutes to download, having the word EMPOWER appear as a single statement slide at least a dozen times seemed a bit dramatic.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
:wave:

After being cooped up inside all day yesterday, I apparently am obligated to entertain wife and child with an outside excursion to someplace distant today.
I suggest a trip to Netflix-land!

Final tally for my neighborhood was 18" as verified by someone who stuck a yardstick in the snow. Drifts higher than that, clearly. We had a million intermittent power outages last night every 5 minutes or so, and then it went out for good from 2 to 6 AM. In our super insulated house we didn't even notice as it didn't get very cold at all: 67 at thermostat, 64 in kids rooms (with bigger windows relative to their volume thus the heat loss).

I rallied in in my Land Cruiser today, trying to widen the lanes to their usual dimensions instead of this crock of "everyone drive in 1.5 lanes" business that happens after storms. Given the state of our local neighborhood roads (unplowed save for me shaving them down to my Land Cruiser's undercarriage clearance by driving around) I suggested that the wife and kids have another home day.

Parking like a boss at work. My apologies for the inclusion of my paw in the frame. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I miss my days in my little Honda civic. I called it the power sled. So much awesome rallying in the snow. Roundabouts here are the best because they ice over and become impossible to negotiate in anything but a crazed racecar driver fashion.
Full lock and gas ftw.