Quantcast

thursday gfmt

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
FTS 10/10.

Continuing the rodent killer talk - we are thinking about getting some cats for rodent control. Been a dog owner all my life, so I have no clue "how cats work." I hear folks talk about barn cats and outside cats. How does that work? How do I establish for them that "this barn" their new turf/home? We have healthy populations of coyotes, bobcats, mtn lions in the area. Is trying to do the barn cat thing just inevitably providing one of them with a tasty treat?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
After many decades doing battle with Colorado prairie mice, I've found the best bait is some sort of stinky/tasty cheese. Never had much luck with peanut butter - little bastards seemed to be able to lick a trap clean without triggering it.

But having a cat is way less work than all that.
Our dog caught and killed one mouse out of the 50+ that have passed through over the past year and he thinks he's king shit cause of it. Silly dog.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What method were you using?

I need to refresh the peanut butter on my existing traps and then put some extras down :panic:
Fill bucket halfway with water and pour enough seeds on top to cover the entire surface. Attach a strip of wood for a ramp and sprinkle some seeds on it. They hop down to get the mother load and can’t get out then drown. Worked great for my Chipmunk infestation. Caught over 60 that way. And shot a bunch with a 22 cal air rifle. Had close to 80 of the little bastards. And my car spent a week at the shop getting their wiring damage repaired. Killing sucks, but has to be done sometimes.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
FTS 10/10.

Continuing the rodent killer talk - we are thinking about getting some cats for rodent control. Been a dog owner all my life, so I have no clue "how cats work." I hear folks talk about barn cats and outside cats. How does that work? How do I establish for them that "this barn" their new turf/home? We have healthy populations of coyotes, bobcats, mtn lions in the area. Is trying to do the barn cat thing just inevitably providing one of them with a tasty treat?
Bobcats and mountain lions are cats. Just get them to take up ownership of your barn.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Email last night at 10:15 from the escrow company handling the sale of our current house "I need this document signed today", not even a Docusign, had to print it out, sign, scan, and return a PDF. They've had 26 days so far to get us all documents, never seen this one before, fucking fuckwits. Kill list.

In other news, I have no other news. Carry on.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First day out of self-isolation. Kids are back at school, and the little one got his 2 hours with his tutor. Good thing he likes her, caus' getting up early for 2 hours of tutoring sure does suck.

Truckers still making a mess of traffic around here. Some of the organizers are former police, RCMP, intelligence establishment people. Rumors are swirling that some members of the police force are feeding them info about forthcoming operations, which is how they're staying one step ahead. If the police aren't working for the residents, wtf are we paying them for. The sense of being under seige continues. I sure hope there will be serious repurcussions, FAFO-style.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Email last night at 10:15 from the escrow company handling the sale of our current house "I need this document signed today", not even a Docusign, had to print it out, sign, scan, and return a PDF. They've had 26 days so far to get us all documents, never seen this one before, fucking fuckwits. Kill list.

In other news, I have no other news. Carry on.
pro-tip which helps with these things. You can add your signature (via picture or drawing) to Adobe DC and use it to sign documents, for free. Yeah no security, but makes it easier than printing, signing and scanning it back to yourself.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That's north of the canyon. Ain't shit over there.
Doesn't look like it'll move much further either unless the winds drastically change. Firelines look to have done their job toward the top of the hill, looks like a bunch of CalFire S2s about to make dumps at the bottom of the hill.

The real question is, will Brian Lopes use this as an excuse t post more pics of his $250k van?

FTS 10/10.

I wouldn't do a "barn cat thing". Either let 'em in and out or don't do it. You don't tell cats what to do, you establish a mutual trust and friendship relationship. Most of it's governed by motion, a tiny bit by vocalization.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
FTS 10/10.

We have out side only barn cats. They do get taken to the vet and have been spayed. We feed them and keep a heated water dish for them. But they roam our property. We have a large population of coyotes. The cats seem to be smart enough not to be dinner. One is 9 or 10 years old and has managed to not be eaten.
The cats will kill anything they can catch, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and lots of mice.

I have been having horrendous connectivity issues for months. As previously discussed, I wrote a PowerShell script to log the issue. After collecting more than a month's worth of data, Called their support, discussed my findings, and they're replacing the ISDN modem/router. Of course, they asked that I pay for it, but we got past that. We'll see what happens with the new device.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Here in Pōneke we have a predator free movement to protect native birds so loads of people have traps in their gardens. We hardly ever get rats and mice anymore, although we did get one a few weeks ago out of the blue. My cats seem to be developing soft mouths as the get older, so more like Team Catch and Annoyingly Release Indoors vs. the old Team Murder. :rant: They will be our last cats, as cats themselves are becoming less acceptable.

In other news, flu-like symptoms from booster jab gone but wife and I both really fatigued. Arms are heavy, gravity feels turned up. Was planning on riding, will see how I feel later. Bleurgh.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Jeezus - don't let syadasti get wind of this.

:D
Eh I think it’s great. Since we (humans) have cut and bulldozed all of the predators natural habitats, and hunted the ones that remained almost to the point of extinction. Squirrels and rabbits don’t have much for natural population control. My cats eat all of their kills too. Bout as natural as it gets.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
pro-tip which helps with these things. You can add your signature (via picture or drawing) to Adobe DC and use it to sign documents, for free. Yeah no security, but makes it easier than printing, signing and scanning it back to yourself.
Or use pdfescape.com + scanned in signature.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lots of places want a wet signature

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
FTS 10/10.

Friend had a cat that was "trained" to be a murderer. Their frat had a huge rodent problem, so they adopted a kitten. They would setup an arena with caught mice for it to play with, until it learned how to catch them. Then they progressively started feeding it less and less until it was in its own. That fucker was brutal. You'd come to the house and there was 4 feet and a tail lying on the front stoop. Occasionally he'd just fall out of the sky and ravage the mouse you never even knew was next to you. Took about 2 months and there was no longer a rodent problem and her started hunting around the neighborhood. He cleaned up a multiple block area in a college town.

Once my buddy graduated and brought the cat home, we caught him trying to hunt a turkey. A fucking 30# turkey. We spooked it off and dude, the look he gave us... I thought he was gonna kill my buddy in his sleep.

He also tried to take on a deer once. That was an amazing sight. He literally dropped out of a fucking tree and tried to take down a fawn.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I once had loan documents rejected due to them being signed in black ink. Thankfully the farmer had a sense of humor and when I had him resign in blue, I also had him sign another copy with a crayon. The underwriter did not seem to find that funny.
Lol wut? I've never encountered a situation where black or blue aren't acceptable. Even so, I'd expect black to be acceptable before blue...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And, the universal truth of house mice, you never have just 1.

I'd happily get a cat to help with population control, but our dogs would not be tolerant of such an addition.
Roomate had a hound in college that was really good at catching mice/rats. The drawback was that it was more than willing and capable of tearing open walls to get at them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lol wut? I've never encountered a situation where black or blue aren't acceptable. Even so, I'd expect black to be acceptable before blue...

I think it is a means of identifying an original vs a B&W photocopy/fax/mimeograph.

Cuz there is no way someone could make a multi-color copy in this day and age.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
John Deere Financial are a bunch of rude pricks. They said black ink could have been a copy and not original. Keep in mind this was in 2008 or 09 before docusign and what not was popular.