Quantcast

**Thursday GMT**

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Wow....what an awesome freakin' evening at the dirt jumps!!! The high winds we've been having dried the jumps to near concrete strength and speed. I rode for a solid 3 hours almost non-stop I was having so much fun. You barely needed one pedal stroke to get started, and then it was like riding a lightning bolt the rest of the way down. It was the best I've ridden an ages and I was boosting so big on the tabletop I was scaring myself!!

We've got some nasty-looking weather heading in today and tomorrow, so it might kill plans for riding over the weekend. Tonight, Nice Guy Mike and I are headed over to the local bike club meeting where they are discussing the need for more mountain bike trails in the area. Lots of roadies in the group, so it will be interesting to see what they have in mind, but we're curious to see if we can be of any help......

Oh.....and "Lost" tonight as well. Woot.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good stuff, Greyhound. It's a fun feeling when you are zoned in while riding.

'Morning, monkeys. My photo printer is being a pain in the ass. I was trying to print some pics last night and the ink was all screwed up. My first two pics were fine but the rest were not. It's hard to explain, but the ink is like all "orange". I don't know what the problem is. I may just buy some new ink cartridges and see if that works.

Plus, I went to pick up a 16 x 20 that I had done at Moto Photo and they never printed it. I dropped the CD off Saturday. Apparently they were out of paper and never bothered to tell me. :rolleyes: Good CS right there. Supposedly it'll be ready today. We'll see.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
G-hound... being "new" or "born again" into jumping... I now know how it feels to be ripping it smooooth on the jumps! what a feeling... it is the same feeling I get when I rip the "A" line at Snowshoe without hesitation or it is like the awesome feeling of reliving and visualizing (while laying in bed) every ride after a long day at an amusement park ! you just keep reliving it! all week I have been thinking about jumping... :monkeydance:

if I would have known that the cheapest bike in my stable would provide this much fun and excitement for biking, I would have built it a long time ago! :cupidarrow: (yes that may be the only time I will use that smiley)

found out my uncle had congestive heart failure the other night, and my aunt and cousins are holding vigil bedside. He drinks like a fiend and smokes unfiltered lucky strikes like a chimney, so I can't say at 68 we didn't see problems coming, but it is a little bit of a shock, and saddening to see the family and their reactions to the developments!

well busy day here with grades and progress reports to do, so have a good one monkey's I'll check back in a bit!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Good morning everybody.
The moon was pretty cool last night. I hung out at a friend's place playing cards and drinking beer, and going out every few hands to check out the eclipse.

greyhound: go on wit'yo bad self. I love, and sorely miss, jumping. :rant:

IAB: is there a "look at all our vacation pictures" thread somewhere that I missed?

brunge: sorry about your uncle.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Good morning.

Did nothing much last night. I am however reading a book, it's the Narrative of the life of Fredrick Douglass by Fredrick Douglass. Slavery was a messed up situation.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good morning.

Did nothing much last night. I am however reading a book, it's the Narrative of the life of Fredrick Douglass by Fredrick Douglass. Slavery was a messed up situation.
I've read that one too.....an amazing man. IIRC, didn't he teach himself to read by learning the names of the ships in the shipyard he was working in?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning all. I got everything packed yesterday for our little trip up to our snowmobiling camp for the weekend. We're leaving at some point today and it should be fun.

G-hound - sounds like a great night.

Brunge - sorry about your uncle. It's always difficult to see your loved ones in that type of situation.
you at school this week or on break? NY schools are on "winter recess".

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I've read that one too.....an amazing man. IIRC, didn't he teach himself to read by learning the names of the ships in the shipyard he was working in?
The way I understood it by my reading last night is ship builders would write letters on the pieces of the ship they were building corresponding to it's location on the boat like port/starboard etc. He used these letters to start teaching himself how to write. It seemed by this time he knew how to read just not write.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
G-hound... being "new" or "born again" into jumping... I now know how it feels to be ripping it smooooth on the jumps! what a feeling... it is the same feeling I get when I rip the "A" line at Snowshoe without hesitation or it is like the awesome feeling of reliving and visualizing (while laying in bed) every ride after a long day at an amusement park ! you just keep reliving it! all week I have been thinking about jumping... :monkeydance:

if I would have known that the cheapest bike in my stable would provide this much fun and excitement for biking, I would have built it a long time ago! :cupidarrow: (yes that may be the only time I will use that smiley)

found out my uncle had congestive heart failure the other night, and my aunt and cousins are holding vigil bedside. He drinks like a fiend and smokes unfiltered lucky strikes like a chimney, so I can't say at 68 we didn't see problems coming, but it is a little bit of a shock, and saddening to see the family and their reactions to the developments!

well busy day here with grades and progress reports to do, so have a good one monkey's I'll check back in a bit!
Sorry to hear about your uncle, brunge. He probably has no regrets, though.....lived it like he wanted to. Awesome for him, but tough for family members who don't want him to go so soon. I'll definately keep him in my thoughts.

Speaking of thoughts, though....I fully intended to credit you for my amplitude last night in my initial post, but forgot when I was typing it out. Reading about how stoked you were on the TOP at Ray's and how high on riding you were afterwards, got me really excited to ride this week.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
thanks Nick and T... we all go through it, it is just a strange thing thats all.

T, yep we are working, but I am WELL AWARE that NY schools are on break... My sister from Endicot is in town with her 3 kids and a Yap Yap dog that nips:rant:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yo. Nada mucho happening. Visited riding friends who are about to have a baby last night, was cool. Downed too many beverages. Thinking about gettin' a hair/sideburn trim for my upcoming interview (crap, this may be a suit and tie job......).

Lastly, I checked my "shaky 8 Ball" and saw my wife and baby getting arrested....Someone she knows got asked to stop breasfeeding at the NYS Museum, and I think her and other La Leche members will head to the museum for a little protest! Media: http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S352021.shtml?cat=300

Later!

PS, Brunge, sorry to hear about you uncle!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Sorry to hear about your uncle, brunge. He probably has no regrets, though.....lived it like he wanted to. Awesome for him, but tough for family members who don't want him to go so soon. I'll definately keep him in my thoughts.

Speaking of thoughts, though....I fully intended to credit you for my amplitude last night in my initial post, but forgot when I was typing it out. Reading about how stoked you were on the TOP at Ray's and how high on riding you were afterwards, got me really excited to ride this week.
sweet! I appreciate you guys in the GMT and your input into my DJ rig!... unfortunately, our weather is kinda sucking for digging, and I have a hockey tourney that I am going to this weekend to watch my nephew so I don't think I will get to Ray's or even get to ride:disgust: But I walk by my TOP everytime I go into or out of my house and I AM LOVING IT!:monkeydance: I just keep thinking "I am going to put in a small 3 pack in the back woods as soon as I can dig!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Yo. Nada mucho happening. Visited riding friends who are about to have a baby last night, was cool. Downed too many beverages. Thinking about gettin' a hair/sideburn trim for my upcoming interview (crap, this may be a suit and tie job......).

Lastly, I checked my "shaky 8 Ball" and saw my wife and baby getting arrested....Someone she knows got asked to stop breasfeeding at the NYS Museum, and I think her and other La Leche members will head to the museum for a little protest! Media: http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S352021.shtml?cat=300

Later!
that lady said the person that told her to stop had a name tag on, but the musuem says they dont have any employees with the name she saw on the tag

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Morning all. I got everything packed yesterday for our little trip up to our snowmobiling camp for the weekend. We're leaving at some point today and it should be fun.
Same here, leaving tonight for N. Maine. Have fun!

splat

Nam I am
Morning

Cold here ,so I decided I was going to drive in today , well MY car didn't want to start so I quickly changed in to bike wear and road my bike in . Glad I have that Option when I have car problems . but it was cold , so I put the electric toe heated in in my boots , they worked for about half the ride in. enough to keep my toes from getting frost bite , but they still got cold.

IAB what are you getting a 16X 20 of ?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Morning. We got a couple of inches of snow yesterday afternoon. Today everything is sparkly and white. Tonight the weather is going down the crapper. We are supposed to get snow, sleet, and then freezing rain by morning. I think I'll stay home tomorrow. Last time we had freezing rain, I had to walk home and almost got in a fight with a cop who told me "I had to go back to where I came from because it was dangerous" Well, no crap dude, why do you think I am walking, not driving? I pointed out that I was about 0.25 miles from my house and that I had already walked 1.75 miles from my office and that had no intention of turning around and going back. Eventually he acquiesced, but not until after heated debate on both sides.

In other news, I just booked a yurt for a week in July at Deep Creek Lake in western MD. Should be a fun, cheap family vacation. Coincidentally (ok, actually no coincidence whatsoever) there happens to be a DH race at Wisp that weekend. :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Morning! I'm cookin up plans for an Idaho/Wyoming/Montana mountain bike trip this summer so the maps are out and we're plotting courses. Should be a ton of fun!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been hitting the spin bikes at the gym over the past few weeks preparing for spring. Feel like I have been getting stronger and threw down some excrutiating intervals last night. It was a little humid in there and it looked more like I fell in the pool than worked out.