Quantcast

***Thursday GMT***

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Decided to ride the Thuper Awethum trail as it's a wee bit higher in elevation and usually cooler than the in town trails. It was indeed cooler, but it had recently rained and the humidity was ridiculous.

Had to move my car at the trailhead because ground nesting yellow jackets were coming out of their hive. Then I got stung by one on the trail when I stopped to cut some branches. Later another yellow jacket chased me, got into my helmet and continued to pursue me after I took my helmet off and waved it around my head.

@Westy I'll take your ticks over ground nesting yellow jackets any day.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Decided to ride the Thuper Awethum trail as it's a wee bit higher in elevation and usually cooler than the in town trails. It was indeed cooler, but it had recently rained and the humidity was ridiculous.

Had to move my car at the trailhead because ground nesting yellow jackets were coming out of their hive. Then I got stung by one on the trail when I stopped to cut some branches. Later another yellow jacket chased me, got into my helmet and continued to pursue me after I took my helmet off and waved it around my head.

Hah! You wouldn't if you didn't find it and you got some nasty disease! Ticks are the f'in worst!

You need to meet us out at Wilsons sometime. Can you ever ride during the week? Been going on Fridays lately. Doesn't look any farther for you than for us.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

There are few creatures I have a true seething hate for as much as ticks and yellow jackets, miniature schnauzers perhaps. Never had more than a few stings while on the bike, been attacked en masse while mowing, hundreds of stings. I have always had great rides after a sting or two. I think the toxins illicit a stronger endorphin/adrenaline response. Honestly biking is just a means for a nice chemical buzz and I am a junky. Fortunately it is generally healthy for you.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Hah! You wouldn't if you didn't find it and you got some nasty disease! Ticks are the f'in worst!

You need to meet us out at Wilsons sometime. Can you ever ride during the week? Been going on Fridays lately. Doesn't look any farther for you than for us.
Yeah I can do that, not tomorrow though, but sometime in the near future. I need to ride sumpindiffrent.

Do ya'll meet at the dirt mounds ?

Long shuttles or pedal up ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
There are few creatures I have a true seething hate for as much as ticks and yellow jackets, miniature schnauzers perhaps. Never had more than a few stings while on the bike, been attacked en masse while mowing, hundreds of stings. I have always had great rides after a sting or two. I think the toxins illicit a stronger endorphin/adrenaline response. Honestly biking is just a means for a nice chemical buzz and I am a junky. Fortunately it is generally healthy for you.
Caffeine + thc + adrenaline is a rather enjoyable combination, or so I've heard.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah I can do that, not tomorrow though, but sometime in the near future. I need to ride sumpindiffrent.

Do ya'll meet at the dirt mounds ?

Long shuttles or pedal up ?
It varies depending on who's going and how much time. Sometimes long shuttled routes that still have thousands of feet of climbing. Tomorrow earning it all-prolly 2500'-3000' climbing, but most on gravel roads.

Have been meeting off of Brown Mountain Beech Rd. or Pineola Rd. recently. Sometimes at DMs. Have a friend who has a house in Edgemont now, so sometimes we meet there.

Been exploring more off the grid routes as much as possible too...I'll give you more advanced notice before the next trip.

Last edited: