Quantcast

thursday gun in mouth blues post election thread

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Sorry peeps, I'm glad Trump won!!!!! Need to repeal Obamacare ASAP!!!!! Our health care is going through the roof, I have a kid starting college in a year in a half and at $30-$40K a year we need the extra money! Sorry, we don't work our asses off to have a better life to share it with the ones who put no effort into it!
how does someone else's insurance affect your medical insurance costs?

and the Repubs are squarely in the corner of no price controls on drugs. i should know... i work for a pharma while it directly benefits me (our stock was up 8% today), it's not good for the general populace.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
It was on a list of potential cabinet members many if which were already floating around, so it sounds legit.
Speaking of being unable to tell:

There is talk of nullifying the Treaty of Tripolli to make Christianity the official religion of the US (see theocracy).
Is this a thing too? I've not read this, so imma need a source.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
how does someone else's insurance affect your medical insurance costs?

and the Repubs are squarely in the corner of no price controls on drugs. i should know... i work for a pharma while it directly benefits me (our stock was up 8% today), it's not good for the general populace.
Truth is, it unfortunately won't go back down. I'm as pissed as the next guy about the POS ACA. My premium went up, and keeps going up, while my coverage drastically dropped. Pandora's box has been opened, only actual healthcare reform will fix that.

The argument is that insurance companies jacked up rates because they're forced to take everybody, but I think it went the other way, everybody was forced to buy it so they jacked up rates because they could. Our taxes pick up te tab for those who can't afford it, and now we're paying even higher premiums for those people. Obama care took a broken system and made it accessible to everybody, but did nothing to fix how severely broken it is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sorry peeps, I'm glad Trump won!!!!! Need to repeal Obamacare ASAP!!!!! Our health care is going through the roof, I have a kid starting college in a year in a half and at $30-$40K a year we need the extra money! Sorry, we don't work our asses off to have a better life to share it with the ones who put no effort into it!
A daughter? Certainly having a national leader who dismisses promotion of sexual assault as mere boys talk can not have an impact on your child's safety as Universities are perfectly safe places and bad things never happen.[/QUOTE]

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Edit:. Same goes for @boogenman too I guess.
Thank you, I truly feel privileged.

4 years of free college is not free. I paid my way through my 4 years of college working 2 jobs and taking out debt that I am still paying for. If I can do that so can anyone else no matter where they are from, what color their skin is or what kind of butt they like to sniff.

As for the ACA, in 2017 I will be paying $1,680 per month for health insurance, half of that is covered by my employer. In 2009 I was paying $816 a month for the "same plan" with the same insurance company working at the same place I work at now, they covered half then too. In 2010 my premium spiked to $1,216 per month, with drastically higher co-pays and much higher deductibles. When we had our annual meeting to go over premiums and coverage options the representative from our insurance supplier said the increases were to prepare for the ACA. So I blame the ACA and the greedy insurance companies.
I don't want to see the ACA get abolished and I don't think it will be. There are some really good benefits and some really shitty hand outs. I just want to see changes made that don't jack my premium up each year.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Speaking of being unable to tell:

Is this a thing too? I've not read this, so imma need a source.
I'll see if I can dig it up. I can't remember where I saw it. Iirc, it was about changing the law nullifying the religion part of the treaty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Truth is, it unfortunately won't go back down. I'm as pissed as the next guy about the POS ACA. My premium went up, and keeps going up, while my coverage drastically dropped. Pandora's box has been opened, only actual healthcare reform will fix that.

The argument is that insurance companies jacked up rates because they're forced to take everybody, but I think it went the other way, everybody was forced to buy it so they jacked up rates because they could. Our taxes pick up te tab for those who can't afford it, and now we're paying even higher premiums for those people. Obama care took a broken system and made it accessible to everybody, but did nothing to fix how severely broken it is.

4 years of free college is not free. I paid my way through my 4 years of college working 2 jobs and taking out debt that I am still paying for. If I can do that so can anyone else no matter where they are from, what color their skin is or what kind of butt they like to sniff.

As for the ACA, in 2017 I will be paying $1,680 per month for health insurance, half of that is covered by my employer. In 2009 I was paying $816 a month for the "same plan" with the same insurance company working at the same place I work at now, they covered half then too. In 2010 my premium spiked to $1,216 per month, with drastically higher co-pays and much higher deductibles. When we had our annual meeting to go over premiums and coverage options the representative from our insurance supplier said the increases were to prepare for the ACA. So I blame the ACA and the greedy insurance companies.
I don't want to see the ACA get abolished and I don't think it will be. There are some really good benefits and some really shitty hand outs. I just want to see changes made that don't jack my premium up each year.

hate to be the bearer of bad (inconvenient) news, but in case you've already forgotten, health insurance premiums were increasing prior to obamacare, and they would have continued to increase even if it hadn't passed. many people are just using it as a convenient scapegoat.

yes, i readily admit that there is impact to those increases because of the ACA, but to act like it's increasing solely because of it is, best case, naivety, and worst case willful ignorance.

as someone who works in the medical industry, i have probably a better idea than the average joe as to how it has impacted things, believe it or not mostly for the better. i absolutely still have issues with it, but at the end of the day its done more good than not, and it was progress where there had been none for many years. there are still a lot of improvements to be made to our health care system, and this is just one step in that process.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

this has been disproven many times over. If you are born into poverty, your ability to access the education to get yourself into a college, even if you have to beg and borrow to pay for it, is severely limited. Any examples otherwise are the exception, definitely not the rule.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
hate to be the bearer of bad (inconvenient) news, but in case you've already forgotten, health insurance premiums were increasing prior to obamacare, and they would have continued to increase even if it hadn't passed. many people are just using it as a convenient scapegoat.
Yes, like all things, it gets steadily more expensive, mine had gone up less than 5% a year. Then it doubled, while coverage dropped and because I have a cheap-shit bronze plan, my network of doctors willing to take my insurance evaporated.

I don't disagree that it's progress, but I disagree if you're implying that the progress made was worth it. Of the litany of issues with our healthcare system, as far as I can tell, ACA fixed 2. It's now possible to get coverage for pre-existing conditions, if you can afford it. If you're poor enough, you can get financial help affording healthcare coverage, but good luck paying that deductible and the couple thousand bucks in out-of pocket before your new ACA plan takes over.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Thats it.
I swear I will never set foot in the USA again, not even for a god damn stop over.
Anyone who doesnt understand just how fucked up this is and even actually voted for drump deserves everything thats coming to you in the next 4 years.

For everyone else, I hope he gets convicted for rape or something before he can actually do any of the things he said he would do.

Good luck...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, like all things, it gets steadily more expensive, mine had gone up less than 5% a year. Then it doubled, while coverage dropped and because I have a cheap-shit bronze plan, my network of doctors willing to take my insurance evaporated.

I don't disagree that it's progress, but I disagree if you're implying that the progress made was worth it. Of the litany of issues with our healthcare system, as far as I can tell, ACA fixed 2. It's now possible to get coverage for pre-existing conditions, if you can afford it. If you're poor enough, you can get financial help affording healthcare coverage, but good luck paying that deductible and the couple thousand bucks in out-of pocket before your new ACA plan takes over.
agreed, the cut off for subsidies was far too low, given that wages haven't kept pace with inflation for decades. then again, i'm in favor of a single payer system.

one of the other things its fixed is that there are now minimum requirements a health insurance plan has to meet as far as what is covered, which previously did not exist. unfortunately this was also used as an excuse by insurance companies to further increase rates.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

yes, i readily admit that there is impact to those increases because of the ACA, but to act like it's increasing solely because of it is, best case, naivety, and worst case willful ignorance.

as someone who works in the medical industry, i have probably a better idea than the average joe as to how it has impacted things, believe it or not mostly for the better. i absolutely still have issues with it, but at the end of the day its done more good than not, and it was progress where there had been none for many years. there are still a lot of improvements to be made to our health care system, and this is just one step in that process.
I worked on healthcare claims processing software for 2 different companies from '10-'12 and was floored at how the system actually works. I got to see where every dollar went and how many hands were in the cookie jar well before the ACA was in the mix.

Back when America was great, I paid ZERO for healthcare premiums for myself AND my family ('95) and to watch it grow to $1300/month (prior to working where I am now) has been an interesting ride. Too bad I needed it less when it was free. I make WAY too much to get a break on costs. :panic:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thats it.
I swear I will never set foot in the USA again, not even for a god damn stop over.
Anyone who doesnt understand just how fucked up this is and even actually voted for drump deserves everything thats coming to you in the next 4 years.

For everyone else, I hope he gets convicted for rape or something before he can actually do any of the things he said he would do.

Good luck...
If he gets impeached for Fraud will you come back Pence seems nice....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I worked on healthcare claims processing software for 2 different companies from '10-'12 and was floored at how the system actually works. I got to see where every dollar went and how many hands were in the cookie jar well before the ACA was in the mix.

Back when America was great, I paid ZERO for healthcare premiums for myself AND my family ('95) and to watch it grow to $1300/month (prior to working where I am now) has been an interesting ride. Too bad I needed it less when it was free. I make WAY too much to get a break on costs. :panic:
I'm in a torn spot. I have too much of my investments in biotech/healthcare, so no price caps benefits me directly.

However, I just did my Open Enrollment and know that my total out of pocket is going to be $6500 with another $3000 in premiums. I will pay nearly $10,000 this year for healthcare. But my anti-seizure drugs are specialty, so I have to pay full price for the brand name (generic didn't work for me), which is ~$16,000 per quarter. I am net non-profit for the insurance company and this is known from day one.

The flip side though, is that if Wifey goes independent contractor again and I lose my job, I can only get insurance because of the ACA. At $64,000 per year, I will be accepting that I am a walking seizure and there's not much of anything we can do about it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Lets not forget the huge lobby effort and opposition Obama Care got. Remember how the stupid death panel stories about how Obama was to decided if granny was going to live and the public option was also removed. If both sides faced the facts and was not in the pocket of the insurance companies I am positive it would have been a much strong option.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm in a torn spot. I have too much of my investments in biotech/healthcare, so no price caps benefits me directly.

However, I just did my Open Enrollment and know that my total out of pocket is going to be $6500 with another $3000 in premiums. I will pay nearly $10,000 this year for healthcare. But my anti-seizure drugs are specialty, so I have to pay full price for the brand name (generic didn't work for me), which is ~$16,000 per quarter. I am net non-profit for the insurance company and this is known from day one.

The flip side though, is that if Wifey goes independent contractor again and I lose my job, I can only get insurance because of the ACA. At $64,000 per year, I will be accepting that I am a walking seizure and there's not much of anything we can do about it.
I just finished open enrollment and my costs went up. I am on the highest level PPO plan we have because there isn't much for Kaiser where the ex moved to and I am the sole supplier of insurance. Company is moving to only HSA after next year, so that will be interesting.

The wife and I each took out $2500 in flex money for uncovered expenses and spent it all and we have a month to go. My bennies are actually still pretty damn good, but at $850 a month, it aint cheap, either. It is way better than the $1300 I was paying as a contractor and much better coverage. When the wife was at her old office, she had ok coverage. But now that she is independent, it's all me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I cannot complain about insurance - premiums for 2 with no kids are $550 per month, 6k per max out of pocket with 1k deduct. 135k in medical cost me 6k. I was very lucky. Many people do not have access to the health care I do.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
it's hilarious that everyone here actually thinks that either presidential candidate or the government gives one fuck about us

Did we forget a few years ago the government shut down for no other reason than grown men and women acting like 2 year olds at our expense

They all suck

We are fucked and now we are arguing with each other about them when we should be arguing about wheel size and standards

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
it's hilarious that everyone here actually thinks that either presidential candidate or the government gives one fuck about us

Did we forget a few years ago the government shut down for no other reason than grown men and women acting like 2 year olds at our expense

They all suck

We are fucked and now we are arguing with each other about them when we should be arguing about wheel size and standards
Care to explain to us how Magnets work?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
There are two (potential) silver linings here:
1. I feel like Trump is the opposite side of the same coin as Sanders- people are pissed about how our country is run. At least there is some indication that people have had their way over the will of this fucked two party system. I guess time will tell if that's the case.
2. Trump has changed positions so many times, that it's really a crapshoot what we'll get with him at this point, which at least leaves open the possibility for positive things to happen.

That said, the healthcare pre existing condition stuff is really scary.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Seriously hoping the checks and balances I learned about in grade school are a real thing and that they work.
Well the house is full of right wing retards, as is the Senate. The Supreme Court will soon return to a conservative majority and Lord help us if any of the four liberal judges keel over in the next 4 years. What checks are left? The only stabilizing force left are the corporate puppet masters who will be damn sure to stick place a shitload more of a burden on the average Joe than rising health care costs.

A fact and reality resistant party has taken the wheel. Our best hope is a swing of the pendulum in two years and a Senate that can help apply the brakes to this runaway bus. The House is so fucking gerrymandered that it will be chock full of right wing nut bags for the foreseeable future no matter what the people want.

Last edited: