Quantcast

Thursday Mini D #3 7/10

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Hey guys, the race info is up on the fluidride.com. Check it out, we'll see ya there!

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Bad new all, Mini D is canceled for tonight. I am very sorry about this and hope that it doesn't cause too much inconvenience. After last weeks race the parks department received an anonymous complaint and has brought some pressure on us. We have years of good history with the parks and don't want to risk that. We are very disappointed that this situation has to be handled in this fashion but the Mini D's are going to have to take a short break. Keep your eyes open, this is not the end, this is only a break. I will be pursuing permits for these events and hopefully we can get them going again soon, after all, I have the trophy that I have to give to someone!

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
That really sucks, I was looking forward to it. I have never raced and thought this mini series could give me a taste of what racing is. Oh well I'll make it to the next one.

Mar 19, 2008
Seattle
I have never raced and thought this mini series could give me a taste of what racing is. Oh well I'll make it to the next one.
Would have been my first race like event too. Was stoked to give it a go and meet some new peeps to ride with.

Out of curiosity, would SST have been a better venue as in it's way more bike specific trails?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
the problem with the trails at sst (aside from the flowpark) is that they are flat. That said, the Rainier cup was an excellent mini-d event held there that was pretty sweet.

So nate, the parks dept has a problem with a bunch or bros showing up with a stopwatch? or does putting it on the fluidride site and giving it a name make it too official? in either case, very lame situation.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Wasn't me. I swear....

It's part of the problem about asking for permission to use park property though and is part of the reason why race promoters charge the big bucks.
Some rider probably wanted to ride that trail last week and was told they couldn't because it was closed off for an impromptu "race".

It's definately a cool idea and good for the mtb community but, you gotta play by the all too political rules and ask for permission first and make it a little official. Just doing stuff though in very public environments won't work. That's why the underground events go down off the beaten track.

Last edited:
I think everyone can find out more information here as to how the Parks Department found out and why they have a problem; look about 3/4 of the way through the thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=429494

I had a great time at last week's race and hope that they continue. They have such a great laid back grass roots feeling to them. The best part of the race was afterwards when everyone was just hanging out and trying out each others bikes not to mention drinking my trophy. All in all it's not a bad idea to get some form of approval for these races, I just hope that the races can continue sooner rather than later.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Are you serious? This race took up about an 1/8 of a mile of trail. It's too bad people like you get all worked up over a little bit of fun.
Am I serious? Are YOU serious????
This was at ST. EDWARDS PARK. Are you new here? Or are you one of the 12 year olds that feels he has the right to build new jumps or some other freeride features there every other year then complains about "the man" when they get taken out.

I am not getting worked up at all. I just find it funny that YOU seem to be worked up beause a person complained about a BOOTLEG race.
It was an (not so) impromptu DH race in a PUBLIC park. That wasn't closed to the public.
Complaints come with THAT territory.

Sorry if the jackass didn't heed the warning of the paperplates that were probably posted as "signage".

Don't get me wrong. I was tempted to go out and do this fun little event.
But I wouldn't have complained about someone complaining?

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Am I serious? Are YOU serious????
This was at ST. EDWARDS PARK. Are you new here? Or are you one of the 12 year olds that feels he has the right to build new jumps or some other freeride features there every other year then complains about "the man" when they get taken out.

I am not getting worked up at all. I just find it funny that YOU seem to be worked up beause a person complained about a BOOTLEG race.
It was an (not so) impromptu DH race in a PUBLIC park. That wasn't closed to the public.
Complaints come with THAT territory.

Sorry if the jackass didn't heed the warning of the paperplates that were probably posted as "signage".

Don't get me wrong. I was tempted to go out and do this fun little event.
But I wouldn't have complained about someone complaining?
Get over yourself. Also, I am not 12, I have been riding mountain bikes since 1989. The one thing that has remained constant in that time is how mountain biking always has it's share of self-rightous, uptight babyboomers like you who think they know what is best for the sport. Maybe your right that St. Eds was not the best place to do this xc race (Not DH-There is no DH!) but maybe locals could share a small segment of the park with a few guys that are trying to build community and blow off some steam on a Thursday night.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Get over YOURSELF.

I know it's the internet and all so intent often gets lost. What you are losing is I am not critisizing the event AT ALL. I am pointing out the irony of YOU complaining about someone complaining about a BOOTLEG race.
You have to see the irony of that?!?

Get over yourself. Also, I am not 12, I have been riding mountain bikes since 1989. The one thing that has remained constant in that time is how mountain biking always has it's share of self-rightous, uptight babyboomers like you who think they know what is best for the sport. Maybe your right that St. Eds was not the best place to do this xc race (Not DH-There is no DH!) but maybe locals could share a small segment of the park with a few guys that are trying to build community and blow off some steam on a Thursday night.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Damn, this is a downer. Leave it to one person to ruin the fun for everyone.

This wasn't really a "race" in the traditional sense. It was a bunch of guys having the old "I'm faster then you, watch this" moment down a trail. You did it when you were a kid, each and every one of you, and some of us from time to time need to revert to our younger days.

Did we hurt anyone by racing there?
no.

Someone got their panties in a twist because someone else was having fun, and for one reason or another they didn't join in, and then they had to go and narc the cool kids out for having just too much fun. More then likely this was the same kid in grade school who took names when the teacher was out of the room.

I have faith in the guys from Fluidride. Good people always find a way to have that extra bit of fun so many of us had such a good time at. They had good intentions and a good outlook, and sometimes, that's enough.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I think that the main issue is that "no one" has the right to close off a trail for a private event without consulting the land manager in advance to at least make it legit. Then, the complaints would be lessoned.

I'd bet if some runner group decided to close off 38 for a tech downhill run and you all we're planning on riding it, the sh!t would hit the fan. Same deal.

Yeah, it hurt the people that had no intention of "racing" but just wanted to ride that trail that evening. I'm sure there was a lot of grumbling from the people using the system and not participating that evening.

Good idea, real poor planning. Hopefully Nate et al will learn from this and play the political game. It's in the shop's best interest to play nice because, after all they have to make a living at what we just do for fun.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Screw it, next time I am bringing a jousting stick and a pig head for a cod piece.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Hey Guys, Just wanted to say a few things.

First off thanks to everyone for the support, we are trying to do these events for the community and it is good to see that so many of you had fun and feel passionate about it.

Next, I just want to say for the record that at all three events we have closed no trails, had no entry fee, sign up sheet, or even a waiver. As far as the parks department is concerned this should be the same as a BBTC group ride.

Regardless of this though, we have a good relationship with the parks and want to keep it that way, so we are going to do what ever needs to be done to make this happen legally.

Have a great day all,
Nate