Quantcast

"^" Thursday yawn "^"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Maybe 60 bucks labor plus plug costs

Not too long ago mechanics charged like 100 bucks an hour and now it seems like they're all charging 250+

Plugs are super easy. Brakes and rotors are easy. I can't imagine paying almost a grand for that.
the labor rate at the tire place i was at this week was like 160 to 180 a hour...

they had one tech working and one guy at the desk....

no help to be seen....

i was able to pick my car up around 8:00....they close at six....

i told them they could have kept it....no problem...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Toddler germs week 2, how does somebody so small get me so sick so often? Going to start swimming in purrel.

I have the same problem with my Fit. Battery doesn't last more than 1.5 weeks without driving or charging.
Float charger is your friend if you're regularly parking it for long periods of time. Modern cars with lots of constant draw when combined with the tiny batteries they use to save money and weight bring the suck.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
If I was in the same state I would for some chilli
You'd be in luck - weekend after next will be our annual Green Chile Weekend. Tequila, rellenos, and vats of fresh green chile stew. :drool:

Honestly man just look it up on youtube or something. It's really not difficult
I know it's not difficult, I just don't really want to fuck with it. And if I can get someone to do it for a couple hundy, I'll trade those worthless green pieces of paper for the work.

When someone like @SkaredShtles considers the cost to repair cross threaded spark plug holes having someone else do it for him makes sense.
See - this guy gets it. :homer:

With his wife's makeup to ensure it is hypoallergenic. Brake dust really clogs the pores.
Wifee wears no makeup. Never has.

But full disclosure - first car I bought myself was a clapped out:

1632420468452.png

If you're all familiar with 70's British "sports" cars, you'll know that you'd better be prepared to get your hands (and everything else) greasy.

Also owned a '76 Triumph TR-6 which needed the motor rebuilt.

Also swapped an engine from a '80 Shitbox Tercel to an '81 Shitbox Tercel (with less rust than the other).

So I'm no stranger to automotive mechanics... I just choose not to do it any more. Unless, of course, someone wants $1000 to do the brakes. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You'd be in luck - weekend after next will be our annual Green Chile Weekend. Tequila, rellenos, and vats of fresh green chile stew. :drool:

I know it's not difficult, I just don't really want to fuck with it. And if I can get someone to do it for a couple hundy, I'll trade those worthless green pieces of paper for the work.

See - this guy gets it. :homer:

Wifee wears no makeup. Never has.

But full disclosure - first car I bought myself was a clapped out:

View attachment 165180

If you're all familiar with 70's British "sports" cars, you'll know that you'd better be prepared to get your hands (and everything else) greasy.

Also owned a '76 Triumph TR-6 which needed the motor rebuilt.

Also swapped an engine from a '80 Shitbox Tercel to an '81 Shitbox Tercel (with less rust than the other).

So I'm no stranger to automotive mechanics... I just choose not to do it any more. Unless, of course, someone wants $1000 to do the brakes. :D

Did you drive it around while wearing a tweed flat cap?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I paid $570 this week for new rotors, calipers, pads, and fluid up front on the Land Cruiser. More than happy to pay for that work on a 175k mile or so vehicle.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
These prices scare me.
I have turned my own wrenches for a long time so am not used to what retail is like.
And for when I get in over my head...

I got a guy.

Top mech at the local stealership. An actual diagnostic capable mechanic, not just a parts change technician. His hobby shop equals the dealership and he has a small machine shop as well. He builds some seriously interesting motors. And his place is c l e a n.

50.00 an hour in Canuckistani peso's is what he charges me.

I'm blessed.

Currently trying to track down an EPS module for an 03 Honda EP3 Civic.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I paid $570 this week for new rotors, calipers, pads, and fluid up front on the Land Cruiser. More than happy to pay for that work on a 175k mile or so vehicle.
actually....pretty cheap...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Wasn't via a Toyota dealer so no doubt some 3rd party knockoff parts at this point in the 2007-model-year game. But yes, that's what I was told.
i could use a 07....just need a couch with alot of spare change in it....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I am le tired. Friday nearly midday here. Stayed up till 4:30am drinking and watching crappy movies and listening to good music. I think. Not much of hangover but le tired is strong. There are chores to do however. Sigh. Spose I have to get out of bed. Weather looks great though.