Quantcast

Thursday

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Unless he's sanded it first, in which he'll dull the plane blade.
Using the plane dulls it, no biggie, just touch up the edge often and it's never that big of a deal. Now, hitting a nail, that's a problem.

I'd love a good bench plane. Not sure how much I'd actually use it, but man is it satisfying making thin, continuous paper thin curls of wood.

Watching the Japanese work with planes is oddly mesmerizing.
I have one of these, prices have gone up since I grabbed mine, but it's a pretty decent plane. Sorta gets your foot in the door without spending too much. They're a little harder to set up right than a Western plane, but one you get the hang of it it's not too bad.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Using the plane dulls it, no biggie, just touch up the edge often and it's never that big of a deal. Now, hitting a nail, that's a problem.

I have one of these, prices have gone up since I grabbed mine, but it's a pretty decent plane. Sorta gets your foot in the door without spending too much. They're a little harder to set up right than a Western plane, but one you get the hang of it it's not too bad.

No issues with the wooden base? I've always been a little leery of wooden planes; seemed they would be more subject to humidity and temperature than their metal counterparts.

Perhaps that's more of a theoretical concern though and less of a practical one. I can't profess to having oodles of time hand planning stuff.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
No issues with the wooden base? I've always been a little leery of wooden planes; seemed they would be more subject to humidity and temperature than their metal counterparts.

Perhaps that's more of a theoretical concern though and less of a practical one. I can't profess to having oodles of time hand planning stuff.

Not yet, they're supposed to be made from white oak and ideally quartersawn grain which shouldn't warp, but rather just expand and contract while remaining square. Granted I live in a desert, but I've not really heard much in the way of warped planes assuming they've been semi well maintained.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like you're ready to enter the exciting, and also quite boring and frustrating world of handplanes.

But honestly, a couple swipes with a plane will fix that joint more accurately than sanding ever will, and faster.
I like a French Cabinet Scraper for smoothing joints like that. Less likely to tear out if you have some weird grain angles.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
holy crap we bought our house 8 years ago for 535K 1700 sq foot 3 bdr 2 bath attached 2 car garage on a 10,000 sq ft lot. The house behind me just sold for $1,177,000 5 bdr 2 bath 2300 sq feet on a 10,000 sq ft lot both are single story ranch style homes built in 1977