Quantcast

***Thursderp GMT***

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Made a puddle today, what I thought was a bolt hole for a lifting bracket was actually an oil gallery, hahaha!
That was brand new oil, engine can't be in good shape.
P_20220908_090932.jpg

Tater cam, I still need a new phone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Feel a little crappy this morning. I think I am hung over and this all adds to the "I probably should just quit drinking" motivation. I sleep so much better without it, and that's pretty important as an old fart.

Got my order of cycling kit from my weird italian company last night. It's...weird. Ultra light jersey and bibs and another that fits kind of weird. Not disappointed, but maybe not impressed either.

Finally, I seem to be going through some sort of existential career crisis these days. Looks like all of my peers are associate directors at this point, and I'm languishing as a scientist. Then again, I'm the only one still in research and not analytical development, but it's frustrating and challenging to rationalize. On the one had, my focus is my family, I make good money and generally manage my stress levels. On the other, dang.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Dogs: Dad we know is early but we need to go out

Me: it's 0230 no

Dogs: you want crap on the floor?

Me: gets up

Espresso, eats then off to work by the bay all day where it should be 15F cooler than where my normal Tue/ Thur shift takes me, 95 vs 110F

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Finally, I seem to be going through some sort of existential career crisis these days. Looks like all of my peers are associate directors at this point, and I'm languishing as a scientist. Then again, I'm the only one still in research and not analytical development, but it's frustrating and challenging to rationalize. On the one had, my focus is my family, I make good money and generally manage my stress levels. On the other, dang.
try not to fall into the trap of measuring your success against that of yours peers, or others in general. there's always going to be someone ahead of / higher up than you. i struggled with this for a while. there's a guy (who i do consider a friend) that was a co-op when i was a contractor at another job. i was probably 2 years out of college at this point, he still had 2 years of college to go. fast forward a decade, i was working with him again, he was the same level as me. two years later, he was my manager. i was a bit salty at first, but after talking to him his stress and anxiety levels are through the roof. he's had to start taking a bunch of meds for it too. i get the impression he doesn't have a great work/life balance. learning that helped put things in perspective for me.

he's since been promoted again and had a 3rd kid. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
try not to fall into the trap of measuring your success against that of yours peers, or others in general. there's always going to be someone ahead of / higher up than you. i struggled with this for a while. there's a guy (who i do consider a friend) that was a co-op when i was a contractor at another job. i was probably 2 years out of college at this point, he still had 2 years of college to go. fast forward a decade, i was working with him again, he was the same level as me. two years later, he was my manager. i was a bit salty at first, but after talking to him his stress and anxiety levels are through the roof. he's had to start taking a bunch of meds for it too. i get the impression he doesn't have a great work/life balance. learning that helped put things in perspective for me.

he's since been promoted again and had a 3rd kid. :rofl:
thanks. I know there's more to life than climbing the ladder, but there's something to feeling out of place. My career has kicked the absolute shit out of me- I've been laid off four times and when I've decided to "stick it out" and not job-hop, I'm rewarded with a shitty manager who doesn't promote me or a stressful/bad manager and am forced to make a lateral transfer to protect my sanity. Most of the people I look at work long hours and have been at the same job for 7 years, which is something I haven't been privy to. In my current job, I just watched 20% of the company get promoted and lots of people year-on-year, which generally gives me the heebie-jeebies. I was just telling people about attending woodstock 99 and realized they were probably 3 when it happened...

thanks. I know there's more to life than climbing the ladder, but there's something to feeling out of place. My career has kicked the absolute shit out of me- I've been laid off four times and when I've decided to "stick it out" and not job-hop, I'm rewarded with a shitty manager who doesn't promote me or a stressful/bad manager and am forced to make a lateral transfer to protect my sanity. Most of the people I look at work long hours and have been at the same job for 7 years, which is something I haven't been privy to. In my current job, I just watched 20% of the company get promoted and lots of people year-on-year, which generally gives me the heebie-jeebies. I was just telling people about attending woodstock 99 and realized they were probably 3 when it happened...
I was never interested in climbing ladders, rather with learning, doing something useful, and having my efforts appreciated. Management is a mental and experiential death trap. If I wanted more money I asked and got it. Sometimes I got it without asking.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Feel a little crappy this morning. I think I am hung over and this all adds to the "I probably should just quit drinking" motivation. I sleep so much better without it, and that's pretty important as an old fart.
Some of the best sleeps I have had have been from can't remember what happened sorta nights.
In saying that, I did vomit then snore so much once that my mouth/throat was swollen for three days, I couldn't breath if I was on my back on the first night, hahaha!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I get it. It's tough seeing your peers or juniors seemingly leapfrog you on the career ladder. But keep in mind there are a multitude of paths to success. Some people drive towards management, titles, and "leading". Others focus on the technical aspects and being SMEs on particular subjects. There's room for both, though in my experience the first group is replaceable while the second is not.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was never interested in climbing ladders, rather with learning, doing something useful, and having my efforts appreciated. Management is a mental and experiential death trap. If I wanted more money I asked and got it. Sometimes I got it without asking.
That's another consideration...what I do is fun and interesting, and inherently rewarding. Managing people is considerably less fun, IME.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. On-site today. Schedule only half full, so I might be bailing early. New standup desk and tall monitors is very nice. I do need a better camera with a swivel though.

Sometimes more money isn't worth it. I was making well over 2x when I was at the investment bank and it damn near killed me.

In my current role, there's not much upward mobility and I don't really care. When I want more, I'll just get a new job, potentially in company. From my last position, almost everybody I hired is in some form of management position and all they do is bitch about it. The stress is high and doesn't account for they pay. They make maybe 15-20% more than me, but work 2x as much. Only one makes 2x and he works 6am-6pm, including time on the weekends. Fuck that noise.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one thing that really shifted my perspective on all this was the car accident. however i would not recommend that option to people, just take my word for it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello peoples. Working 7-4 from the hospital reading inpatient and ED studies today.

My career path is kind of nice in that I don't have many options (unless I go off the walls and found a company):

- stay the course, where on-paper promotions in rank would get me nothing except a new printed card by the office I literally never visit
- switch to private practice and work harder and get paid more after 1-2 years of getting paid less + driving commute to various sites. nah.
- angle to be a vice chair of this or that... which would be meetings. and administration. neither of which I like. so nah.

Since the money vs. time equation seems ok enough I therefore stay the course until/unless a more developed nation beckons and I move outright to Queenstown or Vienna or some shit like that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Boss called this morning and told me to stay home. Okay, will do.

Kind of afraid to eat. I expelled anything I tried last night.

But at least it doesn't feel like my organs are being squeezed in a vice, so that's nice.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Managing people is BS, avoid it if you can. I try to keep doing technical work where possible, as the "managing" side of work is where more stress and less enjoyment comes from.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

Got my order of cycling kit from my weird italian company last night. It's...weird. Ultra light jersey and bibs and another that fits kind of weird. Not disappointed, but maybe not impressed either.

In the last year or so, I've gone from drinking 12+ beers scattered over the weekend, down to 1 or 2 max. Absolutely no regrets. I feel better, sleep better, and I no longer spend half of my Saturday trying to shake off a hangover.

On the jerb thing; I chose the "more responsibility and more money" path many times, and I'm still not sure it was ever worth it. I'm probably an outlier though, in that I work for some good people who genuinely try to help when I'm trying to stuff 2 weeks of work into 1. And they're fine with me refusing to work 50+ hour weeks. If your field or organization requires long hours and many stress to advance, I would say FTS.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh hey there, poo flingers.

Celebrated one year married this past weekend in Steamboat with a bunch friends, including two other couples who’s anniversary is over Labor Day weekend. Bike riding, lake floating, beer drinking, food eating, and drunk redneck neighbor tolerating were the primary activities.

Been helping coach the local high school mountain bike team this week, going for a ride with my wife this afternoon, and maybe/probably riding with Mr. and Mrs. @6thElement this weekend.

The only jorb advice I can offer is: don’t take jorb advice from me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In the last year or so, I've gone from drinking 12+ beers scattered over the weekend, down to 1 or 2 max. Absolutely no regrets. I feel better, sleep better, and I no longer spend half of my Saturday trying to shake off a hangover.

On the jerb thing; I chose the "more responsibility and more money" path many times, and I'm still not sure it was ever worth it. I'm probably an outlier though, in that I work for some good people who genuinely try to help when I'm trying to stuff 2 weeks of work into 1. And they're fine with me refusing to work 50+ hour weeks. If your field or organization requires long hours and many stress to advance, I would say FTS.
i've been making cutbacks on drinking since i got covid back in June. between that and more exercise, and less late night snacking i'm down 10lbs.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am "management" I believe mostly so there is a person to blame.

Just broke ten years here, not sure if that is good or not.

I agree on not wanting more work, I get paid okay.

I also agree, I need to drink less.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Some of the best sleeps I have had have been from can't remember what happened sorta nights.
In saying that, I did vomit then snore so much once that my mouth/throat was swollen for three days, I couldn't breath if I was on my back on the first night, hahaha!
yeah, I can get long sleep on whatever fun things, but it's never quality sleep. I wake up feeling un-rested. When I go to bed tired but sober and wake up late, I feel like a king. I want more of that.
I get it. It's tough seeing your peers or juniors seemingly leapfrog you on the career ladder. But keep in mind there are a multitude of paths to success. Some people drive towards management, titles, and "leading". Others focus on the technical aspects and being SMEs on particular subjects. There's room for both, though in my experience the first group is replaceable while the second is not.
Yeah, I hope to continue to have some level of technical proficiency no matter what. I am in a weird position where most people in my field enter at my level with a pHD and zero experience. I am the flip with loads of experience but no secondary education. I will never have the depth of understanding that these folks do, even if I can practice it better...so I am concerned about what my future holds in research.
Hello peoples. Working 7-4 from the hospital reading inpatient and ED studies today.

My career path is kind of nice in that I don't have many options (unless I go off the walls and found a company):

- stay the course, where on-paper promotions in rank would get me nothing except a new printed card by the office I literally never visit
- switch to private practice and work harder and get paid more after 1-2 years of getting paid less + driving commute to various sites. nah.
- angle to be a vice chair of this or that... which would be meetings. and administration. neither of which I like. so nah.

Since the money vs. time equation seems ok enough I therefore stay the course until/unless a more developed nation beckons and I move outright to Queenstown or Vienna or some shit like that.
yeah, but you're a doctor. You did your time in schooling and residency or whatever. Now you make the money.

I think more stress always come with higher title. You become responsible for other peoples' careers, advancement, and joy at work. That's a lot of pressure to do correctly. Plus to produce your own data/results correctly and timely. I had an intern this summer and it doubled my workload rather than halved it....but he was happy and seemed fulfilled, and wanted to come back.
I am "management" I believe mostly so there is a person to blame.

Just broke ten years here, not sure if that is good or not.

I agree on not wanting more work, I get paid okay.

I also agree, I need to drink less.
I think it's a little tough because linkedin is the work equivalent to facebook. You get some people crabbing about how their mom won't leave their room at 35 years old, but most of it is people showing off their new cars, boats, vacations, kids, or whatever. People don't post mediocrity....so comparing myself to super-posters is always depressing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
on another note;
does anybody know anything about the 2013 Spooky Halloween special? Trying to find the geometry of a used frame on craigslist....