Quantcast

***Thursderp GMT***

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I think it's a little tough because linkedin is the work equivalent to facebook. You get some people crabbing about how their mom won't leave their room at 35 years old, but most of it is people showing off their new cars, boats, vacations, kids, or whatever. People don't post mediocrity....so comparing myself to super-posters is always depressing.
I don't use LinkedIn.

Facebook is for my humor, not for caring about things.

I don't get depressed about others having more, unless it is free time.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
comparing myself to super-posters is always depressing.
Don't compare yourself to your contacts on LinkedIn. Ever. I guarantee ya that 94.7% of whatever they are bragging about is inflated nonsense. Nothing more than a way to get people to look at their profile/resume, which may also be a high percentage of nonsense.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't compare yourself to your contacts on LinkedIn. Ever. I guarantee ya that 94.7% of whatever they are bragging about is inflated nonsense. Nothing more than a way to get people to look at their profile/resume, which may also be a high percentage of nonsense.
i haven't been on linkedin in years.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm still baffled by the concept of dedicated work social media. Started a Linkedin when I was jobless during the early days the the Quar, have not looked at it since.

Nothing exciting going on today, Korean tacos for dinner, so I suppose I should at least stay out of prison until 6:00PM.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
one thing that really shifted my perspective on all this was the car accident. however i would not recommend that option to people, just take my word for it.
:stupid:

Work is dumb. Do as little of it as possible.

I left a quasi-management position to be a cog with less responsibility 10+ years ago. 11/10, highly recommended. The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

My Linkedin experience during my recent brief foray into the job hunting world convinced me that the internet is humanities "Great Filter". FTS with a rusty tire iron.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Also, went for a ride. 1mph off my usual pace and the shortest loop I could muster in the canyon left me absolutely whipped. Hot dogs, beer, shower, nap, in that order now on tap.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
beautiful late summer day. cool in the morning, hot in the afternoon.

ride night. asked my buddies if we could start 15 minutes later so I could attend the meet the teacher night tonight. crickets. I'm inclined to believe they are reluctant to lose out on daylight. as it is, we're already doing half the ride with lights. should I take it as a sign? or is it just that everyone is busy... hmmmm

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Good:
- got the child seat mounted to the hardtail

Bad:
- lots more work needed to make things fit right

Time to track down a shorter stem and maybe some higher rise handlebars.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Good:
- got the child seat mounted to the hardtail

Bad:
- lots more work needed to make things fit right

Time to track down a shorter stem and maybe some higher rise handlebars.
I have a lot of old, shorter, higher rise stems depending on the length you need. I do NOT want money for them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
why do you guys even care about the monarchs of england!?! it's not like they are your head of state... I, on the other hand, wonder if this isn't an opportunity to move on from a constitutional monarchy... I wonder how much it's going to cost the canadian taxpayer to have to update all the official documents that pertain to the queen and change it to "king"...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
why do you guys even care about the monarchs of england!?! it's not like they are your head of state... I, on the other hand, wonder if this isn't an opportunity to move on from a constitutional monarchy... I wonder how much it's going to cost the canadian taxpayer to have to update all the official documents that pertain to the queen and change it to "king"...
MiL1 is having an emotional breakdown right now because the queen has died. Wifey and I have both declined to respond to her text messages.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good ride today. I did not have my top speed but I just had a great time on the bike. Plus a lot of other good things moved forward today.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
just respond with "the queen? well i didn't vote for her"
Think about that, voting age being 18 you would need to be 114.

I realize she was birth rate blah blah.

But, fuck, what a system.

We only have to suffer, mid level government for a life time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
WOOFUCKINGHOO!
(and no, not that woo)
My application to re-enter Canada was approved!
This is huge, and took ten years.
Squamish next summer, hoo-ray!
my previous post is highly ironic!
Did you get turned away at the border or something?

Quebec has some good riding too, just saying.. :-)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I find the Queen/King's position in the UK kinda interesting, the Royals managed to stay in power by bestowing their power to parliament, and avoided the whole revolution/decapitation thing most of Europe's other royal families experienced, but because she still had a tremendous amount of power should she choose to wield it. It's honestly impressive, they weasled their way out of any kind of actual responsibility, kept all their castles and shit, and somehow she was still the queen of all sorts of places most would think are entirely independent countries. All the good parts of being a monarch, not a single one of the bad ones, and they no longer have to marry their cousins.

Also seeing as how I care for virtually no famous people, the queen occupied a large percentage of my "famous people I care about" brain capacity, which is itself a very small portion of my brain. It's basically 7 or 8 musicians, 2-3 WCDH riders at a time, the Queen and maybe Keanu Reeves. King William? Charles? Tut? likely won't find any room on my list.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Think about that, voting age being 18 you would need to be 114.

I realize she was birth rate blah blah.

But, fuck, what a system.

We only have to suffer, mid level government for a life time.
Zero actual power, just ceremonial and a tourist attraction.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Did you get turned away at the border or something?

Quebec has some good riding too, just saying.. :-)
Yeah, 12 years ago and 15 years ago I got some DUI's when I was a disaster.(they were suspended/expunged, but that wasn’t good enough for Canada).
I have been sober ever since. It took ten years to get it together to get back to Canada, where I used to go all the time. Such a win for me.

Last edited: