Quantcast

***Thursderp GMT***

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I sold my car 2ish years ago and have only been seriously thinking the last couple of months because the truck is almost paid off. I will always look at cars, but actually getting something is different. Once the truck is paid off, that gives me options.

I might not get anything if I can't find what I really want, I'm a cheap fucker. But I do miss having something that's fun to drive. My truck is anything but fun. :rofl:

And I enjoy the looking, not the buying. But I usually deal in cash, so it's usually pretty painless.
Pro-cheap-fucker-tip: Don't buy a Porsche

HTH

:homer:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pro-cheap-fucker-tip: Don't buy a Porsche

HTH

:homer:
The chances of me buying one are pretty slim, but I do want to drive one. The 996 isn't terrible and if the engine craps out, you swap in an LS and be back on the road even more reliable than before. But I have never driven one, so I might not be missing anything.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fuckin' hell. day 4 of Covid.

I feel a bit better than yesterday, but symptoms are still very present: congestion, runny nose, nasty cough, headache. I have to make a go/no-go decision for my bike trip by tonight. I'm scheduled to fly tomorrow at 19:45. I feel like all my symptoms will have cleared out by Saturday, Sunday at the latest. But this trip is with 8 guys. Sharing hotel rooms, Air BnBs, and trucks. I really don't want to get them sick. Public Health guidelines say to wait 24 hours after symptoms clear out before coming out of isolation. My symptoms don't show signs of clearing out yet. tick tock mutherfocker.

with the looming pilots strike, Air Canada has given everyone the option of postponing or cancelling their tickets... it would be so easy... gah. can't friggin decide. I think I'll wait till 5pm today and make the call.

fuckin' Covid...
sorry homey, this is one I would cancel. At best you're going to be able to watch other people ride, and maybe spend like one day of riding at 50% of your capacity. At worst you're going to get everyone on the trip sick, a few folks on the plane, and may lose a particularly sensitive friend or two. I was wrecked by COVID for a couple of weeks, had lingering brain fog, and when I got back on the bike one week 3 or whatever, my HR was all out of wack for a while. Honestly I felt like the symptoms were the easy part. Final decision has got to be yours, but IMO I'd do the groundwork for recouping what you can and planning your next trip.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ha, turns out the Porsche has a flat tire, so I wouldn't get to drive it until later anyway. I would have been pissed had I driven there just to wait until it comes back from the tire shop.

I do still need to go sit in some seats, but that will have to wait as well.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Major suckage situation.

Isn't a big part of this trip doing some huge ass ride with huge ass climbs?

Even if the symptoms go away, you might be still dragging ass and not have a great time.

I'm all for sending it, but that'd suck to travel all that way, pay all that money and feel like poop the entire time.
sorry homey, this is one I would cancel. At best you're going to be able to watch other people ride, and maybe spend like one day of riding at 50% of your capacity. At worst you're going to get everyone on the trip sick, a few folks on the plane, and may lose a particularly sensitive friend or two. I was wrecked by COVID for a couple of weeks, had lingering brain fog, and when I got back on the bike one week 3 or whatever, my HR was all out of wack for a while. Honestly I felt like the symptoms were the easy part. Final decision has got to be yours, but IMO I'd do the groundwork for recouping what you can and planning your next trip.
This is pretty much where I'm at... even if I don't have symptoms on Saturday (and that's a big if), my physical capacity is going to be fucked for quite a while. Suffering through that would suck.

and then I don't want to get anyone sick either. not my buddies, or anyone else on the plane

have you polled your buddies to see what their thoughts are?
We're organizing this on a Slack channel. They've been inquiring, and one of them has offered to help me pack tomorrow if my symptoms clear up. But honestly, I wouldn't want me on a plane, in a room or in a vehicle with me so soon after being sick. In fact, two of them made it out on our weekly ride last week after being out "with a cold" for two weeks, and I didn't even want to shake their hands! so I guess that answers it doesn't it...

I can always count on the :monkey: for the cold hard truth!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Agent just let us know somebody interested will come and see the house Sunday which is great news. This agent has already delivered much better than the previous one. Got me started thinking what to do next. There are some decent size town houses close by or maybe go back to apartment living again.

Weekly ride was good as always. After some rain the grip was perfect after a month of super dry trails. Didn't get my post ride beer but compensated with a fried chicken sandwich and chocolate shake. Fair trade in my book.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This is pretty much where I'm at... even if I don't have symptoms on Saturday (and that's a big if), my physical capacity is going to be fucked for quite a while. Suffering through that would suck.

and then I don't want to get anyone sick either. not my buddies, or anyone else on the plane

We're organizing this on a Slack channel. They've been inquiring, and one of them has offered to help me pack tomorrow if my symptoms clear up. But honestly, I wouldn't want me on a plane, in a room or in a vehicle with me so soon after being sick. In fact, two of them made it out on our weekly ride last week after being out "with a cold" for two weeks, and I didn't even want to shake their hands! so I guess that answers it doesn't it...

how long is your trip again? could you reschedule your flight to sunday to buy a bit of time? or not worth it?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
how long is your trip again? could you reschedule your flight to sunday to buy a bit of time? or not worth it?
the problem is we (they) fly to Calgary, spend the night, and then drive straight to Panorama for a night (3.5 hours away). Then they drive down Rossland (and 8 hour drive that doesn't swing back to Calgary. So if I'm not there Saturday morning, then I miss the boat.

But then there's also what Sandwich said: I'd be firing at 50% to 70% (at best) that first week... They're planning big days and big vert. I'm already starting with a handicap to them (in the golf sense of the word), so I'm fucked in all scenarios...

I'm going to look into cancelling my flight now. snif.

maybe I could look into a late fall trip to Pisgah or something...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Skip it, you also don't want to do damage to your heart and respiratory system while it's recovering.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Major suckage situation.

Isn't a big part of this trip doing some huge ass ride with huge ass climbs?

Even if the symptoms go away, you might be still dragging ass and not have a great time.

I'm all for sending it, but that'd suck to travel all that way, pay all that money and feel like poop the entire time.
And also isn’t not resting after an infection a huge risk multiplier for long covid? (Glances at Babs…)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
this is not something I'd heard of...

but yeah, the deed is done. I've cancelled my flight.
My friend Daytona Mike reminded me that the right decision is not always the popular one. Good that you canceled before you got there. I reached my destination only to have to bail out the next day. Not happy, but it was the right thing to do. Can’t hike or ride if we’re nearly dead.