Quantcast

Thyroid situations......

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Anyone have any Thyroid situations or know about what it can do if it missfires?

I'm having some problems because of my thyroid gland...

I need to see an endochronologist(sp?) Jan. 2.....

is this what you are talking about?

(It's completely treatable)

Hypothyroidism is a condition that develops when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones regulate the way the body uses energy. A lack of thyroid hormones affects many body systems and can cause a wide range of symptoms, including feeling cold and tired, constipation, dry skin, coarse and thinning hair, poor memory, and weight gain. See an illustration of the thyroid gland.

The most common cause of hypothyroidism in the United States is Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Hashimoto's thyroiditis occurs when the body's natural defense system (immune system) produces antibodies that destroy thyroid tissue.

Other causes of hypothyroidism include:

Surgical removal of the thyroid gland, which is usually needed for thyroid cancer and sometimes needed for thyroid nodules and other thyroid conditions, such as an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism). Hypothyroidism results when all the thyroid gland tissue is removed or when remaining thyroid tissue does not function properly.
Radioactive iodine therapy, which may be needed for some thyroid disorders, such as (hyperthyroidism), and, in some cases, thyroid nodules. Radioactive iodine therapy destroys overactive (and sometimes normal) thyroid tissue leading to hypothyroidism.
Inadequate iodine or excessive iodine in the diet. This is not seen in Western countries.
Disorders of the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus.
In a mild form of hypothyroidism (subclinical hypothyroidism), the thyroid gland functions at a level slightly below normal. Certain blood tests may be abnormal, but symptoms (fatigue, memory loss) of hypothyroidism are often absent, mild, or attributed to growing older. Subclinical hypothyroidism is common, especially among older women.

During pregnancy, a woman needs extra thyroid hormone and may develop hypothyroidism. Also, if a woman is known to have hypothyroidism, it can worsen during pregnancy.

Hypothyroidism, although rare in infants and children, can cause mental retardation, delays in physical development, and behavioral problems. This severe form of hypothyroidism is caused by the failure of the child's thyroid gland to produce enough thyroid hormone.

Hypothyroidism is treated with man-made (synthetic) hormones (thyroid hormone medication). Symptoms of hypothyroidism usually disappear within a few months after treatment begins.1 Most people who develop hypothyroidism need treatment for the rest of their lives.

If hypothyroidism is not treated, severe hypothyroidism may cause swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet (myxedema). Severe hypothyroidism may also increase the risk of developing heart disease (coronary artery disease), among other complications. In rare cases, severe hypothyroidism can become life-threatening (myxedema coma).

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yes. I have a low Testosterone count and have had three blood work labs done. I have high lipids, low testosterone, and begining to suffer signs of depression. My diet is pretty good and healthy, yet I seem to be gaining more weight.

My lifestyle is fairly active with the kids and doing some yard work, but workouts and riding have been very far and few between.

I will begin getting testosterone shots starting tommorow, and have been put on effexor xr for the depression.

Yeah, I'm a mess.

zibbler

Monkey
I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It's an auto-immune disorder. Basically what the means is that my immune system thinks my thyroid is a foriegn invader and is attacking my thyroid. I was on synthroid for a while and noticed improvement, but unfortunately I no longer have insurance, so I had to stop taking it. The endo won't renew the prescription without having blood work done every 6 months, and without insurance it's just too expensive. :mad:

The symptoms I have are:
- premature grey hair (started going grey at 18 :angry: )
- Very dry skin
- Extremely tired all the time
- weight gain
- deeper voice (people often think I'm a man over the phone :rolleyes: )
- excessive sweating

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by zibbler
I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It's an auto-immune disorder. Basically what the means is that my immune system thinks my thyroid is a foriegn invader and is attacking my thyroid. I was on synthroid for a while and noticed improvement, but unfortunately I no longer have insurance, so I had to stop taking it. The endo won't renew the prescription without having blood work done every 6 months, and without insurance it's just too expensive. :mad:

The symptoms I have are:
- premature grey hair (started going grey at 18 :angry: )
- Very dry skin
- Extremely tired all the time
- weight gain
- deeper voice (people often think I'm a man over the phone :rolleyes: )
- excessive sweating
I'm just depressed. excessive sweet. Lathargic(sp?), no drive or energy. Cant' stay on task......

is the med a pill for or a shot?

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by sirknight6

I'm just depressed. excessive sweet. Lathargic(sp?), no drive or energy. Cant' stay on task......

is the med a pill for or a shot?
Yeah, I forgot about that... depresion and mood swings. It's so common for me it almost feels normal. There are days I feel angry or depressed and I haven't got a clue why. I just chalk it up to hormones. :rolleyes:

The meds are pills. You usually take one pill in the morning 2 hours before you eat. The dosage is different for everyone depending on what your T3 and T4 (thyroid hormones) levels are. That's why they want to do blood work every 6 months... so they can adjust your dosage if needed.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well the doctors office, most of whom are woman got a kick out of me saying "Slap a pair of tits on me I'm a woman". A line I stole from "Anylize This".

I mean no insult to any woman for sure, but man the mood swings are brutal, and just no hope, or energy at all for anything.

Eating very little bloats the Sh*t out of me, I mean very little and I feel as if I drank a 12 pack of cheap beer......

damn.....:(