Quantcast

Ti coil springs

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Guys, been looking at Ti coil springs for a bit and the obvious ones are Obtanium. Problem is. cant seem to find them anywhere. Are they shut?

Besides obtanium, what is the best alternatives from your vast experience. How's is RCS? Ti Seems to be harder and harder to get.

R

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I own two RCS Ti springs, and both of them saved just a modest amount of weight (around 70-90 g) vs a quality steel spring of same stroke & stiffness and inner diameter clearance.

My Cane Creek Ti spring (400 X 3.0), on the other hand, saved 200 g vs steel with same ID.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Obtanium are no more really.
Slightly off topic but does anyone know why Ti springs are not used in F1 racing?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Obtanium are no more really.
Slightly off topic but does anyone know why Ti springs are not used in F1 racing?
They use torsional springs, not coil springs due to lower induced damper friction. I'm not sure what material they use, though. But, that's why you don't see a Ti coil spring.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They use torsional springs, not coil springs due to lower induced damper friction. I'm not sure what material they use, though. But, that's why you don't see a Ti coil spring.
I would guess its because Ti is a memory metal? Might not take well to the twisting?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
correct, though they still have heave springs on the car.....which can come off and hit you in the head (massa) and i do believe they are steel. some cars are using rotary dampers too

on topic:
rcs springs are usually readily available but have been the heaviest option out there.
Fox, RS and CC all offer Ti springs direct from them (or a dealer)

DSP used to sell nice lightweight Ti springs but i think they are only selling them with their shocks right now

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would guess its because Ti is a memory metal? Might not take well to the twisting?
A linearly actuated coil springs is in fact a torsion spring as the internal forces are 'twisting forces'. Just different packaging than what you would normally consider a linear torsion spring actuated in a rotary manner.

A coil spring displaced rotationally resists bending.

Last edited:

MBU4Dirt

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
Birmingham, UK
A linearly actuated coil springs is in fact a torsion spring as the internal forces are 'twisting forces'. Just different packaging than what you would normally consider a linear torsion spring actuated in a rotary manner.

A coil spring displaced rotationally resists bending.
This is contact on Kronos Ti springs: stsales@springtime.vg They are in full stock.
Let me know if you want one!

If you're in UK, Simon@Loco is the guy to speak to about Titanium springs.