Quantcast

Ti frame with agressive geo??

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
I was wondering if anyone knows of a 6"-ish frame made out of titanium, tapered with a geometry close to a 66 head tube, 71 seat tube, 45 wheelbase, 13" bottom bracket?

Been saving my pennies for a while and I've been thinking about getting a frame that would last more than 3 or 4 years.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Be careful, 95% of "titanium" FS frames use aluminum rear ends/triangles.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Don't really see the benefit of a TI full suss frame?
Is my opinion misinformed?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think the bro-ti had like 5.5" inches of stinkbuggery going on.

ti has a certain resilience to it. kind of mutes trail scuzz and I believe it is "less fragile" than aluminum (ie higher fatigue life).

I'm not sure that's of value in terms of ride quality on a long travel FS bike, but it might last longer, at least, and it's repairable, unlike carbonz or aluminum.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i think the bro-ti had like 5.5" inches of stinkbuggery going on.

ti has a certain resilience to it. kind of mutes trail scuzz and I believe it is "less fragile" than aluminum (ie higher fatigue life).

I'm not sure that's of value in terms of ride quality on a long travel FS bike, but it might last longer, at least, and it's repairable, unlike carbonz or aluminum.
Infinite fatigue life if not stressed past the fatigue limit I believe (unlike aluminum, etc).

The Bow-Ti had nearly as much travel sideways as vertical too.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
As far as fatigue properties, yes, Ti alloys have an endurance limit similar to steel alloys. Which means that if the stress is below a certain value, the fatigue life is infinite.
And, aluminum alloys do not have an endurance limit.

In actual practice, you can still design aluminum structures to last beyond any reasonable lifespan. This is because the S-N curve is nearly asymptotic when you get out past a million cycles. That means that only a small decrease in stress can make for a 10x increase in fatigue life in actual application.

Bottom line, it still comes down to the engineers to control the stress levels seen in order to produce a frame that lasts, no matter what material you choose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Jeronimo Cycles Chabardo:

http://www.jeronimocycles.com/chabardo-ti.html

You can get it with whatever geo you like.
Wasn't the point of the bike to be more resilient then aluminum/ last 3-4 years?

Because I don't think i've ever gone 3-4 years without needing a new hanger, and new ti rear triangles seems like it'd be expensive if you need one everytime you hit your derpailler.

And MTG, you're just trying to use the voice of reason based on engineering and science to sell us something, even though we all know that your frames aren't made at some dudes house with the best metal out there. Lets be real man, were on to you.

Last edited:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
This is my bike, I've been really happy with it since last year. 160mm Travel Front and Rear, 66.5º-73.5º, 345mm BB Height, 1.5'' Headtube and 1175mm WB. It's a custom so you can ask for anything and It's going to last forever.

Attachments

Last edited: