Quantcast

Ti Racer X 29er

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I had this big detailed post put together but I don't know where it went. Time for the Cliff Notes version.

Build list for the curious:
- large Ti RX 29er
- Reba SL (no poploc for now)
- King HS with Ventana +4 crown race
- Syntace F99 stem with ti bolts
- Easton Monkeylite SL 25.4 bar
- Sram X.0 twisters and X.0 rear derailleur
- Marta SL brakes with ti caliper bolts and aluminum lever bolt
- Titec Pork Rind grips
- WTB Rocket V ti saddle
- Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
- stock seatpost clamp with ti bolt
- XTR front derailleur
- XTR cranks
- XTR 11-34 cassette
- 160mm aluminum coated rotors front & rear
- Time ATAC (last gen.) carbon pedals with ti axles, ti springs, and aluminum pins
- Wheels are American Classic disc hubs laced to ZTR 355 rims with XL14 spokes and red alloy nipples. Yellow tape and valves installed, wrapped in Crow tires - tubeless of course.
- FRM ti qr skewers

Possible changes include FSA K-Force mountain cranks if they ever become available and maybe switching all the bikes to Eggbeaters. I'll shorten the brake lines and cut the steerer as soon as I settle on bar height but I'm very close as it is.

24.2 pounds as you see it. Only one ride on back roads so far but it feels so damn fast.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
wow, thats light!
Stick with the xtr cranks, they are probably the best designed xc cranks I have seen.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
First ride on dirt yesterday went very well. Went to Chenango Valley State Park which is known to dry out very quickly and it was absolutely bone dry yesterday. Twisty singletrack riddled with rocks & roots, frequent log crossings, short ups & downs with the occasional switchback.

The bike worked flawlessly and still had that fast feeling. Climbing and descending were not an issue, switchbacks were no problem up or down, and I hardly noticed the rocks. Log crossings are going to take some adjustment both in lofting the front wheel and the fact that the bottom bracket height on the RX is considerably lower than on my main trail bike of the last 5 years. Log piles aren't a problem, just the single logs laying across the trail. I'll have to put a log out in my yard and practice a little.

I rode the Crows at 20psi and they hooked up very well which always surprises people. I leaned the bike hard through some big left & right hand benders just to see what I could get away with and I think I did push it further than I could have with my 26" Crows. I did feel the rim bottom against the tire once or twice but that's about normal for me.

One particularly twisty, rocky trail that was new last year (so not totally polished yet) showed both sides of the 29er. I felt slower with all of the twisting but taking the edge off of all the repeated rock hits was very welcome - they are normally total momentum killers. I'm sure I'll continue to adjust to the bike and how it rides, forget the bigger wheels, but I couldn't have asked for a better 1st trail ride of the year.