Quantcast

Ti Spring For a DHX 5.0

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
9.5 inches wheel travel/3 inches shock stroke = 3.166

or do you guys have different math in Idaho? :busted:
Yeah its called Craig over at avalanche. I got off the phone yesterday with him about that the shockwave and how it plows through its travel and why.
Wow thats amazing that calculation takes into account angles, rising rates etc... I see a future MIT attendee here. :D

Rate doesnt stay constant either, it can start out at 3.4 and at end stroke spike at 2.6 so its a changing rate as it goes through the travel. Canfields go 3:1 to 2:8 on the 05's and the 06/07 are more progressive and I am assuming they are hitting 2:6 at 3/4 stroke due to the progressive increase at that spot.
It has additional movement via a rocker arm and not a single pivot.
Just because something goes a certain distance vs. its total length does not account for angle of start with it gradually getting closer to the 45 degree mark or stopping point.

Yeah its between a high 3 and a 4 in its stance on the link. I can put a 15" travel bilstein halfway up my 5' trailing arm on my 7U truck and it gets 30" I can tilt in and change its progression as well as if I tilt it it get a higher rate based on angles. Plus I can squeexe another 1-2" of travel, probably not clean or effective travel but definently more than the 30". Manufactures do the same, just because its a 3" shock and goes 9" of travel does not take into account the forces playing against the movement of it ot what it really works out to.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah its called Craig over at avalanche. I got off the phone yesterday with him about that the shockwave and how it plows through its travel and why.
Wow thats amazing that calculation takes into account angles, rising rates etc... I see a future MIT attendee here. :D

Rate doesnt stay constant either, it can start out at 3.4 and at end stroke spike at 2.6 so its a changing rate as it goes through the travel. Canfields go 3:1 to 2:8 on the 05's and the 06/07 are more progressive and I am assuming they are hitting 2:6 at 3/4 stroke due to the progressive increase at that spot.
It has additional movement via a rocker arm and not a single pivot.
Just because something goes a certain distance vs. its total length does not account for angle of start with it gradually getting closer to the 45 degree mark or stopping point.

Yeah its between a high 3 and a 4 in its stance on the link. I can put a 15" travel bilstein halfway up my 5' trailing arm on my 7U truck and it gets 30" I can tilt in and change its progression as well as if I tilt it it get a higher rate based on angles. Plus I can squeexe another 1-2" of travel, probably not clean or effective travel but definently more than the 30". Manufactures do the same, just because its a 3" shock and goes 9" of travel does not take into account the forces playing against the movement of it ot what it really works out to.
Yeah, but the fact remains that the total travel divided by shock stroke is less than 4. I don't really know how else you would get a number unless you give multiple ones (as you did for the Canfield) for the top and the bottom of the travel. As a side note, I have not heard any Shockwave 9.5 owners talk about the bikes blowing through travel.

To the original poster- I don't want to rehash all this, but I would agree with others that your spring rate seems rather high. As long as you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, but I do have the same frame and I've used a few different shocks on it. I am about 20-25 lbs heavier than you and I believe I ran a 350 or so (that could be off on that) on my 5th Element and a 450 on my Fox RC (could have been a 500, but no higher than that). The 5th takes very low spring rates, but the RC takes high ones and the shock is only a 2.75 stroke.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
So, sorry to pull this one back, but did we come to a concensus on Ti springs for the DHX above 450lbs? Are they available still or am I stuck with the stock spring? Maybe I need a Roco and fit a ti spring to that.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
You can get Ti springs wound to any ol weight you want.
Just have to get them made.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Umm,

I have a Ti Spring for the DHX 5.0 at 550 and I didn't really feel a difference between that and the steel spring.
Seems like there's plenty of 500-550 lb Ti springs that will fit a DHX...As for a place to get them, try Go-Ride or call Cane Creek (I think the ID on the DB and DHX are pretty close if not the same)...Not positive, but I think Go-Ride gets there's from Renton and CC gets'em from some other source...

Assuming you don't have to get one specially made, look to spend $200-$230 (new)...

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Everybodys best bet for higher rate Ti springs for DHX's is from MOJO UK. they have them built to there specs.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Shockwaves have a 4+ leverage ratio and are extremely linear so they evenly go through the travel till the last 1/4 where they hit there spike for bottom out.
I would go 550# and minimal preload for the spring to ramp. :thumb:
really, how'd you do the math, i own a 9.5, and if i am correct, im pretty sure they have about a 3.2 leverage ratio:clapping: . and for the original question, get your shock checked out, ive had 2 shocks on my bike, im 150 dripping wet and i use a 300lb spring, could use a 35, but i like the give on the downhill. im not telling you how to do anything, if your's feels soft, get the 550

edit:just read your post, nvm the ratio comment