Quantcast

ti spring

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i have an essentially new RCS 450 lb spring for sale that fits my dhx.

mebbe you could put on a few pounds of fat and it'd be perfect for you?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
they don't list 400# 2.8 I'm lost is their a reason why my shock is listed as a 2.8 not a 2.75
Fox is the reason, they mark their springs differently than any other spring manufacturer in the industry. A 2.75 will work just fine on your DHX.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
someone always has to be different, it has to be.
alrighty then so the 2.75 is the same I take it,doesn't that short'n the spring though?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
someone always has to be different, it has to be.
alrighty then so the 2.75 is the same I take it,doesn't that short'n the spring though?
Fox marks their springs with the max spring compression at coil bind. EVERYONE else marks their springs with the shock stroke that the spring fits.

A fox 2.8 = any and all other 2.75s

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
I know I've seen someone post this q? before.It's been awhile
Do I need to go lighter or heavier on the spring if use a ti or stay the same?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
thank yo,do you know if it would be wise to go new or use?
never tried a ti spring before,I hear they last longer but how long.

I would say that most ti spring (made from a reputable mfg) will outlast you. I cant see any problem buying a used ti spring....(unless someone modded it with a hack saw or something)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've heard that ti springs are stiffer for the given weight rating. i agree that a 400lb spring should be a 400lb spring. anyone else care to enlighten?

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
I really don't mind buying new stuff but if I can make use of someone elses product that they don't use,thats one less thing to throw away to help the world and trails last.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
if you use a 400x2.75 steel spring, then thats what you need in ti, used or not, doesnt matter, they all perform the same. 400lbs is 400lbs, it wont be stiffer or it wouldnt be a 400lbs spring

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
i've heard that ti springs are stiffer for the given weight rating. i agree that a 400lb spring should be a 400lb spring. anyone else care to enlighten?
would you people stop with this crap already..go look up the formulas for spring constant..there is nothing there that has ANYTHING to do with material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What you heard is wrong. Your second point is accurate. Spring weight is spring weight. Ti tends to be actually measured properly, where steel springs have a large tolerance. Your 400 lb steel spring may be 385 or 410. The ti spring is usually 400.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
..kid....
Good one ^^ .

All I am saying is if you read this thread, or any other thread concerning ti springs, you would see that this mis-understanding has been corrected over and over and over.

It would cease to exist if people would quit bringing it up...or possibly understand what spring constant (what you refer to as 'rate') is.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
all right mr. pencil sharpener, your point has been made, and verified by the chap above you; good enough for me.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled silliness...

i heard ti springs are flexy.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
so I'm good with new or used.I really appreciate you r guys's help.
now I just need to find someone thats wanting to get rid of their 400#2.75 ti spring.
does any one know if its worth it to get a 1.5 steer tube and make all the changes or just stay with the 1 1/18 steer tube, it would seem to me that 1.5 is much more durable to go with, but if someone has been down this rout and found no difference see no reason to go with the 1.5.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
only reason i can think of to go with 1.5 is that you can get zero stack headsets to lower the front end. there may be a zero stack 1&1/8, i'm just not aware of one.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
So nothing to do with huge durability and spend more just to convert.though I'm sure that when I go to a 180 mm fork I would want zero stack since I'm running a triple drop off right now which is only a 150 mm fork.