Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just got a call from an old friend down in South Africa. After the 40 minutes of obligatory catching up, taking about the cousins, all of that, he hits me with it.

"So bru, I'm putting together a crew to go shoot photos in the Congo. First person I thought of is your crazy ass."

I've never been to Congo. Been to Sierra Leon, used to spend my summers on my uncle's ranch in Durban, but I've never been into the RUC.

Anyone been?

Seeing as I am a divorced, and thus free, man as of April one, and unless I go to the police academy (a serious consideration if they open it up) I don't have **** else going on after April 19 when the season ends. This might be a lot of fun, get some good photos, get to run around with a short AK for a couple months.

Anyone been in country over there lately? Wondering just how much of a cluster I am walking into. It would be my crazy ass cousin (ex-SA Special Forces) one of my buddies from over here (Ex-Ranger) myself (ex-special olympics) and some French girl who wants to tag along. I am not all together good with some foxy French girl on the trip, but it might add to the stupid factor of things.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
good luck in africa dirtmcgirk ! also i know your the free man now , but don't hook up with any of the chicks down there i think they all have aids.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Why are you even asking a bunch of internet geeks like us if you should be going to Africa?

Get your ass there and do it! You are in a prime position to do it.

It will help take your mind off sht at the least!

Why the fck not?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Go to Somalia and be a pirate.
You've already got the "pirate" job on the RM as far as I am concerned.

We're going to work for the next couple weeks on finding someone to pay up front for some of the expenses, as tickets to Africa are no joke funding wise. Then we need to line up a ride into the RUC, no one wants to go there for some reason right now.

Could be a good trip, publish what is really going on over there.

Means I am going to need a new camera though.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If you have the means, I highly recommend going.

Nothing like a complete life change when the opportunity is there.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
You should set up a RM "send DirtMcGirk to Africa" fund. I'd donate a couple of bucks if you keep us updated while you're there (if possible of course).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think w/ their military qualifications and your special olympic credentials you should be okay.
Congo is no joke lately, which im sure you know....or are you going to the Dem. Rep. of Congo?
hell, why not just stay in S.A.?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
You'll most likely seriously regret it if you don't go. Maybe nobody wants to go there because of the recent ebola outbreak(s). Watch out for monkeys ****ting their organs.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
i think w/ their military qualifications and your special olympic credentials you should be okay.
Congo is no joke lately, which im sure you know....or are you going to the Dem. Rep. of Congo?
hell, why not just stay in S.A.?
They want to go and shoot the going's on of the Congo.

Right now the trip is Congo (Brazzaville), DR Congo, Angola and Gabon. Figure you can get some good shots of the refugee goings on if you hit the neighboring states.

Yea, part of my worry is just how "no joke" Congo has gotten as of late. I did alright last year in Burma, but I get the impression this might even be more metal than that trip.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
he would kill you faster than the good ol' AIDS

WARNING: The Democratic Republic of the Congo is most emphatically NOT a tourist destination and not safe for independent travel or sightseeing. Most foreign governments warn against any unofficial travel to the country. Those visiting for business, research, or international aid purposes should consult with their organization and seek expert guidance before planning a trip. If you must go, see War zone safety.
hell where do i sign up??

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
This is the best part:
For most travelers, carrying a weapon will increase the risks rather than reducing them. If you carry a weapon, you are not a civilian. You will be seen as a spy or soldier, and treated as such by armed groups. Carrying a weapon you are not trained to use is extremely foolish. Even if you are an expert, a pistol will not be much use against people with AK-47s. This is a case where if you need to ask, then you shouldn't do it.

I love wiki, its like the "idiot's guide to the universe..."

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Watch Mondo enduro seven guys start a motorcycle ride around the world the long way, every place that they are told is going to be a problem ends up being the easiest.

The world is only as difficult as you make it, go to the Congo with a; I rule cause I'm an American attitude is not going to go well.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm only half 'merican.
I'm also half South African.

I've traveled before, and I tend to go with the 'camo passport' and try to keep low mentality.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm only half 'merican.
I'm also half South African.

I've traveled before, and I tend to go with the 'camo passport' and try to keep low mentality.
Are you white? Good luck.....we'll be getting a post on here from your kidnappers asking for ransom

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I actually know Robert quite well personally. He's a good friend and has been an adviser on many of my misadventures.

Spoke to my buddy again while I was riding. Looks like we may be on for this in late April. Found some folks interested in flowing the capital, which is clutch, because my divorce is going to drain me.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
He's not as cool as my uncle who was SADF SAS for a long time, but he's still entertaining.

More and more I think if this goes well maybe I should just move to South Africa for a period.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Friggin go already. Any jungle excursion with a SF guy, a Ranger, and a foxy french chick is bound to be a good time.

Fyi... the 99cent store has 12pk Durex condoms. Stock up.

Edit: condom is to wrap around your weapon's muzzle so as not to get anything filthy in it

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Fyi... the 99cent store has 12pk Durex condoms. Stock up.

Edit: condom is to wrap around your weapon's muzzle so as not to get anything filthy in it
I've been doing so since I was 15.

Yea, we're gone the end of April. Should be a good, albeit hot as all hell, time in the old Colonies.