Quantcast

Tiger Kills in SF Zoo

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am not saying we are allotted anything. I am saying that proportionally we use more resources than any other animal in nature.
And while that may be true, it does not equal overpopulation.

If you truly believe the planet is currently over populated by humans please show us what led you to these conclusions. Data please.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I am not saying we are allotted anything. I am saying that proportionally we use more resources than any other animal in nature.
That's fine, but it is the nature of any species to exploit its resources until there are too few left...then to decline in number for lack of them. We have yet to peak in terms of population, and hence, we are not "overpopulated" because that peak (carrying capacity) has not been reached. There is not proportional amount we are alloted, so it cannot be "disproportionate" because there isn't some intended balance, other than to overpopulate and then to decline.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's fine, but it is the nature of any species to exploit its resources until there are too few left...then to decline in number for lack of them. We have yet to peak in terms of population, and hence, we are not "overpopulated" because that peak (carrying capacity) has not been reached. There is not proportional amount we are alloted, so it cannot be "disproportionate" because there isn't some intended balance, other than to overpopulate and then to decline.
Overpopulation does not usually happen on global scale, it happens regionally to certain populations of animals.

For humans you can look at the Irish Potato Famine historically or you can look at various nations in Africa or Asia today.

Why should we just ignore these problems? How far off topic can we get?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yes, the tiger needed to be put down and quick, however, there is only one situation where i would hesitate to shoot and that is if the victim supports PETA, something about poetic justice there that i couldn't disrupt.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Overpopulation does not usually happen on global scale, it happens regionally to certain populations of animals.

For humans you can look at the Irish Potato Famine historically or you can look at various nations in Africa or Asia today.

Why should we just ignore these problems? How far off topic can we get?
Well if you want to make the case about some particular region being overpopulated, I'll be happy to entertain the idea, but that's not WTF you said, now is it? Why are you such a jackass?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Is that why MikeD agreed with me in this thread, I'll have to remember that:clapping:
I think you're pretty cold-hearted if you don't feel for an animal that got killed for just doing what animals do. The fact that it's an impressive, rare, and gorgeous animal make the emotions even worse.

I think you're borderline retarded if you think anyone available and properly equipped shouldn't have tried to stop that tiger immediately by any and all means, especially once it started killing people.

For once, syadasti and I agree...

I think Chris Rock had a routine on this type of thing which ended with [paraphrased]..."That tiger didn't go CRAZY, that tiger went TIGER!"

Ed: Before someone calls zoos immoral torture chambers, well, I'd have to point out that zoos are indespensible in helping keep many species alive and creating public interest which allows resources to be allocated for protecting animals and habitat...
I don't think he mentioned anythig about overpoulation. :think: and since when is MikeD the end all be all of knowledge? I thought that was Toshi?

Look man, you're getting very weird today. You are refusing to answer questions, backpedalling and in general looking for reasons to disagree with BS (and to a lesser extent, me) and argue.

And you still never answered my original post askig why you resorted to name calling and general ass-hattery.

I have to agree with BS on this one

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well if you want to make the case about some particular region being overpopulated, I'll be happy to entertain the idea, but that's not WTF you said, now is it? Why are you such a jackass?
Sorry you can't read. Here it is again - read closely. I never said globally.

But to ignore overpopulation is just plain dumb.

Overpopulation is real phenomenon observed throughout nature.
You'd have to be a real jackass to ignore the the irish potato famine or the problems in Africa or Asia right now.

But hey, lets think about this. We live in a global economy. Do you honestly think that a population living in a first world country consuming over 50 times the resources of another has no effect on other struggling third world populations exploited for their natural resources?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sorry you can't read. Here it is again - read closely. I never said globally.

You'd have to be a real jackass to ignore the the irish potato famine or the problems in Africa or Asia right now.

But hey, lets think about this. We live in a global economy. Do you honestly think that a population living in a first world country consuming over 50 times the resources of another has no effect on other struggling third world populations exploited for their natural resources?
:blah:
...another red herring to try and cover your ass.

Im done here.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think the Thunderdome would solve both the specific personal problems seen in this thread and the larger overpopulation question in general.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, how did MasterBlaster get next years Dianese bibs, anyhow?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
At first I questioned your wisdom, but then realized the parrot suit and lounge shirts would be a big fashion hit in the 'dome.
Not to mention the fact that they'd both be drunk, and if Lovebunny is driving he'd crash N 8.

Now where'd that parrot pic go?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I feel for any youg'un with his legs wrapped around Neight's shoulders.
No, no, N8 just wants him facing the back to, you know, make sure no other midgets sneak up behind them...what were you thinking?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Corky with a sidearm would be hella dangerous though.

Edit: Did you see what kind of damage Corky caused in that episode where he got a checking account? WTF? A gun would be amazing for that guy!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Should I be embarrassed that I thought that chick was hot??

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
wow, while we're on the corky derailment...

see if you can watch this in it's sub 2 minute entirety. if you can and you ever have violent feelings again, watch it more often and you will want to "celebrate."

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Wow, we went from Tiger attacks to overpopulation to CorkyWTF?????

Anyways, A bunch of posts later now, Damo, people got upset because your first two post gave a very Who cares how many people die, save the tiger. I see that you feel for people getting hurt or killed, but at the same time, what would you honestly do if you saw your loved one getting attacked by a Rare and Beautifull animal? My same responce is that I would do what would save the person the fastet, without question, the Police did the right thing, No they didnt just want to use there guns, there was a True reason for there actions. I am sorry people got hurt, and I am also sorry to hear that the world lost a rare animal, but sorry, People take priority, period.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Turns out that the tiger didn't escape, but was released.

So far the terrorist groups narrowed down is Al Qaida and ALF.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Anyways, A bunch of posts later now, Damo, people got upset because your first two post gave a very Who cares how many people die, save the tiger. I see that you feel for people getting hurt or killed, but at the same time, what would you honestly do if you saw your loved one getting attacked by a Rare and Beautiful animal? My same response is that I would do what would save the person the fastest, without question, the Police did the right thing, No they didn't just want to use there guns, there was a True reason for there actions. I am sorry people got hurt, and I am also sorry to hear that the world lost a rare animal, but sorry, People take priority, period.
I absolutely wholeheartedly agree with you here Mike. As said before, I saw a chance at some RM baiting and caught a few. I do feel for everyone involved. People and tiger. It was a great shame this happened when it is a scenario that should not have happened in the first place.

Terrorist groups? My arse. Some zoo-keeper is too terrified to admit his failure.

One replier has come to my notice however and if he wishes to visit Morzine at any stage, I will gladly continue the conversation and help him with his "solution". Snide little sh1t.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
guns > tiger > people

i've always wondered what would happen if a tiger got loose in a zoo somehow, and it seems like i was pretty spot on.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Best part of this whole thing, taken straight from Yayhoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071226/ap_on_re_us/tiger_escapes about halfway down is where I quote from

"The police chief said the animal was mauling the man, and when officers yelled at it to stop, it turned toward them and they opened fire."

The police officers actually yelled at a f'ing tiger to stop eating someone?? Were they expecting it to act like a dog does when it'sin trouble and sulk back to its cage tail between its legs? They may have well asked nicely three times then slapped it on the wrist and THEN shot....it seems to me that would be one of those "shoot now, ask later" kind of situations, but it is San Francisco.....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Best part of this whole thing, taken straight from Yayhoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071226/ap_on_re_us/tiger_escapes about halfway down is where I quote from

"The police chief said the animal was mauling the man, and when officers yelled at it to stop, it turned toward them and they opened fire."

The police officers actually yelled at a f'ing tiger to stop eating someone?? Were they expecting it to act like a dog does when it'sin trouble and sulk back to its cage tail between its legs? They may have well asked nicely three times then slapped it on the wrist and THEN shot....it seems to me that would be one of those "shoot now, ask later" kind of situations, but it is San Francisco.....
you've got it all figured out eh? did you ever think that maybe they were trying to get the tiger away from the victim so they could take a less risky shot? i think it said somewhere that they were using shotguns which means that there's a good chance they were using buck shot. buck shot has about an 18" spread at 25 yards, not exactly a surgical weapon. i would have done the same thing, even if the cat didn't stop attacking the dude it would have at least paused to see what the commotion was which would allow a better chance for a clear shot.

but as usual, cops can never do the right thing in hindsight right? :rolleyes: if they shoot they kill a rare animal. if they try and get a clean shot by yelling at the beast they're taking too long. :disgust1: