Quantcast

Tiger Kills in SF Zoo

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I will point out one thing, "Survival of the fittest"
you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest one in your group...

from a legal perspective, the zoo is f***ed. it's not "reasonably foreseeable" that the cat would be able to jump out of the enclosure, so it's hard to say that the youth are culpable for the incident. if you poke a bear with a stick in the wild, it's reasonably foreseeable that you'll get eaten. if you torment a wild animal in a zoo, it's NOT reasonably foreseeable that it will escape and kill you.

however from a personal standpoint, many of us are apalled by the thought of drunk, stoned teenagers standing on a railing tormenting a caged wild animal. it's not that I think that the teenagers SHOULD'VE been eaten b/c of what they did, but I have less sympathy for them due to their cruel actions beforehand, and a little bit of Schadenfreude in that they provoked a wild animal believing themselves to be superior (and safe) and ended up being neither.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1) Apparently because there hadn't been a tiger that was able to or tried hard enough to get out. Remember, the wall was below the minimum recommended height. So, somebody must have thought it was possible for a tiger to get out.
It was Christmas day so the zoo had a skeleton crew. None escaped in 60 years because they were no drunk people failing to follow the rules of the zoo - they were able to taunt the tiger long enough to make her mad enough to pursue them. If it had been a normal day I am sure staff would have came along and kicked them out before the tiger was mad enough to attack.

I've been on photo safari in Africa. They tell you to remain in the vehicle at all times and not to stick your hand out the window. When was in a tented camp they said not to leave the tent at night.

If I was drunk and ignored these rules its certain my fault for any injuries or death just as these people who broke the rules in the worst case scenario.

Clearly there is negligence on both the victims and zoo part. The wall was short and the zoo was understaffed that day but the victims broke the rules too.

Rules from SF ZOO:

RESPECT THE ANIMALS! The magnificent animals in the Zoo are wild and possess all their natural instincts. You are a guest in their home. They are sensitive and have feelings. PLEASE don't tap on glass, cross barriers, throw anything into exhibits, make excessive noise, tease or call out to them. If you see anyone doing so, please call (415) 753-7069 immediately.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
1) Apparently because there hadn't been a tiger that was able to or tried hard enough to get out. Remember, the wall was below the minimum recommended height. So, somebody must have thought it was possible for a tiger to get out.
You're still skirting the question. If the short wall is so significant, why has there not been any other escape in the 60 years prior to these geniuses prompting one? Are you saying that this tiger was a new generation of super tiger with mad NBA air skillz?

Do you not understand that without these idiots, this tiger would still be hanging in his pit, chowing on horse meat?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You're still skirting the question. If the short wall is so significant, why has there not been any other escape in the 60 years prior to these geniuses prompting one? Are you saying that this tiger was a new generation of super tiger with mad NBA air skillz?

Do you not understand that without these idiots, this tiger would still be hanging in his pit, chowing on horse meat?
Except for that attack last year on a zookeeper...

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Pretend the tigers were lions for a second.

This situation reminds me of when NBA players attack fans for "taunting" them. Both attackers are from Africa and the responsible institution (NBA, zoo) didn't restrain the tiger/man who ran from tigers for 1,000s of years and are liable because thats there fvcking job.

The zoos job is create a SAFE environment for people to look at things. If anyone thinks for a second a zoo doesn't take in account for people "taunting" animals when building enclosures, than your delusional. People are **** heads and don't follow the rules and they know that, whether they admit it or not. If everything in the world happened as planned than we wouldn't need seatbelts.

Also, if the tigers been a dick before, then shoot it or build a full enclosure. The zoos at fault, and the case will never see a trial and no one for any of the affected families will have to work again.

Monkey

Miss this part d!p****?
The fact that you were comparing an NBA player born in the United States to an African animal for no apparent reason makes me think you were trying to say something.:lighten:

and

This situation reminds me of when NBA players attack fans for "taunting" them. Both attackers are from Africa and the responsible institution (NBA, zoo) didn't restrain the tiger/man who ran from tigers for 1,000s of years and are liable because thats there fvcking job.
righto...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
While we are at it, let's pretend the tiger was an assault rife. Or a gallon of orange juice. Perhaps a set of windshield wipers from a 1977 ford granada.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Or a gallon of orange juice.
hey, that's not funny man. i have an uncle who was horribly disfigured when he was mauled by a bottle of tropicana at stop and shop last year. he didn't get any money for the massive number of reconstructive surgeries he had to undergo because he was seen taunting the juice aisle.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I understand that, but it is irrelevant to the point. The tiger would also still be hanging in his pit if the wall was tall enough. My point is, it doesn't matter what they were doing, the tiger should not be able to get out of the cage.

You're saying the cage kept the tigers in "well enough" (even though you agree the wall should be higher, which contradicts that) and at some contrived threshold of annoyance, it's OK for an animal to escape and maul someone to death (and then go on to attack whoever else is around until the cops come and kill the animal). I'm saying it is ridiculous, unreasonable, and unethical for a zoo that is open to the public to operate that way.

The zoos job is create a SAFE environment for people to look at things. If anyone thinks for a second a zoo doesn't take in account for people "taunting" animals when building enclosures, than your delusional. People are **** heads and don't follow the rules and they know that, whether they admit it or not. If everything in the world happened as planned than we wouldn't need seatbelts.

Also, if the tigers been a dick before, then shoot it or build a full enclosure. The zoos at fault, and the case will never see a trial and no one for any of the affected families will have to work again.
NBA players are from Africa? No, United States of America. No more racist rant, please.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Both attackers are from Africa
Bwahahahaha!! What the...?

Are you stitting down?

Most anthropolgists will tell you that YOU are from Africa too! So that means it's your fault.

Obviously we are not all going to agree on this one, and a huge problem is that none of us really have the facts. It sure is a fascinating story (and thread).