Quantcast

Tiger Kills in SF Zoo

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Crazy story

12-25) 18:34 PST San Francisco - -- One San Francisco Zoo visitor was killed and two others injured early this evening after a tiger escaped from its cage.

The tiger that got loose was fatally shot while it was attacking a patron, said San Francisco Fire Department spokesman Lt. Ken Smith.

The attack happened shortly after the zoo's 5 p.m. closing time at a cafe on the east end of the zoo, officials said. The tiger cages are located near the center of the zoo.

The condition of the two injured patrons was not immediately known. It was also not clear how the tiger escaped.

Officials at first worried that four tigers had escaped, but three of the tigers never left their pen, Smith said.

The killing happened almost exactly a year after a zookeeper was mauled during a public feeding. The state has ruled that the zoo was responsible for that incident because of the unsafe configuration of the cages.

This evening, shortly after the 5:17 p.m. report of the attack, shotgun-wielding police officers and firefighters gathered around the zoo's south entrance.

Firefighters were using tall ladders to shine flashlights into the zoo through the dense eucalyptus trees.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm glad they killed her. It's not as if there is a shortage of tigers eh?

Did they run out of options or did the f*k*n cops just want to use their guns?

Tiger should have taken a few more stupid people with her....

I hate stories like this.

Merry Christmas tiger.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Did they run out of options or did the f*k*n cops just want to use their guns?
"The tiger that got loose was fatally shot WHILE it was attacking a patron," said San Francisco Fire Department spokesman Lt. Ken Smith.

Hell yeah, damn cops, pulling out their guns and saving someone being attacked by a tiger.
Protecting and serving, those bastards!

Maybe if you would have been there, you could gave the nice kitty a big bowl of warm milk, some pets, and then asked him if would mind returning to his cage.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If a Tiger is in the process of mauling someone, I would hope you would do whatever you needed to to stop it, tranquilizers<SP> take time to take effect, so Killing it would have been my first thought as well, and I wouldnt think twice either.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
On a side note, my fiance' and I were at the SF Zoo last Saturday. It was the first time that I'd been there in about 13 or 14 years.

And we stayed for kitty-feeding...

I think I'll be avoiding the SF Zoo from now on.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Sorry, we aren't short of people....
:disgust1:

Then lets start by getting rid of YOUR excess relatives.

If you think animals are more important than people then you have your priorities screwed up.

If a tiger was attacking my loved one I would hope that the cops would use many big guns to take it down. Even better I would hope that the zoo keepers would have big guns on hand to kill it before the cops got there.

Hell, now I want to go to wherever the hell tigers live and do some tiger hunting!!!!! Hells yeah! Anyone here know if tigers taste good?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you think animals are more important than people then you have your priorities screwed up.
The killing happened almost exactly a year after a zookeeper was mauled during a public feeding. The state has ruled that the zoo was responsible for that incident because of the unsafe configuration of the cages.
The real wrong was poor management of the zoo's tiger exhibit - they are responsible for the death/injury of the patrons and the tiger.

The police were doing their jobs but so was the tiger who was in that situation because of the zoo for the amusement of their patrons.

Its like blaming a gun manufacturer when some irresponsible parents leave a loaded gun lying around and it kills their kid.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was thinking about how unlikely this is. How many zoo visitors gets killed by tigers. It must be something like one in 4 billion - the pure guy had the odds on his sides.

I have never liked the zoo all the animals looks like they are very aware that they are caged up and they look at me like "dude you are part of the problem". At least you can bring your own beer to the zoo in Copenhagen and get drunk and look at the monkeys.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Hell, now I want to go to africa and do some tiger hunting!!!!! Hells yeah!
Good luck with that.

The tiger (Panthera tigris) is a mammal of the Felidae family, the largest of four "big cats" in the Panthera genus.[3] Native to much of eastern and southern Asia, the tiger is an apex predator and an obligate carnivore. Reaching up to 4 metres (13 feet) in total length and weighing up to 300 kg (660 pounds), tigers are comparable in size to the biggest extinct felids.[4][5] Aside from their great bulk and power, their most recognizable feature is the pattern of dark vertical stripes that overlays near-white to reddish-orange fur, with lighter underparts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The real wrong was poor management of the zoo's tiger exhibit - they are responsible for the death/injury of the patrons and the tiger.

The police were doing their jobs but so was the tiger who was in that situation because of the zoo for the amusement of their patrons.

Its like blaming a gun manufacturer when some irresponsible parents leave a loaded gun lying around and it kills their kid.
Did I say otherwise? No. Try actually reading my post before responding to it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Meh. So I am not familiar with where tigers live. I guess I am just not an brilliant as you. You dork!

My point was that I don't give a **** about tigers and want to go kill them, eat them and wear their fur.
If you go hunting, it's a good idea to start in the general area. I just wanted to save you some time. Africa is big.

You're welcome.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Meh. So I am not familiar with where tigers live. I guess I am just not an brilliant as you. You dork!

My point was that I don't give a **** about tigers and want to go kill them, eat them and wear their fur.
Whatever DnD boy. Tigers don't play cards or pretend to hunt very well.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think you're pretty cold-hearted if you don't feel for an animal that got killed for just doing what animals do. The fact that it's an impressive, rare, and gorgeous animal make the emotions even worse.

I think you're borderline retarded if you think anyone available and properly equipped shouldn't have tried to stop that tiger immediately by any and all means, especially once it started killing people.

For once, syadasti and I agree...

I think Chris Rock had a routine on this type of thing which ended with [paraphrased]..."That tiger didn't go CRAZY, that tiger went TIGER!"

Ed: Before someone calls zoos immoral torture chambers, well, I'd have to point out that zoos are indespensible in helping keep many species alive and creating public interest which allows resources to be allocated for protecting animals and habitat...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think you're pretty cold-hearted if you don't feel for an animal that got killed for just doing what animals do. The fact that it's an impressive, rare, and gorgeous animal make the emotions even worse.

I think you're borderline retarded if you think anyone available and properly equipped shouldn't have tried to stop that tiger immediately by any and all means, especially once it started killing people.

For once, syadasti and I agree...

I think Chris Rock had a routine on this type of thing which ended with [paraphrased]..."That tiger didn't go CRAZY, that tiger went TIGER!"

Ed: Before someone calls zoos immoral torture chambers, well, I'd have to point out that zoos are indespensible in helping keep many species alive and creating public interest which allows resources to be allocated for protecting animals and habitat...
Yeah, dumb crap like that happens around here. Some old (tasty) people see a mtn lion, so then they call the forest service so they can go out and hunt the mountain lion and remove it. Keep in mind we're talking forest and wilderness area here. If the lion can't find enough deer, it is PERFECTLY NATURAL for it to hunt whatever will keep it alive. My main problem is that people go into the wilderness unprepared, and the lion is just doing what it usually does, which is trying to survive. I saw a big spinal-cord from an animal in the same area where they reporte the "lion", but I didn't tell anyone. It's just all part of the experience and nature. There are already signs up that lions live in the area.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Whatever DnD boy. Tigers don't play cards or pretend to hunt very well.
What the hell are you talking about?

Seriously, what's your issue? So I don't care about the tiger... then choose an appropriate response as MikeD did and call me cold-heartedd, or something like that. (DnD boy? Umm.. I've never played DnD. Try calling me a silly costume wearer or use an image like BS does)

You are (I guess) trying to resort to name calling and insulting me, but I can't figure out why. I think that the fact that tigers don't play cards or pretend to hunt (???) is OBVIOUS. I don't see where card playing has anything to do with the fact that I am a cold herted bastard who would like to eat and wear tigers.

Normally I see your posts as intelligently written and well thought out. This one seems pretty far from that. Name calling and responding to things I never said. Not sure what's going through your head today... too much egg nog perhaps?

Maybe I should leave the trolling to N 8?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ed: Before someone calls zoos immoral torture chambers, well, I'd have to point out that zoos are indispensable in helping keep many species alive and creating public interest which allows resources to be allocated for protecting animals and habitat...
You are absolutely right. I do hate zoos. I think the majority of them are a shameful spectacle. However, some of the high-end zoos (and I have no idea where the SF zoo fits in) do have fantastic breeding programs and are responsible for keeping some species alive.

Most of my remarks are pure baiting and my views don't really run that strong. I do feel for the injured and the dead guy's family. I'm not heartless. If anyone was really upset by my remarks, then whatever. You deserve to be upset.

I do love animals. Some maybe more than (some) people (dogs come to mind). How can you not? I do hate zoos. I do hate circuses. Except the Cirque du Soleil which is animal free.

A very real problem. It's time for you to suck it up and make yourself part of the solution.
Eh? What's your message here?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you believe that the human population needs to be thinned you should do your part to reduce it by one. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
But to ignore overpopulation is just plain dumb.

Overpopulation is real phenomenon observed throughout nature. Especially humans given they disproportionate use of natural resources compared to any other organism on the planet.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
But to ignore overpopulation is just plain dumb.

Overpopulation is real phenomenon observed throughout nature. Especially humans given they disproportionate use of natural resources compared to any other organism on the planet.
"overpopulation" will only occur when humans being to heavily die off from famine, disease, etc. We are not yet at our carrying capacity. There is no proportional amount of resources that humans are alloted, only ones we impose on ourselves.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
"overpopulation" will only occur when humans being to heavily die off from famine, disease, etc. We are not yet at our carrying capacity. There is no proportional amount of resources that humans are alloted, only ones we impose on ourselves.
It hasn't happened globally but it certainly has happened regionally to populations of people throughout history.

Ok then, please give an example of another similar sized primate that uses a comparable amount of natural resources that you as human does...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It hasn't happened globally but it certainly has happened regionally to populations of people throughout history.

Ok then, please give an example of another similar sized primate that uses a comparable amount of natural resources that you as human does...
We are "alloted" whatever we can exploit. That is nature, survival of the fittest at its finest. Until we use it all up and die off en masse, we've still yet for max out our carrying capacity. Ever had an ecology course? Pretty basic stuff here.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We are "alloted" whatever we can exploit. That is nature, survival of the fittest at its finest. Until we use it all up and die off en masse, we've still yet for max out our carrying capacity. Ever had an ecology course? Pretty basic stuff here.
I am not saying we are allotted anything. I am saying that proportionally we use more resources than any other animal in nature.

Its true our better ability to adapt and exploit resources has helped human succeed but that doesn't mean we aren't using more resources than any other animal around.