Quantcast

Tiger Ride!!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey Oly you should hook up with TJ and carpool this one. This Tiger trip would be well worth your while to attend. If i can go that is.....:)
Shoulda mention TJ i gotta sideache that won't go away, gonna get it checked out who knows maybe i'll be on the operating table thursday.:D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Evilbob and I will be there tomorrow (Wednesday) night. :)
Humpday riders!!!
Just a heads up, i just read a ride write-up off the BBTC about a few people running into a mama bear and cub next to the Preston RR trailhead. Definately a good idea to get a bear bell, and stay within sight distance of riding pals.:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by shocktower
Are you saying Like Tigard :confused: :confused: :confused: ,I`am a ne wguy in Da` PNW so`s I`am confuzed
tiger mountain is off route 18, north of federal way in washington. so it's probably a good 4 hours from where you are. i wouldn't drive all the way up for it :eek: , although it is the after-work destination of choice for seattle area mtbers

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by shocktower
Are you saying Like Tigard :confused: :confused: :confused: ,I`am a ne wguy in Da` PNW so`s I`am confuzed
Take I-90 east to exit 25. Go right on to hwy 18. Follow for a few miles until you see the Tiger Mnt. trail head sign. It'll be on your right at the top of the hill. Parking lot is right there. I'd recommend meeting with some other monkeys or follow someone up the climb and on the singletrack. If you go up to the upper parking lot there is a map. Basically, the typical loop is climb the fireroad up to Preston, Preston pops out on the fire road, coming out of Preston go left down the fire road, this will turn into a slight climb which will come to a clearing with an intersection of fire roads, you'll see signs for the Northwest trail and that's the one you want, it slightly veers to the right off the main fire road (you'll see it), this trail will take you back to the original fire road and back down to the parking lot.

Its a pretty hard climb. Its about 4 miles that starts pretty steep. Its tough because you go anaerobic and have to recover while still climbing. I usually stop once about half way up. The total length is somewhere around 16 miles. A full camelback is usually enough, one energy bar does the trick. The Preston descent is pretty fast and rough with lots of rocks and roots. Make sure you bring a spare tube, pump, levers, tools,etc. A solid trail bike with 4-5" front and rear is highly recommended. Disc brakes are also a very good idea.

This is the classic XC ride in the area. Its pretty freakin close to the city for how good a ride it is. If you're from Cali, you are in for a treat. This is PNW riding at its best.

I'll be there tomorrow at around 5pm. Blue Volvo and a blue K2 trail bike. Maybe I'll see you there.

Adam

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Zoso

Its a pretty hard climb. Its about 4 miles that starts pretty steep. Its tough because you go anaerobic and have to recover while still climbing. I usually stop once about half way up. The total length is somewhere around 16 miles.
I'll be there tomorrow at around 5pm. Blue Volvo and a blue K2 trail bike. Maybe I'll see you there.
Adam
Wow...is it really that far of a loop? I've been there many times, but I didn't think it was that nutty...of course, on my SS I only pedal up about 65% of the fireroad...though getting stronger each time :thumb:

Based on Evilbob's and my conversation, he's not sure about riding if it's stilll pouring out (it's pretty nasty where I am, you actually believe the rumours that there's things like rain forests not far away on days like today).

Let me know if you're still game rain or shine...I don't mind the wet too much, just means a few extra layers of clothes.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Sorry all but Evilme will not be riding Tiger tonight.? :( It's not the rain issue I have other work and family commitments suddenly heaped upon my person. :rolleyes: :angry:

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by evilbob
Sorry all but Evilme will not be riding Tiger tonight.? :( It's not the rain issue I have other work and family commitments suddenly heaped upon my person. :rolleyes: :angry:
:( Darn!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
ooooh...Where is it and what time?
Meeting at Told McDonald parking lot at 5:45ish. There are directions to it on dirtworld.com.....

1 mile climb up then buttery single track for miles :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Snacks
Meeting at Told McDonald parking lot at 5:45ish. There are directions to it on dirtworld.com.....

1 mile climb up then buttery single track for miles :)
Ahh, I've been there many a time...and struggled with that slippery sandy hilll...lol (where the tree stump kind of blocks the trail and you have to ride upand around it)

I think I can probably make that though, though how well I keep up remains to be seen ;).

:D TTYL

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Ahh, I've been there many a time...and struggled with that slippery sandy hilll...lol (where the tree stump kind of blocks the trail and you have to ride upand around it)

I think I can probably make that though, though how well I keep up remains to be seen ;).

:D TTYL
Oh I always have to walk that section sand section....it's a social pace ride so we'll all have a good time.

Hope to see you there!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by evilbob
Ooohhh stupid responsibilities:mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: Have fun all...:(
Actually, I think I have to say the same darned thing :( My sick kitty is still sick and I have to go back to the Vets again!!! I just got home from work and she sounds like a set of bellows.

Next week???

Jen

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Actually, I think I have to say the same darned thing :( My sick kitty is still sick and I have to go back to the Vets again!!! I just got home from work and she sounds like a set of bellows.

Next week???

Jen
No worries. I understand about taking care of your cat. When my cat gets ill, the world pretty much stops :( Hope she's okay.

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Thursday should be dry.....or wet, i dont know but if you want to meet @ 5-6ish let me know! Oly has not said if he is going or not but iam all up for a car pool!!! will try calling oly tonight!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
make it 5 unless Oly want's to go in which case we'll start later. you got my digits still? i think he would have spoken up if he really wanted to go though.
Sooooo 5 at El Montana de Tigre..........

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by Skookum
make it 5 unless Oly want's to go in which case we'll start later. you got my digits still? i think he would have spoken up if he really wanted to go though.
Sooooo 5 at El Montana de Tigre..........

sorry dude have to bid a job thursday @ 5pm.... i will call you thursday day.... sorry bro still ahve not heard from OLY

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Snacks
No worries. I understand about taking care of your cat. When my cat gets ill, the world pretty much stops :( Hope she's okay.
Yeah, she's okay, she's just a little high maintenance these days :). A year ago she was diagnosed with cat asthma (when the vet first told me that I think I looked at her like she had two horns and a tail...). Anyways, she's had it most of her life (explains the snoring), but as she got older it got a lot worse. She had to go to the vets on Tuesday for a shot, and that through her system all screwbally and she had a pretty good sized attack and the vet insisted on seeing her again if she was still wheezing24 hours later. Well.... :rolleyes: So she got packed off into the car again and given a pretty big dose of sedative. She's still sleeping but at least she's calm. Sorry bout yesterday though, definitely next week (no scheduled vet appts!)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by TurkeyJerkey
sorry dude have to bid a job thursday @ 5pm.... i will call you thursday day.... sorry bro still ahve not heard from OLY
not to worry i pretty much expect it when i post a ride on this forum.:) we'll catch ya next time man.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Ice Bullit
I have never been to Tiger Mt., what is the riding like?
Cold, sloppy, and wet right now.:devil:

Preston is a descending trail starts out fast and flowy, then you ride over a rough rooty section, then you start going on these long straight old Railroad grade section where you can acquire good speed, pop off a few high roots for a little air, ride across the log if its not too wet.
Then you ride the forest road to N.W. Timber trail which is a typical N.W. XC trail some climbing some descending, nice little pedal trail.
Then if you still got some gas you can ride Iverson RR trail too, adds around 3 miles to a 12 mile ride.....

Direction top of 18 Tiger Summit Park in Lower Parking lot
Ride up to the forest road to the right(one that's gated)
As you climb up you'll see N.W. Timber Trail to your right that's where you'll eventually wind up.....
(Harsh climb for the first 2 miles.....)
After 3 miles you'll come to a T, there's a power box to your left.
Go left
You'll see Preston RR to your right (3.5 miles up) shoot in
If the trail starts to disappear backtrack you probably missed a switchback (not as easy to do as it used to be, trail marked pretty good now)
When done with Preston you'll shoot out to a forest road
Hang a left
You'll come to a Y immediately, go right
Go for a way go down and up the steep hill you'll see a spur forest road to your right. On the right side behind some gravel is the N.W. Timber trailhead. Get on it.
Eventually shoot out to forest road hang left.
done.

if you want to find Iverson ask around someone will show you it's pretty close.......
On the weekends there are tons of hikers and horses so ESPECIALLY on N.W. Timber coming back be freindly and represent us well, and dismount for horses and talk to them, the horses usually have no idea what people on bikes are, we're a frikkin bear for all they know.

Do it, and have a blast.....
:cool:

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
So would it be more of a cross country venture? If I want to go fast would I have to worry about hitting hikers? Would a 35lb freeride bike be able to ride it? Sorry about the questions, just want to get a feel for what its like before gas it over there...

-Thanks

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
So would it be more of a cross country venture? If I want to go fast would I have to worry about hitting hikers? Would a 35lb freeride bike be able to ride it? Sorry about the questions, just want to get a feel for what its like before gas it over there...

-Thanks
Everything is cross country free-ride is just shortened extreme cross country......

You always have to worry about hitting hikers, hopefully you'll slow down, smile and say hey have a nice hike, pass em and blaze on, but you can only do that if you got skillz.....

a 35lb freeride bike sounds like it's actually a trailbike to me, yah you're young you can do anything.

i've said all i think i can, if i say anymore i'll have described it so well it'll spoil the ride....;) Just go and hit it, it's a trail in the woods, better to go on a weekday, way more bikers, on the weekend it's really crowded with horses and hikers.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
I think I will just jump over the hikers and say have a nice hike while in the air.... j/k thanks for the info, I will hit it after my school is out (in about two weeks) and when the weather is a little bit nicer, sounds like fun to me. Thanks agian for the info.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sounds like fun to me. Thanks agian for the info.
no problemo, have a blast.

i just seen your bike, make sure you raise that seat when you're pedalin, it'll make life alot easier.;)