Quantcast

Tiger was fun today...not!

Went out and rode up NW Timber to the bottom of Preston. I was riding up Preston when I bashed my pedal against a rock and knocked one side loose. I didn't think it would be a big deal until the other half fell apart about 5 minutes later. At that point I was about 15 minutes from the top but decided I'd better just head back down. Well, I was nursing it down but my left foot felt pretty solid even without a pedal to clip into so I kept going a little bit faster and faster until I was back up to a normal speed. Saw tree root and drop, felt left foot slip off broken pedal, saw front wheel take a dive, and finally, saw the ground rushing up to meet me. I guess I came out alright. My right knee is bruised, bleeding, and a bit swollen but everything else seems to be just scrapes. Bike didn't get broken so that's good too.

I guess it could have been a lot worse. Some guy broke his collar bone just below where I had my get off and apparently had to walk out like that. Ouch!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You should always ride "safe" when you're riding with faulty equipment. Your main focus should be getting back out and getting your bikey fixed.

i use the burly platform spd's, i haven't broke a pair yet. Just wear the bearings down eventually. They're heavy but it pays on situations like yours.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
That's a great war story! My worst one at Tiger is when, at the very top of Preston, I decided it would be a good idea to let a little air pressure out of my shock. Then, of course I realized that a little is a LOT and had no shock. Good thing I have a lockout--I just locked it out and rode it down HT style. Who wants a hard tail at Tiger? :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
GrapeApe79 said:
That's a great war story! My worst one at Tiger is when, at the very top of Preston, I decided it would be a good idea to let a little air pressure out of my shock. Then, of course I realized that a little is a LOT and had no shock. Good thing I have a lockout--I just locked it out and rode it down HT style. Who wants a hard tail at Tiger? :)
Lose any fillings?:p

Skookum said:
You should always ride "safe" when you're riding with faulty equipment. Your main focus should be getting back out and getting your bikey fixed.
Yeah, I was telling myself that most of the way down and just found myself riding faster than I should have. The bummer is that when I got home I got my pedal repaired in about 10 minutes so I should have given it a shot on the trail. It would have been a bit harder with the mini tool kit that I have but I could probably have pulled it off.

Oh well, the knee is still sore but I still managed to ride out at Tokul Creek tonight so I think I'll live.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I still have scars from riding tiger years ago.... dont rear wheel land on a big slope of wet roots unless you wanna pay the price.