Quantcast

tight spot

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
hi, i recently turned my bike SS and have since noticed a tight spot in me chain, all the chainring, spider and sprocket are straight, theres no stiff links in the chain, does anyone have any suggestions?
cheers in advance
ps i did search but nowt came up

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I think the chain wheels are not perfectly round. (especially if its been riden awhile.) this seems to happen to every one I know that uses a single speed setup

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
just have to deal really...like he says, theyre not perfectly round...

I would tend to dissagree. Most machined chainrings are close enough to round that you would not notice a change in tension as the sprocket turned.
I would say even though you did not mention it, you are probably using a three peice BMX style chromoly crankset, as this problem is most prevalent in these. Probably DMR Chieftans?

What often happens in these is that the spindle of the crankset itself gets bent, try dissassembling it and you will be surprised how difficult it is to take the bearings off the spindle itself. 20mm spindles are the worst. I have bent them in less than a day of riding.
However this problem may also happen on ISIS type BBs as well, just not as commonly.
I would first check out your spindle, instead of just "dealing" as someone suggested, and see if you cannot get warrantee on the parts.

If you don't find any indications of a slight bend in the spindle, then check to make sure that you have the correct bushing size in your chainring center to align it properly, most chainrings are 22.2 mm (7.8") and if you have a 19mm or 20mm spindle you will require the correct size bushing to ensure that the chainring is actually centered.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i use xtr cranks and bb with a TA chainring and its all straight, ive taken them apart a number of times and this hasnt solved the problem

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
if your chainwheel is even a little out of skew, it will cause a tight spot. i have a demolition 44 on my bmx bike and it "looks" straight, but i hit it ever now and then and it gets a little bent. i just run it loose enough so that the tight spot isnt a problem.

do you have a freewheel, or a cassette? freewheels float a little and you will have tights spots from this as well.

what is a "TA" chainring?