Quantcast

Tigon.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
About the same reasonable range of effective spring force adjustment as any other piggyback shock on the market in the last 15 years or so.
Surely the range is limited and increasing the starting IFP pressure is not an advantage.

Do you know if another company than Fox market the piggyback as an adjustable spring?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know craig said its a tuning parameter he uses, but its very limited in range and affect, so it doesnt make up for say, an air-shock intended bike running a coil

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Surely the range is limited and increasing the starting IFP pressure is not an advantage.

Do you know if another company than Fox market the piggyback as an adjustable spring?
Marzocchi, Manitou, DVO, Progressive, probably others I'm forgetting.

My suspicion is that Fox/RS moved away from easy reservoir pressure adjustability there because it was easy for end users to fuck up the baseline pressures in the shock and lead to a state that was prone to cavitation and accelerated wear. At least I hope that much thought went into it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Correct. "Slightly" being the key word there. About the same reasonable range of effective spring force adjustment as any other piggyback shock on the market in the last 15 years or so. The new CC already has an IFP that provides a gas spring also, so it has 3 springs working in parallel (1 coil, 2 gas).
With progressive springs available wouldn't you really only need enough adjustability to cover the gaps between spring rates? Wouldn't allow an OEM to slap a one shock fits all riders like an air shock, but that rarely is optimal for everyone anyway.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Soon someone will invent a position sensitive damper.

This doesnt seem all bad, but its a band aid for those bikes that were F-ed from the factory for coil shocks because every bike company went to air shocks to save money and spend every year since trying to convince us that they finally made an air spring work as well as a coil.

And yeah, noticed I have to have the HSR on the IL pretty much maxed to do anything useful there and make the shock actually “dampen”.
I think we learned from someone trying to make that mistake
1698851679181.png

I loved my Capra's suspension with a coil shock. Not with an air shock.
Don't get me wrong I really enjoy my Capra with the TTX but I'd still argue it could be a bit less progressive. If not a lot less.

uhm, for all those bikes they offer links (and the many more ppl want them to make one for too)?

Yup. This is a better solution

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I kinda liked boostvalve and SPV on my old '08 GT Sanction. That bike had a very linear character, and we didnt know what volume spacers were back then, so could any kind of progression.
I ended up riding most of the time with a manitou inline SPV shock, where I put a tapered shimstack between the SPV valve and the piston, so that the SPV mostly provided position sensitive highspeed damping.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I remember when people were trying to convince us those DHX Air's were good on this very forum.

Granted I have no room to talk, I had a manitou revox? (whatever their DH air shock was called) that I tried to convince myself was good for awhile because it was better than the DHX Air I had tried, before finally came to the conclusion that air shocks just kinda suck on DH bikes.

Edit: It was called an Evolve ISX6.

And decent damping couldn't make up for a shitty air spring.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Couldn't you just add a longer bump stop to a traditional coil shock?
I think that's traditionally been Push's thinking... they've got a bunch of different bumpers that they can chose from as part of their tune for bike/rider.

That said, one drawback to using a giant bumper (or mini air chamber) for bottom out is that the force is returned in the rebound. Whereas HBO dissipates it as heat (through the damper). Or just having a progressive kinematic?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
why not elastomer all the things?
Frankly I wish they had done something more with serious bottom-out bumpers (which the DB has been lacking since they started) rather than add more complexity and change architecture completely. This layout screams "unmitigated force accrual leading to serious bucking" especially since there's no HSR adjustment and the DB was already very weak in that area, but I would reserve judgement until I get to check out what their base settings are. Might work OK if they've gone with a super aggressive rebound setting internally.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think that's traditionally been Push's thinking... they've got a bunch of different bumpers that they can chose from as part of their tune for bike/rider.

That said, one drawback to using a giant bumper (or mini air chamber) for bottom out is that the force is returned in the rebound. Whereas HBO dissipates it as heat (through the damper). Or just having a progressive kinematic?
The bumper on my shock seems to be way too stiff. Even when undersprung and underdamped I don't get the last 10mm of travel on the shock at what I consider to be my max bottoming event, about a 5' huck to flat. Thinking of trimming it down but am hesitant as replacing it will require a partial rebuild.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The bumper on my shock seems to be way too stiff. Even when undersprung and underdamped I don't get the last 10mm of travel on the shock at what I consider to be my max bottoming event, about a 5' huck to flat. Thinking of trimming it down but am hesitant as replacing it will require a partial rebuild.
You can't just pop the spring retainer off, pull the spring, and pull the bumper over the eyelet?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

Traffic cone orange one is softer than stock Fox bumper, dark orange is stiffer.

I've got both, the bright orange one is soft! It's like bottoming out on a nice little marshmallow.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado

Our bumpers feature damping generated from the material specification and geometry to prevent them from "springing back" energy on the rebound stroke.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
We have different options and would be happy to help. Assuming you're using something like a Motion Instruments data logger to see how much travel is being used. Are you 100% confident in your potentiometer calibration?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:D Judging by the wear on that device I'd say you're being robbed of some small bump sensitivity from that extra friction!
It also makes annoying squeaking sounds. I plan on removing it when I am happy with the setup.

But on that note this princess doesn't care about peas under the mattress.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
No joke. I have one of those puppies on my DH bike and dont intend to ever change it. Fox peaked with that shock.
I like mine, but it seems to generate a fair bit of heat around the bridge and eventually fading. Fresh wpl 10wt. Im having issues finding my setting after its heated up.
Did the teams set them up with thinner oils?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I like mine, but it seems to generate a fair bit of heat around the bridge and eventually fading. Fresh wpl 10wt. Im having issues finding my setting after its heated up.
What frame and how long trails? Also are you heavy? Never noticed it on mine. I'd complain about HSC and maybe rebound but that's it

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Have you ever tried it without the Canadian hippie oil? :D

As much as they may spout about it being great, perfect properties, etc I have never had a good experience using WPL.

The viscosity index for the 10wt is 213, which is pretty low for a shock oil.
Maxima 10wt is 334.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
What frame and how long trails? Also are you heavy? Never noticed it on mine. I'd complain about HSC and maybe rebound but that's it
2017 Aurum with a 29 jammed in a 27.5 fox on fast DH tracks and 185lb. 3.5 to 4- long. We are getting warm Downunder atm. On a first run on a really Janky fast 2 min run i noticed the bridge was quite warm by the bottom, the body not yet. I know the comp adjuster does a bit of work but thats where the heats generating. And im running on 2 hsc 6 lsc from open. Rebound 6,7,8 on a 500lb spring depending on track.
Have you ever tried it without the Canadian hippie oil? :D

As much as they may spout about it being great, perfect properties, etc I have never had a good experience using WPL.

The viscosity index for the 10wt is 213, which is pretty low for a shock oil.
Maxima 10wt is 334.
i did look to see the VI once i noticed and i recall it being 311. Edit nope its 213 or 250 where on their page you look.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Alright. So someone needs to create a latest and greatest nerdy mtb app with way too much data (hench the nerd part)

That is a "Bike Selector"

You enter your factors (height, weight, travel, geo, reach, stack, all the blah) And it will spit out the right bike for you. As for the suspension Fox, RockShox, Ohlins, etc., you're on your own.

HA see what I did there? Wait, is this the make fun of the industry thread?

Pretty sure the product peeps at bike companies factor down to the lowest common dominator. Altho, I will say my Commencal TR was spot on. And was happy to pay for it.