Quantcast

Tilt shift + Photoshop experiment.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I am hopeless with Photoshop. Utterly hopeless.

Here's a shot I'm trying to get right, but it just looks shiite:

What could I do better? I'm wanting to give a print to the elderly owners of this bar who I've known for years, but I'd like a better one than this.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I see a couple of things that take away from the pic:

-white fringing on the hand and tweezers. Re-crop the original using the Magnetic Lasso tool and 0 feathering OR reshoot the pic of the hand and minimize the white bouncing on it.
-the lighting of the skier in tweezers could use a little help. Use the Burn tool to darken the underside.
-looks like the light is coming straight down, putting down a shadow on the ground beneath the hand may help with the realism. The Burn tool can take care of that.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok.

Here's a retake. It's better, but fcked if I'm wanting to spend any more time on it tonight. :D

What do you think?:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I didn't notice the one car in the first pic. the second one I thought you actually added it.

Very cool improvements.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I hope you didn't print that tiny jpg version?

Verify the print size in Photoshop Image > Image Size > Document Size (not pixel size). If you blow up a 4 x 6 to 8.5 x 11, it's not going to look very good. With images you are actually going to print, you want to try and start with a full-size original and scale down if needed.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I hope you didn't print that tiny jpg version?

Verify the print size in Photoshop Image > Image Size > Document Size (not pixel size). If you blow up a 4 x 6 to 8.5 x 11, it's not going to look very good. With images you are actually going to print, you want to try and start with a full-size original and scale down if needed.
It was a 4.9meg jpeg file.