Quantcast

Timberline Downhill Season 2009

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
ATV, Motocross & Mountain Biking
These are just a couple of things that have been happening at Timberline (WV) this past Memorial Day weekend.

The turn out to these events were incredible.

Special arrangements were made between Timberline Resort & local photographers to bring you plenty of action shots.

Here are two links to look at:
(115 photos) Motocross:
www.akaflash.com/coverage/motorcross-timberline-may-2009/photos

(73 photos) ATV:
www.akaflash.com/coverage/atv-timberline-may-2009/photos

May 24th also marked the beginning of Downhill Mountain Biking at the resort – the locals have already been enjoying some brand new trails.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
timberline is a legit dh spot, and they cater to bikers like no other. after witnessing snowshoe's newfound lack of customer appreciation, i'll be driving the extra couple hours to hit tline

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
we were kicked out of the silvercreek campground (where i've camped for 3+ years) by a dickhead snowshoe pd officer.... kept throwing out the line "this is like disney world, you gotta pay to play". said there's never been camping at snowshoe....two minutes later I asked if it was a new policy and he said yes? further contradicted himself by saying camping was too much of a liability because of the bear problem, but we were welcome to pay 26$ a night to camp on the west ridge.

that, and the fact they took money that was supposed to be put back into the trails and bought a fleet of gay ass segways. i've always bragged about snowshoe, but they're really falling off....i was dissapointed last weekend to say the least

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
yeah i would like to hear more on that, snowshoe looks prime this year...dont hate unless you have good reason.
no water at lifts, lifts opening late/closing early for no good reason, season pass rate has gone up. i could go on, but you're probably right, i'm hating with no good reason

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
The lack of water at the lifts definitely sucked. There were some guys drinking out of a powerade cooler on the western side on Saturday and when the liquid had cleared out, there was about an inch of absolutely disgusting congealed red gel in the bottom. I hope those guys didn't get sick. There were even cups out beside it and everything so it LOOKED right for the drinking (from the outside at least).

As Rewster also mentioned, their lack of adhering to their posted hours kind of sucked. I intentionally got a late start on Saturday because the signs at the top of the lift (on both sides) said "Saturday 10am - 6pm" but apparently they close up at 4pm instead now. We got to the bottom of the western side after a great run and I saw the shuttle bus was at the bottom and the lift had stopped running. :banghead:

I also personally saw two of the bike shop guys being extremely rude to several customers. If they were my employees I would fired them on the spot. But alas...I don't really care as long as I can avoid the place.

FWIW I still had an amazing time. The people at Starbucks were incredibly nice.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I had an awesome time at the shoe. I had complaints as well...but I'm just going to use them as motivation for my own projects.

Back on track...I plan to see what timberline has to offer next time I'm in WV!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
we were kicked out of the silvercreek campground (where i've camped for 3+ years) by a dickhead snowshoe pd officer.... kept throwing out the line "this is like disney world, you gotta pay to play". said there's never been camping at snowshoe....two minutes later I asked if it was a new policy and he said yes? further contradicted himself by saying camping was too much of a liability because of the bear problem, but we were welcome to pay 26$ a night to camp on the west ridge.

that, and the fact they took money that was supposed to be put back into the trails and bought a fleet of gay ass segways. i've always bragged about snowshoe, but they're really falling off....i was dissapointed last weekend to say the least
Not trying to defend the way it was handled by the security officer or take a jab at you, but camping in the Silver Creek parking lot for free has always been against Snowshoe policy. Sure, people have gotten away with it and the security staff has turned a blind-eye to it at times in the past, but I would guess that someone at some point created problem that it's now a issue they check on quite often. Just because someone got away with it before doesn't make it right now.

Do you have "proof" that money was taken from the bike program and used to buy "gay ass segways" as you put it or is it just something you overheard from someone? Again, not trying to take jabs, just trying to get to the facts.....as opposed to emotional internet postings.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I had an awesome time at the shoe. I had complaints as well...but I'm just going to use them as motivation for my own projects.

Back on track...I plan to see what timberline has to offer next time I'm in WV!
Nothing like using bad customer service/inefficiencies to further your own organization! I do that constantly.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no water at lifts, lifts opening late/closing early for no good reason, season pass rate has gone up. i could go on, but you're probably right, i'm hating with no good reason
whoa there tough guy settle down just asked what the story was...And there is a legitimate bear problem at the camp site in silvercreek, i have first hand been in the middle of a few of them.

Snowshoe's trails are the best they have been since opening years ago, but they do need a legit place to camp, if you have to pay so be it, lots of places you have to pay. They need to offer something though, esp with the way the economy is.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Timberline don't have a water cooler at the lift, but there is a hose close by.

There's no security, so you can pretty much camp where ya please, there are quite few sites close by. Camp 80 is cool with some great xcountry rides and is close to town for beer and food stops.

JR the summer mtn manager will beat you to death with kindness and enthusiasm for bike riders.

Check it out, I'm sure there's new trails and will be more to come, No lift lines, no attitude and no security guards belly aching about bears. It's worth supporting the little guy.

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
TLine has been mapped out extensively - with a variety of photos: landscape + action shots. As of last year, the maps are complete. HOWEVER, this year brings at least two new DH rides that you won't want to miss.
I'll be spending the next two weekends to map them out - but having walked one of them, I have to admit: it's pretty intense - and I love it.
More on that later. For now, you can stay tuned here:
www.visitcanaan.com where we update the area with photos - every day.
Thanks for the support!
(T-Line Ski Instructor - enjoying the freedom that a privately-owned resort offers in the summer)