Quantcast

Time ATAC Z pedals or Crank Bros Mallet M

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
i have the Time at the moment and just wondering which one is better? Cause i find it hard to clip in sometimes when i m racing with the Time pedals...and since the mallet has 4 sided entry does it mean i can clip in easier?

thanks for the help

KC

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i have a pair or mallets but haven't really got the balls to use them for dh. clipping in is easy, 3 ways to clip in, from the front, top and back. but for dh cliping in form the top would be nearly inpossible. so i think its safe to say that they would be easier to clip in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No, I wouldn't say the mallets are easier. You have to "roll" the mechanism against your shoe, unlike with the 4-sided eggbeaters where you can just "push" against them. The mallets don't always seat right and you have to "roll" them a couple times in some situations.

dondon

Monkey
Not sure what you mean by "roll" - If your cleat and shoe set up is correct then its the easiest thing in the world to get in and out. The cool thing with the mallet is that if you miss your intial attempt to clip in - you dont have to sit down and move your foot back to try again - you just press your weight down and it pops in. I dont mentally think about it - i just put my shoe in roughly the right area and apply some pressure and i know it will engage - either forwards, backwards or straight down.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I am not sure about how they compare to the times, but they are a bit hard to get into nothing that hinders me unless I am getting back in on the most tech sections of north start. The one thing i love about them over the shimanos that i love is that they are extreamly easy but my feet stay in ALL the time

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I started using my mallets during practice the day before a dh race at Plattekill in June. By the end of the weekend I was almost 100% confident with them. It was the first time I'd used clipless for DH and I'm glad I did. I'm thinking of getting a set of candys or another set of mallets for my trail bike.

I've never had any trouble getting in or out of the mallets after my first few runs on them. I've never run the Time Z's so I can't compare.

Edit: I did make a damn fool of myself at Bolton when I still was getting used to the pedals. I was sitting under the lift line on my bike, forgot i had the mallets and tried to put my foot down. I just tipped over and looked like an ass.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
I love my mallets too, just make sure you keep the cleats fresh. There made out of brass and wear rather quickly. After 1/2 a season mine were cooked and start to unclip randomly while riding... Also if your a harsh rider, the axles are abit soft, I tip in around 160 and have bent 2 axles this year. One was from cliping a rock. The other is just slightly bent from general riding.

Other then that they have been great I would recomend them and iam getting another set for my ht.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I've tried both, and didn't notice that one was really harder to get into than the other. I will say that the Mallets have waaaaaaaay too much float for my taste. Personally, I would use the Time pedals...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I just went from Shimano to Time's. It took two runs to feel comfortable with them. More float and more tension prior to release are the big plusses for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The mallets have no "guard" blocking rocks from hitting the bars like the times do on the bottom. This causes damage to the pedal and also releases your foot. I don't like that.

As far as engagement feel, they're almost the exact same pedal.

Edit: I've also felt like the shoes I tried on to check out the pedals needed to either be shaved to get my foot flat. They were gaerne (sp) xc shoes but I've heard other people have the same problems with the pedal platform sitting too high relative to the cleat, making your foot kind of go concave.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Last year, I raced the whole season on Time Z's, and this year I have raced all year on Mallets.
Getting in and out of both pedals are similar, as is float and all that other blabber. These are things that you can used to in a day on either pedal, and if not, Poker is a growing sport you should check in to. ;)
But I have noticed 3 distinct advantages with the Mallets.
1) The pedal body of the mallets will still grip your shoe when unclipped. If you have a clipless shoe with a skate sole, you can honestly ride them like flats when you have to.
2) Both of these pedals work well in the mud, regular mud.
But places like snowshoe that has ankle deep bear**** mud is a different story. Last year, I had to ditch my Times, and race on flats.
This year in the same conditions, the mallets were clearing mud like it was not even there, my shoe was still gripping the pedals as well.
3) Crank Bros. customer service has been crazy good.
Sending out extra parts etc....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I prefer times only because at times the Mallets feel vague and at times I couldn't tell whether I was in or out.....Time pedals have a more positive clipped in feel to me and less float....other than that I would say they are about equal...D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Some notes about Mallets:
1. Ask for the QUATTRO cleats. The metal is a little more durable (per Crank Bros.) and not as soft as the stock brass ones...for longer life.
2. They have recently upgraded the internal bearings to be more durable.
3. They've also upgraded the axle to a stronger grade for durability.

Positives:
1. Mud clearance second to none.
2. Mallet M's are 100 grams lighter than Times or Shimano's.
3. By flipping the cleat, you can change from 15 to 20 degree release (15 is awesome for DH b/c you can unclip quick)
4. Engagement front to back, back to front...or straight down.

Notes to improve performance:
1. Setup - Most likely installing 2 shims will aid clearance dramaticly and eases entry and release.
2. Cut out plenty of material on the sole of the shoe...about a 3 inch wide circle is good.
3. Pop the end plug off and torque the holding nut down from time to time.

If you can't click the shoe into the pedal with just your bare hand standing beside the bike, you've not got the above things set up right. If you have to stomp in, you need to do one of the above.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Thanks for the tips Butch. Just got some mallets tonite. Been riding SPD's for a year and still not that crazy about them. High hopes for the CBM's for mud season :thumb:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
just keep in mind Butch is sponsored by Crank Bros....I'm not saying anything negative about Butch...just consider the source. There are a lot of peolple on here who are sponsored or get help from various companies...you have to kind of read between the lines...that said, good luck with the mallets....D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
:heart: :heart:
BMXman said:
just keep in mind Butch is sponsored by Crank Bros....I'm not saying anything negative about Butch...just consider the source. There are a lot of peolple on here who are sponsored or get help from various companies...you have to kind of read between the lines...that said, good luck with the mallets....D
And Butch faithfully ran nothing but Shimano clipless for several years and enjoyed the heck out of them. I didn't say anything negative about any other brand at all bro.
Look at my positive comments...none were hype, all fact, all indisputable!

I made 3 statements about the cleat to use and the recent upgrades.
I made 3 statements about the physical working of the pedals (all fact)
I made 3 statements about how to properly set them up.

I didn't attempt to persuade anybody to buy Mallets at all. Not one of my statements suggested the guy even get a pair? Come on now...that's almost hateration....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
BMXman said:
just keep in mind Butch is sponsored by Crank Bros....I'm not saying anything negative about Butch...good luck with the mallets....D

don't get all sensitive on me now.....D

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
My choice was based on seeing fast xc guys using egg beaters and I like platforms so now I have both at the same time on my 6x6 trail rig. So far I like em first ride :thumb:

Chris

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Both are great pedals. I have run both for more than a season with zero issues.
People have reported problems with both designs, but nothing horrible.
I really don't think you can go wrong here.