Quantcast

Time Atac Z's vs. Any other clipless pedal

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Going back to clips after a few years of flats, but after riding in some old SPD's in peanut butter conditions I'm really hesitant of running these pedals since they clogged so easily.

After doing some research it looks as if the Time Atac Z's are at the top of the list. Are there any other pedals worth considering or any insight on the different ones out there? I do think that the Crank Bros. look the bit, but their track record is pretty weak so I'll probably stay away from those.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
i used to ride Times, then went to flats, then had go on an XC or two with the Times again - it didn't work.

After riding flats the Times felt like i was standing on two blocks of ice due to the amount of float they have. Basically it was too much of an extreme change - i'll be using Shimanos again in the future.

Just my £0.02

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I used to ride the Z pedals, and switched to Crank Bros Mallets because of price. I find they perform equally when new, but the Mallets (or maybe its the cleats, I'm not sure) wear out much quicker. I could get at least two season on Times, and my Mallets are done after one season this year. Generally, I've found the craftmanship better on Times.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm still on the same pair of Time Z's that I bought in 2005. Those pedals just last. I briefly tried Crank Brothers in 07 and had very bad luck with regards to durability and dependability. (ever come upclipped unexpectedly while doubling up rocks?)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Times for life. I run flats on nasty, loose DH courses but I switch back without any issues. If you're pedaling up, clips are pretty nice.
I've got 4 sets, no issues ever. Much more reliable than the crank bros I've run.
As long as you can deal with the strong retention. I like the snappy in and out feel, but some people like their pedal springs really soft and you can't get that with Time or CB.
And for DH, the Hematoma is a great match.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I used to ride the Z pedals, and switched to Crank Bros Mallets because of price. I find they perform equally when new, but the Mallets (or maybe its the cleats, I'm not sure) wear out much quicker. I could get at least two season on Times, and my Mallets are done after one season this year. Generally, I've found the craftmanship better on Times.
Yep.

I rode Time ATAC pedals forever as an XC rider. When I started riding FR/DH I rode flats exclusively for 2 seasons then went back to clipless when Crank Bros introduced the Mallet. I rode the Mallets for a few seasons and I would agree their craftsmanship and durability are nowhere near as good as Times. I've never had to rebuild or throw away a Time pedal, but I've had to rebuild every single Mallet I've owned, and the rebuild is required after only a short while. Crank Bros stuff is all about packaging, not about durability.

The Time Z pedal is pretty good but I still think the original ATAC is the best Time pedal. I scrounge eBay for original ATACs and buy them when they're at a good price in good shape. The newer ATAC model is trying to compete with the super-tiny format that's common in XC racing these days and I don't like those super-tiny pedals.

But if you're going to bash rocks all the time, the Z pedal is the one you want.

In a rock garden, the Crank Bros Mallet will sometimes hit a rock and eject your foot. That won't happen with the Time Z.